Growing from seeds

Hi guys. Im n new grower and started off from seeds i bought online.

I needs some help and advice. Ive been going for about week and a half. But its seem like its going slow... im using a 600w HPS light with humidifier and regular watering. 

Seedlings are about 3-5cm high now. Is it going good or to slow( day 9)? 

• Like 2

That's fine for distance. Try getting your night-time temps up in the 20's during veg. If you're not worried about electricity costs, you can tune your lights to 24hrs in veg to help with the temps. 

Also, patience. The seedlings are probably working on their roots when you don't see much leaf development, then all of a sudden you see a boom in growth. Just keep them happy for now, definitely get those night temps up for now. 

I also assume you know a 600W HPS isn't the best for veg but if you need one bulb for a whole grow a 600W HPS will do it. Just beware you may have stretchy plants in veg by using the HPS bulb. MH bulbs keep the plants nice and short. Swazi is a sativa so it's already a stretchy plant by nature, so you will definitely have to top or something to tame her indoors. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Okay thank you for the assistance. I do have the MH bulb also. On the internet they say the MH must be used for flowering stage....thats why i have the HPS bulb on currently.

The other thing is i did keep the light on 24hours but someone said i must do 18hours light and 6 hours darkness. I will def top the swazi when its got a bit bigger 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Freshlypicked said:

Okay thank you for the assistance. I do have the MH bulb also. On the internet they say the MH must be used for flowering stage....thats why i have the HPS bulb on currently.

The other thing is i did keep the light on 24hours but someone said i must do 18hours light and 6 hours darkness. I will def top the swazi when its got a bit bigger 

It's the other way around actually hehe. 

MH for veg because of the 6000k colour

And HPS is for flower for the very orange red 2700k light

Good for having both bru!! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Freshlypicked said:

On the internet they say the MH must be used for flowering stage....thats why i have the HPS bulb on currently.

Eish post me which internet tuned you that. MH is veg, HPS is flower. 

5 hours ago, Freshlypicked said:

The other thing is i did keep the light on 24hours but someone said i must do 18hours light and 6 hours darkness. 

Like I say ching chong, I think you should raise your temps at night, and a method of doing that with bulbs is to keep the lights on 24hrs. Ain't no problem. 18-6 is good to help with temp management when things are too hot. It is also the gold standard of light timing in veg. However, 24hrs is also just as fine. 

2 hours ago, CreX said:

I will def top the swazi when its got a bit bigger 

I like it when you talk foreign to me. 

• Like 3

How about putting up some pictures of your plants man, it would help us see where they're at and give us a look at your soil... And yeah, MH for veg, HPS for flower.

Also, what's you RH at and do you mean by regular watering?... Seedlings don't need that much water I feel.

My seedlings spend the first week in a really small container and get watered every 2nd day. I ensure the top 2-3cm of the soil is dry before I water it again as the roots need a healthy wet and dry cycle.

I transplant into the veg container at day 7 or 8 and saturate the medium that's around the transplanted medium so the roots search out for water.

From my experience, plants that are 9 days old have been properly watered a maximum of 4 times.
I use a spritz bottle to mist the seedlings on the days in between if need be.

This of course is for soil. A hydro setup would be different.

Anyway, if you could share some more info on your grow, that would help a lot... Those pictures also

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheUltimateNoob said:

How about putting up some pictures of your plants man, it would help us see where they're at and give us a look at your soil... And yeah, MH for veg, HPS for flower.

Also, what's you RH at and do you mean by regular watering?... Seedlings don't need that much water I feel.

My seedlings spend the first week in a really small container and get watered every 2nd day. I ensure the top 2-3cm of the soil is dry before I water it again as the roots need a healthy wet and dry cycle.

I transplant into the veg container at day 7 or 8 and saturate the medium that's around the transplanted medium so the roots search out for water.

From my experience, plants that are 9 days old have been properly watered a maximum of 4 times.
I use a spritz bottle to mist the seedlings on the days in between if need be.

This of course is for soil. A hydro setup would be different.

Anyway, if you could share some more info on your grow, that would help a lot... Those pictures also emoji1362.png

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Okay.....i went back to my lighting and yes MH is currently runnig. So my mind was confused....

Im useing seedling mix i got from the nursery where i planted them in thats mixed with another type of potting material( very fine and fluffy). Didnt use small pot bags....planted them straight in big ones. They do have drainage holes

I am also only watering them when they get littlw dry ontop. And then use the misting spray for inbetween. I have a humidifier running that brings the humidity up to 70%. But it fluctuate between 30 to 70....

I dont have a grow tent. Made a diy setup hahahaha

20200701_010440.jpg

20200701_010437.jpg

20200629_201048.jpg

• Like 3

Not even 'ultimate' grow, just 'a' grow. Let's get the basics down first.

Look for cannabis specific soils such as Freedom Farms Classic, Just Cannabis and Living Organics. 

Or when you notice the price of organic nutrients, you may decide to go coco and use hydroponic nutrients. 

If I had to make a guess the Swazi is probably photo. I am not aware of an auto swazi. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Agree with the bark(acidic) and ''nursery potting soil'' comments.
Most ''store bought'' mixes are not ideal for cannabis-some are even lethal.
Would suggest you look at aerating the mix as well by adding some perlite, it will also aid with drainage.
Also with that size bag, go easy on the watering.
Those size bags will take long to dry out, you risk the seedlings damping off. Those size seedlings need about 250ml every 3rd day only and no nutes untill about 3 weeks old.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

Update on my seedlings.

Its day 17 now. Its still seems like my seedlings are slow.

I transplanted some of them into a better mix. Mixed 50/50 seedling mix with pertile. Only transplanted half of them so see whats the difference.

I took pictures on past sunday. Seems like the ground is drying out to quick now! Pushed my finger deep but barly felt moisture. Watered the previous day.....

I dont know what can be the fault.

Humidity-40-60%, temp 21-27C , have a fan thats runnig for fresh air. Light is on a 18 hour shift 6 dark. Hp levels say between 6 and 7.

The ones without the pertile mix looks healthier

Can someone assist please?

20200704_185109.jpg

20200706_190350.jpg

20200706_190327.jpg

20200704_185102.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome to the fam @Freshlypicked :-thumbsup

A nice airy soilmix should get dry enough to water in about 3 to 4 days when plants are young.

As they grow u will notice them requiring more watering at times when roots have filled the pots.

Seedlings take their time getting outa the gate, like @Ill_Evan mentioned, developing their root mass etc.

Transplanting probably slowed them down a bit as well, give em some time and they ill pick up speed.

In a seedling mix they will probably start requiring some nutrients when they get bigger.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys.

An update on my plants.

First 4 standing on 5 weeks now. My one autoflowering is starting to flower. But is still very small.😑 the other 3 swazi golds are also still small.

I also planted another autoflower seed(3weeks currently) and looks awesome compaired to the first 4 seeds.

I also did a test with untested seeds i bought with jiffy pellets. And planted them over in smaller plastic bags yesterday(2weeks now)

Do you guys have any other tips for me?

My watering is a lot less than what i started off.( think i overwatered them) i also took away my humidifier( warm steam) and it actually worked. Think the steam burned the leaves. 

Just seems like my grow doesnt want to be a proper grow😪

20200727_180030.jpg

20200727_180023.jpg

20200727_180005.jpg

20200727_175955.jpg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Freshlypicked said:

Do you guys have any other tips for me?

Got any idea what you pH is like? They look like they were stunted. The autoflower won't do you too much I rate. The phenos could still recover over time. 

You using 600W MH at the moment yeah? 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ill_Evan said:

Got any idea what you pH is like? They look like they were stunted. The autoflower won't do you too much I rate. The phenos could still recover over time. 

You using 600W MH at the moment yeah? 

Yes im using 600w MH on 18 hours cycle.

Well the PH measuring tool i have says its between 6 and 7. Maybe its faulty but still new though..... 

Temp ranges between from 20 to 27 degrees...

• Like 2

Personally I think 600W MH for those sized plants (and especially from seed for that matter) is way too much power. I can mainline two different plants fully throughout veg with just a single 250W MH, and even then I'm only going to use 400W HPS in flower for two plants, 16 colas total between them. 

I'd use 600W MH/HPS if I were growing a SCrOG per 1.2m², and even then if you can afford a 600W kit you'd then rather go 250W Quantum Board cause then you don't need as much cooling plus you get better spread. 

But these are recent lessons of mine and I'm doing one more round with the bulbs before converting myself over fully to Quantum Boards. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Ill_Evan said:

Personally I think 600W MH for those sized plants (and especially from seed for that matter) is way too much power. I can mainline two different plants fully throughout veg with just a single 250W MH, and even then I'm only going to use 400W HPS in flower for two plants, 16 colas total between them. 

I'd use 600W MH/HPS if I were growing a SCrOG per 1.2m², and even then if you can afford a 600W kit you'd then rather go 250W Quantum Board cause then you don't need as much cooling plus you get better spread. 

But these are recent lessons of mine and I'm doing one more round with the bulbs before converting myself over fully to Quantum Boards. 

Thanks for the info.

Theres other guys that said i must go lower than 1000w.... soo jaaa its a bit confusing thats i used ma the inbetween 600w MH lamp and then HPS for flowering....

Havent heard of quantum boards yet...will do a bit of google on those

• Like 2