Quick Question To Save My Plant(s) - Deficiency?

BigBud

Question

Hi

I am new to growing and this is my first 'real' grow.

I wanted to start out easy with a soil that doesn't need much, you know, just add water. This was not available so opted for freedom farms soil(green bag) and General Hydroponic nutes.

So my nute ratios on 2l water are as follows:

Grow-2ml

Micro-0.6ml

Bloom-2ml

This as per bottle. Im in Veg

Please see photos attached and help me out

I have read (recently), to use half of the recommended amount. So could i have Nitrogen burn? But the veins on leafs look like a magnesium deficiency....

If it's magnesium, can i grind up some Dolomite to add with my watering? Also, is dolomite bought at Dischem ok? It is calcium and magnesium.

If its nitrogen burn, must i flush? I've been watering with ph 6.3 water the last two waterings.

I have another plant, fed the same batch of nutes but she looks fine accept for this one leaf. Last photo.

This turned out to be a longer question than expected.

Thanks for being interested to read all this :)6aca1a40784c44ce9bf6d56c5dab492f.jpg1eefe21860b6910a84ddf5391e92ea71.jpg66f5db2c71deda0f18cfe0e3fdf5f979.jpgec2799645d43aabec7e47dd7351c1195.jpg1bf44e5bf05dd252b198f06b965326de.jpgc1a0dd02e75a924c728af814599eb346.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

12 answers to this question

Morning bruh,

I grow organic in soil, but have done hydro.

First thing. Hydroponic nutes in soil is going to give you all kinds of problems.

In my opinion it's either hydro or organic, mixing the two is really problematic.

Your plants are showing tip burn allready, so too strong nute mix and the leaves look ''hard/crispy''.

2nd plant also looks like early stages of N tox.

Give us a rundown on your grow, indoor, outdoor, nutes, brand etc.. it'll help the more experienced hydro growers to comment on a possible solution.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Why do you give nutrients to an organic soil. I am currenly growing a plant in that soil just to test it an have fed biobizz bloom a couple of times. It does not need much.

If I was you I would water once or twice with plain water untill I see run off then find a good microbial inoculant like explodegrow from papaj's shop or jamies garden shop. And switch to biobizz nutrients if you really want to give something.

Dont add more shit it just causes more problems.

Edited by SkunkPharm

@SkunkPharm@Bospatrollie2
Thanks for the reply guys

Maybe let me just mention that both these plants are bagseeds. I wanted to get my first learnings without wastage. As you can see, i would've f#cked it!

So i was looking for organic soil initially. The reason i thought it's not, is the fact that the hydro shop guy dropped the nutes in my hand with the purchase of the soil. He did some explaining but i was overwhelmed by the fact that I'm going balls deep, giving nutes and so on.

I did notice that the soil already contains Nitrogen, postasium, phosphorus, Calcium and Magnesium but thought that it's too little for "from seed to harvest" grow, so added nutes.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but General Hydroponics nutrients for soil and hydro are the same but the ratios differ? Really hope this is the case.

I have been watering with ph'ed water with slight runoff (full runoff not ideal for where im growing)
I'm not adding anything else and giving adequate time to dry

Some more details:
I grow in a 80*80*160 tent.
Light is a TS1000 (not Mars but Hydro Depot) should be the same thing right?
Nute mix from 3 waters back was 1.9 ml grow. 0.5ml micro, 1.9ml bloom, this to 2litres of water. I mix in a bit of kelp and ph it to 6.3 - 6.5. I dont have a EC meter.

Experiencing a bit of a Humidity problem with my RH rising to 71% and dropping to 59% and very unsure what to do about it. My extraction is full blast, fan circulation should be ok (no oscilation though) and watered quite some time ago.
I had a tomato plant in there but took it out now hoping i get humidity at most 63%
Anyway

I'll check out papaj's today and will give biobizz a go. For now I'll have to do with the +-350ml GH i bought as i spent quite a bit to get all the starting stuff.

Is it not possible to flush and decrease my nutrients to a quater of what i'm using? Or will that not be enough...

Thanks again!

@SkunkPharm@Bospatrollie2
Thanks for the reply guys

Maybe let me just mention that both these plants are bagseeds. I wanted to get my first learnings without wastage. As you can see, i would've f#cked it!

So i was looking for organic soil initially. The reason i thought it's not, is the fact that the hydro shop guy dropped the nutes in my hand with the purchase of the soil. He did some explaining but i was overwhelmed by the fact that I'm going balls deep, giving nutes and so on.

I did notice that the soil already contains Nitrogen, postasium, phosphorus, Calcium and Magnesium but thought that it's too little for "from seed to harvest" grow, so added nutes.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but General Hydroponics nutrients for soil and hydro are the same but the ratios differ? Really hope this is the case.

I have been watering with ph'ed water with slight runoff (full runoff not ideal for where im growing)
I'm not adding anything else and giving adequate time to dry

Some more details:
I grow in a 80*80*160 tent.
Light is a TS1000 (not Mars but Hydro Depot) should be the same thing right?
Nute mix from 3 waters back was 1.9 ml grow. 0.5ml micro, 1.9ml bloom, this to 2litres of water. I mix in a bit of kelp and ph it to 6.3 - 6.5. I dont have a EC meter.

Experiencing a bit of a Humidity problem with my RH rising to 71% and dropping to 59% and very unsure what to do about it. My extraction is full blast, fan circulation should be ok (no oscilation though) and watered quite some time ago.
I had a tomato plant in there but took it out now hoping i get humidity at most 63%
Anyway

I'll check out papaj's today and will give biobizz a go. For now I'll have to do with the +-350ml GH i bought as i spent quite a bit to get all the starting stuff.

Is it not possible to flush and decrease my nutrients to a quater of what i'm using? Or will that not be enough...

Thanks again!

Hydro nutes are salt based and suitable for inert hydro mediums like coco and leca hence you need to ph etc..(you control everything)
Soil is an intricate biosphere with many automatic internal regulating ''processes'' and contains additional elements/amendments as you mentioned as well as micro organisms(they do the work, but you have to keep them happy).
The soil has the capacity to buffer your feeding to the plants required ph in the rootzones.
By feeding living soil with hydro nutes you are damaging the soils natural buffering capacity and possibly killing off the natural miro organisms that facilitate normal feeding in soil.
Basically causing a shit storm in the rootzone that will affect your plants negatively and making it very difficult to diagnose and repair.

If you want to stay with soil, do a flush to get rid of the salt based stuff and aquire a ''micro'' innoculant to put the good beneficial organisms back in the soil and some organic nutes.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

from the pictures i would quickly say that you have what seems like Potassuim def, coupled with magnesuim def, coupled with increased storage of nitrogen , but i wouldnt say its toxic yeeeeeet.

my advice, as contrary to @skunkpharm as it may seem. i would mix a feed of epsom salts (NOTCALMAG - we dont want the calcuim nitrate in the callmag, just the mag) and your GHE bloom nutes at labled dose of whatever per liter.

and then the next few feeds only with water - depending on the reaction

and maybe mix 50ml of milk into the feed for the microbes, maybe alil mollasses and you should be fine.

Identify the problem - make one adjustment - monitor

be careful not to over fix an issue

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Wow this forum is excellent!

Extra note: i see the nutes the oak gave me are for soil except the micro, this is for hydro and the Formula i Followed For the First Few Feeds. omF!!

Thanks for the info@Bospatrollie2, that explains quite a bit and understand way better now.
@CreX - since this is an experiment to find my feet i'd like to try both suggestions but for obvious reasons tight on funds.
I'll try skunkpharms suggestion on the plant thats still looking ok, hopefully payday. For the plant that needs help right now, heading to the shops to buy a packet of Epson salt right away. And definitely going to add milk .

One question, do i give this feed properly till runoff and only once?
One if the things i did wrong is feed with every watering (i probably Watered with pure Water every 5th Watering ) omW!!

I'll post here on their progress.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BigBud said:

i see the nutes the oak gave me are for soil except the micro

Mmmm...if it's GHE that micro should be both for hydro/soil. Hydro ratios are usually on the left of the label on the bottle, soil on the right. 

19 minutes ago, BigBud said:

One if the things i did wrong is feed with every watering (i probably Watered with pure Water every 5th Watering

Well, some nute brands do recommend feeding every watering, like the BioBizz that was suggested. 

• Like 3

.if it's GHE that micro should be both for hydro/soil. Hydro ratios are usually on the left of the label on the bottle, soil on the right. 

Thanks for this.
Can not believe i didn't see this....

• Like 1

Reporting back and things are looking bleak...

So on 4June i gave both my ladies ¼epson salt per liter of water and flushed them best i could. I actually realized that I'm having difficulty saturating all the soil :/ . As if only the top gets wet even though is see runoff. I use a pressure sprayer.

I haven't fed them since 4th. I noticed small root-like objects on the top soil so i topped her off with more soil and gave them a small amount of water with half strength micro as @Jimmy-z suggested.

I'll keep monitoring and feeding pure water from now on . Scared of feeding more nutes.

Anyway, here's some pics of them being sad, hopefully they're showing clearer signs of what the issue can be.f739b1c41015e1eafb27e0b2caa2615a.jpge20445f768f59887b04d19efde43f607.jpg208669b881ab7d29a0d4f09b691c5f9d.jpg60d437e09585a55b1ad3b9c3ab73e4bb.jpga7f894a4079bee6412fac94d8357eab1.jpg9f62962637de88ee75bb4b22a4aefea2.jpg6815c3950a2f57595e9e2c18ccc4a930.jpg

Long time but here's my update.

It's quite the challenge getting them back with my inexperienced brain.

So, i tried epson salts, extra potassium, added a dehumidifier. I flushed best I could and back to step 1 again. Eventually i just gave her the same nutrient mix as at the start. New growth exploded the next 3 says.

Unfortunately she was shocked for a long time, me ending up in veg vir 10 weeks .
They're in flowering now and cannot wait to start again after harvest.

Thanks all for the guidance. Learning is fun081662689ad6cf17e27f602d14c2c4a9.jpg07c397db5d2e0dd34677a5ce310a8921.jpg

• Like 4