Growing from seeds

22 minutes ago, Dank said:

@Freshlypicked dial in your watering and u will be ok. 

Overwatering stunts young plants quite badly.

Im assuming u have good extraction and intake for fresh o2.

Not having good airflow can slow things down as well.

yes i did over water in the begining. But i think its doing good currently.

I also do have a fan that runs 25 hours for fresh air....

Other question- the below feeding is it proper or should i use other stuff? Those im using is natural so you cant burn or over feed the plants according to the information

20200708_180819.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Freshlypicked said:

Thanks for the info.

Theres other guys that said i must go lower than 1000w.... soo jaaa its a bit confusing thats i used ma the inbetween 600w MH lamp and then HPS for flowering....

Havent heard of quantum boards yet...will do a bit of google on those

Its the shit right now brother.

Best all rounder.

2 minutes ago, afternoon blazer said:

Might be.

But

in terms of heat

In terms of coverage

In terms of life span

In terms of power usage

In terms of size

LED is boss.

Okay i understand. But cant believe that LED's heat is better than MH or HPS

But i think ill have to invest in a LED

2 minutes ago, Freshlypicked said:

Okay i understand. But cant believe that LED's heat is better than MH or HPS

But i think ill have to invest in a LED

Led market is vast bro. Have to do your research on what your needs are first.

Also i suggest u spec a light 1 size up. As these lights get really expensive and its always better to give yourself a good buffer for the future instead of having to upgrade later at another large amount.

However this only gets expensive if u want a complete grow light to run from seed to harvest.

Led lights for vegging are extremely affordable right now fow what u getting.

I know about 6 guys on here including me thats using the acdc floodlights. 

And so far not 1 negative remark.

Light costs under R400.

But if u go this route. U woukd have to use the sun for flower only later on. As the light wouldnt be appropriate for flowering. 

Nice cheap simple solution for veg though.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, afternoon blazer said:

Led market is vast bro. Have to do your research on what your needs are first.

Also i suggest u spec a light 1 size up. As these lights get really expensive and its always better to give yourself a good buffer for the future instead of having to upgrade later at another large amount.

However this only gets expensive if u want a complete grow light to run from seed to harvest.

Led lights for vegging are extremely affordable right now fow what u getting.

I know about 6 guys on here including me thats using the acdc floodlights. 

And so far not 1 negative remark.

Light costs under R400.

But if u go this route. U woukd have to use the sun for flower only later on. As the light wouldnt be appropriate for flowering. 

Nice cheap simple solution for veg though.

Thank you.... my MH and HPS light were thay much only for the bulp! Hahaaha

How much watts is your floodlight? And how long do you run them at a time? Do they give off enough heat for the temp to be between 20 and 30 degrees?

And lastly how many do you have for the amount of plants you have?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Freshlypicked said:

Thank you.... my MH and HPS light were thay much only for the bulp! Hahaaha

How much watts is your floodlight? And how long do you run them at a time? Do they give off enough heat for the temp to be between 20 and 30 degrees?

And lastly how many do you have for the amount of plants you have?

Ok so the floodlight im running is 150w cool white.

I have a 500x700x1000 grow box. Light mounted to the outside. I raise the plants to the light. At 350mm away temp is 26-28 degrees.

At 400mm away temps are at 25-27 degrees.

These temps are with no circulation fans or extraction running.

Subtract a degree or 2 for every fan i put on.(i have small fans) at this seedling stage im just using 1 small fan.

I am planning to run a max of 2 plants in the veg box. Right now i just have 1 plant in there.

But another member was vegging 4 plants under 1 x 50w led floodlight. And they seem to do ok.

U can run them 24 hours on. The first week of sprouting i did that. 

And i use the sun as much as i can. And anytime i cant use good direct sunlight. I put them under the light.

This is a easy process when u have a few plants. But if u got an army. It becomes a challenge.

Edited by afternoon blazer
More info
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, afternoon blazer said:

Ok so the floodlight im running is 150w cool white.

I have a 500x700x1000 grow box. Light mounted to the outside. I raise the plants to the light. At 350mm away temp is 26-28 degrees.

At 400mm away temps are at 25-27 degrees.

These temps are with no circulation fans or extraction running.

Subtract a degree or 2 for every fan i put on.(i have small fans) at this seedling stage im just using 1 small fan.

I am planning to run a max of 2 plants in the veg box. Right now i just have 1 plant in there.

But another member was vegging 4 plants under 1 x 50w led floodlight. And they seem to do ok.

Gees.....think im going to ACDC this weekend🤔

How often do you water your plants?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Freshlypicked said:

But isnt MH and HPS lights better than LEDs?

In terms of light spectrum and bud quality, I absolutely believe HID bulbs beat LED (quantum board with Samsung LM301B/H diodes specifically). 

However at the cost of more heat, less light spread and higher electricity cost, all of which the average homegrower wants the opposite of. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

My guess would be, either pH or 2 part second half answer, being over watering, or looking to me like you watering inside only.

Can cause that root ball to be outside the watering zone, and make the plant do that if some roots are wet and some roots are dry.

Didn't read all your thread to see your whole setup or nutrients and so on.

• Like 1

If anything, your plants look healthy. Sometimes they be droopy mahn :-rasta
I agree.. Sometimes they're thirsty, tired, overwatered, overheating, or just not awake properly.

If you tree has been thirsty, it'll be a little while after you give it water until it perks up again.

Sometimes they're just droopy because your VPD may be a bit off - which is like the plant being picky about its conditions. So don't stress so much about it.

As long as they don't start looking like the tree in the pic I've attached, you're fine... Just so you know, the tree in the pic didn't die because of that... In fact it took just a day to recover - she was severely dehydrated.
fb0fdc8f9e1cc86384cce3e724025be0.jpg

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

• Agree 1

Just now, Freshlypicked said:

Hi guys....an update on my grow.

All the plants look good. Starting to push nicely now.

I also tried to clone my big plant. Its day 2 on the photo and the still looking good. Thumbs up

20200807_054828.jpg

20200807_054854.jpg

20200807_054845.jpg

20200807_054924.jpg

Its on week 6 in total now. Some only on week 4(mother plant and). Then 4 small ones on week 3 now.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fridgedoor said:

@FreshlypickedLooking good! And good luck with those clones.

Do you use something like a humidity dome over the clones? I mean the clones look perky but that's what I always do to make sure they can take up enough humidity via their leaves

Well its my first try. But no have no dome over them. Actually think its a good idea.....

But i do keep them moist. And used hormone powder on the stem when i inserted them.

Well the leaves havent curled up or started to be droopy yet soo its a good sign hopefully

Hi guys....just an update on my grow.

Things seem to go slow.....

Big plant is flowering currently. Also switched to HPS light for her....also trimed away some of the big leaves. Must i trim more?

My one clone from the mother plant seems to be growing, atleast 50% success rate. But also must say used different sections to see what will work.

Does everything look good. Or any tips or something i must change?

20200814_171921.jpg

20200814_172118.jpg

20200814_171942.jpg

20200814_171936.jpg

• Like 2

Loads of tips from the bois!! 

My 2c would be... Well quite a few cents actually. 

1)light - the light you have is really great for veg and flower, but its value will be in the flowering stage mostly. - I would follow @afternoon blazer advice about the Acdc lights... Really good bang for your buck for veg growth.

And then use the 600w HPS for flower only. Recipe for success with lighting. I wouldn't fully convert to LED just yet if you are happy paying the electric bill you get. But it's definitely where the market is moving LED quantam boards and high output diodes. 

2)the meduim. 

Christ it looks scary... The barky bits are no good. I would honestly try cut the plants out of that meduim, even if you damage some of the roots, and put it in the meduim with perlite. I recommend getting yourself some coco and mixing it with the perlite. This is the right meduim for cannabis. Even the soil soils are mixed with a lot of coco to make it a lighter arier meduim. 

Or get one of the recommended brands and use as is. Telling you... Guaranteed success son. 

3)the nutes. 

Seagrow is a great all round nute source! And is a valuble addition to your toolbelt. There are tons of better nutes available... But this is not the worst you can do either... So all good man. If you can afford other nutes, I will suggest the biobizz range. 

How are you feeding the plants? 

This is where I want to highlight the most. Not a single one of your plant pics has a moderately dried out meduim... Every Pic you posted has drenched pots. The amount of water in the pots with the seedling should be fine for like the next 2 weeks without watering. And your bigger ones should be fine for like a week as well. 

And you should not be using any of the seagrow nutes at all yet... Plants are just too small. 

It would seem as you have been caught in the new hobby snare... Loving your new passion to death. 

This is a long game... Zero aspects of growing require constant adjustment. 

My 4c is you have not been letting your meduim dry out sufficiently. 

Light is good, nutes are good, airflow is good.... Watering habits are bad... Naughty naughty lol. 

As you are new, use this tip to help with watering. Actually, here's 2 tips for watering. 

A) pot weight test. Weigh your meduim before you water it... So you know what a 'light' meduim feels like... And then water, and only water again when the pot is light, or you have weighed it again and it is getting close to the base number. This approach works well with few plants. 

B) the knuckle test. Get your fingers stuck in there man... I don't water a damn thing until I can feel that the meduim is only alil moist about 2 knuckles down. That's about 5cm...2 whole inches. 

Then water till you get a bit of runoff, and then you are good again for a while. 

Cannabis NEEDs to have a wet to dry cycle. Not a wet to moist cycle. 

Peace and love bud! I know you gonna get this right😉✌️

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, CreX said:

Loads of tips from the bois!! 

My 2c would be... Well quite a few cents actually. 

1)light - the light you have is really great for veg and flower, but its value will be in the flowering stage mostly. - I would follow @afternoon blazer advice about the Acdc lights... Really good bang for your buck for veg growth.

And then use the 600w HPS for flower only. Recipe for success with lighting. I wouldn't fully convert to LED just yet if you are happy paying the electric bill you get. But it's definitely where the market is moving LED quantam boards and high output diodes. 

2)the meduim. 

Christ it looks scary... The barky bits are no good. I would honestly try cut the plants out of that meduim, even if you damage some of the roots, and put it in the meduim with perlite. I recommend getting yourself some coco and mixing it with the perlite. This is the right meduim for cannabis. Even the soil soils are mixed with a lot of coco to make it a lighter arier meduim. 

Or get one of the recommended brands and use as is. Telling you... Guaranteed success son. 

3)the nutes. 

Seagrow is a great all round nute source! And is a valuble addition to your toolbelt. There are tons of better nutes available... But this is not the worst you can do either... So all good man. If you can afford other nutes, I will suggest the biobizz range. 

How are you feeding the plants? 

This is where I want to highlight the most. Not a single one of your plant pics has a moderately dried out meduim... Every Pic you posted has drenched pots. The amount of water in the pots with the seedling should be fine for like the next 2 weeks without watering. And your bigger ones should be fine for like a week as well. 

And you should not be using any of the seagrow nutes at all yet... Plants are just too small. 

It would seem as you have been caught in the new hobby snare... Loving your new passion to death. 

This is a long game... Zero aspects of growing require constant adjustment. 

My 4c is you have not been letting your meduim dry out sufficiently. 

Light is good, nutes are good, airflow is good.... Watering habits are bad... Naughty naughty lol. 

As you are new, use this tip to help with watering. Actually, here's 2 tips for watering. 

A) pot weight test. Weigh your meduim before you water it... So you know what a 'light' meduim feels like... And then water, and only water again when the pot is light, or you have weighed it again and it is getting close to the base number. This approach works well with few plants. 

B) the knuckle test. Get your fingers stuck in there man... I don't water a damn thing until I can feel that the meduim is only alil moist about 2 knuckles down. That's about 5cm...2 whole inches. 

Then water till you get a bit of runoff, and then you are good again for a while. 

Cannabis NEEDs to have a wet to dry cycle. Not a wet to moist cycle. 

Peace and love bud! I know you gonna get this right😉✌️

Sheeww @CreX thats quite some info man. Had to take a reading break half way through. 😅

• Haha 1