Best Temperature / Humidity measurement device

Good Day Community, What is the most accurate temperature / Humidity measuring device.

Im current using the the below three devices but all their measurements are different. I want to set my controller to a perfect settings to maintain the temperature and humidity but not sure which one to believe. I  have build myself a control system if you can call it that , to manage the environment so just want to make sure. 

2088577383_DigitalTempController.JPG.4654d4b6128c91039e40961549242296.JPG1458820014_MiniHygroMeter.JPG.b5870d18b9ddacbd23b7d0c4af89a2aa.JPG18819709_DigitalClock-TEMP-Humidity.JPG.654f1acf9ac6474874a3f0e7765d89c7.JPG

My  Environment control system.

IMG-20200706-WA0019.thumb.jpg.23be7ce91860af5b81c6fed455c7e6ba.jpg

There is also a difference between RH and Humidity.

RH is relative humidity, to the temp on that same display or meter.

Humidity, is what you'll see on a dehumidifier, it will show the true humidity, vs the relative humidity and nothing to do with temp.

So you can have 50% RH @ 27deg and still have "for example" 100% humidity in the room. Very easily. 

Sorry to confuse this more🙈

Edited by StickyD420
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

There is also a difference between RH and Humidity.

RH is relative humidity, to the temp on that same display or meter.

Humidity, is what you'll see on a dehumidifier, it will show the true humidity, vs the relative humidity and nothing to do with temp.

So you can have 50% RH @ 27deg and still have 100% humidity in the room. Very easily. 

Sorry to confuse this more🙈

I think you're gonna need to explain this better... Humidity is the amount of moisture the air can hold. 

I have to disagree with you about having a tent that's 100% humid, with a meter reading 50%... One of the meters is lying lol

The only way that's possible is if your RH sensor is right by your intake and gets the fresh air blowing over it always while another sensor is buried deep in your canopy... But either way... You gonna have issues if your meters are allowing that kind of descrepency in a tented environment

• Agree 2

I definitely need to explain it better haha,

Made an example with the difference of 50 to 100. But my dehumidifier and my HTC2 are never the same.

Your temp and humidity display, will show relative humidity, which is never true humidity, but the humidity of that specific temp which its currently showing.

Walking into my room, the temperature gauge showed temp of 26.4 with a 55 RH and my dehumidifier 43.

After 10min the temperature was 25.7 with an RH of 49. Still showing 43 on my dehumidifier. 

The 2, will never be the same unless you keep adjusting the dehumidifier to be closer throughout the day, when you can rather set it at 55 and forget it, and it will turn on and off regardless. 

You can have as high as 70 humidity, and still showing 50 RH if the temp was right.

Edited by StickyD420
  • Like 1

There is an extremely good video explaining all that, I just cant recall if it was Bruce Bugbee or Harley Smith and have found the one video of Bruce / Apogee Instruments, where he explains it, but it's not the video I recall watching which had it explained better.

I can link it here if you like, and only try help when I give advice or share with people.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

There is an extremely good video explaining all that, I just cant recall if it was Bruce Bugbee or Harley Smith and have found the one video of Bruce / Apogee Instruments, where he explains it, but it's not the video I recall watching which had it explained better.

I can link it here if you like, and only try help when I give advice or share with people.

Yea dude, always down to learn something new. See if you can find some shiz when you have a gap👌

• Like 2

I'm really trying to find that other video though.

The way he explains it, you are like at 25deg and have say 50 RH, which is perfect. But if that temp went up or down by 5deg, cant recall now, it was badly out and you'd get WPM fast.

That's why I run my dehumidifier all day at a set humidity, regardless of the RH shown, I follow the VPD method and think I came across the video learning about VPD.

Edited by StickyD420
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CreX said:

I think you're gonna need to explain this better... Humidity is the amount of moisture the air can hold. 

I have to disagree with you about having a tent that's 100% humid, with a meter reading 50%... One of the meters is lying lol

The only way that's possible is if your RH sensor is right by your intake and gets the fresh air blowing over it always while another sensor is buried deep in your canopy... But either way... You gonna have issues if your meters are allowing that kind of descrepency in a tented environment

You see @CreX those damn lying RH meters🙃

Your Hygrometer isn't giving actual humidity and it can be dangerous if you have any temp drops below 10deg difference and dont have an eye on things unfortunately 

• Like 1

I can see this being a real factor in Winter and in flower. Probably explains all the powdery mildew issues this last season.

However I'm sure a good extraction system coupled with good airflow in the tent could prevent any spikes in humidity, warranted the intake humidity isn't super high. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ill_Evan said:

However I'm sure a good extraction system coupled with good airflow in the tent could prevent any spikes in humidity, warranted the intake humidity isn't super high. 

Which is correct to say that the extraction fan would bring down the RH as the temp drops, though the trick comes in bringing in that air to the space that is already at humidity you want, and not the relative temperature based humidity, as stated is more suited for human comfort and not for plant growth. 

I took some time to get this right and in practice and have seen the difference first hand, and again not here to stand on toes or force my understanding on anyone else, I love a good debate and that is the only way we learn new things.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Which is correct to say that the extraction fan would bring down the RH as the temp drops, though the trick comes in bringing in that air to the space that is already at humidity you want, and not the relative temperature based humidity, as stated is more suited for human comfort and not for plant growth. 

I took some time to get this right and in practice and have seen the difference first hand, and again not here to stand on toes or force my understanding on anyone else, I love a good debate and that is the only way we learn new things.

So with all this knowledge shared would it be best to bring in fresh air from outside rather then the air within the room. 

To add,

If your air you bring into the grow space is per your hygrometer, and the RH it displays, then you are essentially bringing in more dense air than you are reading, that is the point you want to avoid as I understand it.

Same with the discussion the other day on drying it for 14 days and that time been far to long, and without name dropping, when debating that fact as 5 to 7 days, was told by someone from the USA, StickyD420 you spend 2 to 3 months growing, 3 month to flower it, and then you want to, and his words "f#@k it up" by rushing the dry by half.

6 minutes ago, Newbie_2020 said:

So with all this knowledge shared would it be best to bring in fresh air from outside rather then the air within the room. 

I find it best to control the humidity in a room or area and then bring that into the space for best results, and set it once your preference. 

You'll see the hygrometer will still show different inside the tent, but the air coming in is perfect and ready.

Edited by StickyD420
  • Thanks 1