Coco - organic or synthetic nutrients

Harder the water, the more minerals and parts it holds, TDS, total dissolved solids.

Using soft water, which has 0.0EC electrical current, you will need to add those minerals as such to get the water to where you want.

Guys prefer the clean reverse osmosis, as you get to be specific about what parts those are, and not the mysterious tap water we getting. 

Or you purchase Tsitsikama water, spring water with the best minerals.

Not pure water bottled, it's a scam and not for drinking and basically reverse osmosis water 

Edited by StickyD420
  • Thanks 1

But that wont feed the microbes and is food directly for the plants roots,
Biobizz is for the living type of soil or conditions.

This is correct . Constant use of salt based nutes will eventually stop the symbiotic relationship between the tree and the microbes in soil.
@Newbie_2020
Microbes break down things in the soil into nutrients for the tree, and the tree produces carbs and sugars for the microbes.

If you continually add salt based nutrients, the tree will no longer have a purpose for producing food for the microbes (since its getting fed directly with the added nutes) and the microbial life will eventually die off.

*my opinion*
The thing with FFF1 is that it has Bone meal, Worm Castings AND fermented probiotic bran... Which leads me to believe that there is in fact microbial life, and that they crafted the mix quite intuitively.

The microbes will continue to feed on what's in the mix until they starve, I feel its enough to veg for 2 or 3 weeks if you don't want to use nutes, but the tree will require much more nutes than what's left in the mix after that, which is why salt based nutrients is stated to be essential for FFF1.

They claim to have a boosted growth rate and I feel its due to the probiotic bran breaking down those base amendments and making the nutrients available, and then the added nutrients give it a good boost throughout the entire veg.
*end of my opinion*

LOL, fire away at me if anyone has any comments on that please.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

@TheUltimateNoob I agreed with you, but wanted to thank you for elaborating more on that.

Plus, if I may add to what you said, the bran in that mix, is fermented, and thus teaming with life already, I believe. 

Then fully correct in saying your Microbes will die off when they get hungry, but if you time this right, and feed them in time, they like anything when feel threatened, multiply and make a big come back, for interest sake.

Edited by StickyD420
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

All depends what water you are using...

Hard = tap water

Soft = reverse osmosis

Careful with this distinction. Tap water in CT is hard, tap water in Jozi/PTA is soft. My tap water comes out at about 40ppm TDS. I personally use soft water nutes from GHE and have gotten it nailed, adjusting for deficiencies/toxicity has gotten better over time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ill_Evan said:

Careful with this distinction. Tap water in CT is hard, tap water in Jozi/PTA is soft. My tap water comes out at about 40ppm TDS. I personally use soft water nutes from GHE and have gotten it nailed, adjusting for deficiencies/toxicity has gotten better over time. 

Thank you, I just noticed noob say that too...

I have not been to jhb in years and have even less contact before this forum with any growing in jhb, pleased again to be here and meet all you beautiful people🔥

• Like 2

Okay, quick question for everyone who would like to know too and for my clarification, as you guys seem to use tap water like myself. 

Do you guys air stone and air the water for a day or more, or do you air it for a day or more, or just as is?

With regards to the chlorine, or now possibly even chloramine, or is that not here is SA yet?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Newbie_2020 said:

@Ill_Evan When i purchased my nutrients from Futurama i think,  they asked my PPM reading and recommend hard. Im in Randburg.  

At the end of the day you won't have a problem. If you use hard water nutes in soft water you're only really at risk of calcium or magnesium deficiency, and it would be so minor and such a quick fix. You'd either just add more micro or do as @TheUltimateNoob says and gooi in some epsom salts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Okay, quick question for everyone who would like to know too and for my clarification, as you guys seem to use tap water like myself. 

Do you guys air stone and air the water for a day or more, or do you air it for a day or more, or just as is?

With regards to the chlorine, or now possibly even chloramine, or is that not here is SA yet?

I blast tap water from a hose into 25L containers and let sit with the screw tops open for a minimum 12 hours but preferably 24 hours. I try to create as much aeration and disturbance of the water in the containers as possible. I believe this method to be of the "good enough" variety. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Ill_Evan said:

I blast tap water from a hose into 25L containers and let sit with the screw tops open for a minimum 12 hours but preferably 24 hours. I try to create as much aeration and disturbance of the water in the containers as possible. I believe this method to be of the "good enough" variety. 

Jissy my man, same same💪

I did the RO thing and it was okay, but didnt notice big difference and if I air as you do, then I'm sorted.

Have 15x 5L Tsitsikama water bottles I fill, and line up, as I use, I refill and place at the back of the line. 

Edited by StickyD420
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

I have not been to jhb in years and have even less contact before this forum with any growing in jhb, pleased again to be here and meet all you beautiful people🔥

Bru when I first started meeting other growers on the scene in JHB (excluding the ones I've met here on the forum) they were all OG Cape Town ballies that moved up to Jozi. Haven't quite figured out why they decided to come this side, maybe the scene changed in CT over the years 🤷‍♀️

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Basically do the same as @Ill_Evan let it stand for some time before use. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TheUltimateNoob said:

I use soft water. My tap water comes out around 65ppm so it's not that bad.

I'm 200% with you brother,

So glad there are no purists, who might argue that those 65 parts, are parts you dont know🙈

Oh and while you are here, was chilling earlier dying of laughter, when it fell on me, KLS from our High-Jack thread last, must either have been thinking, hectic bae is blowing up my phone, or if bae was there, he must have questioned who's this now🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

So glad there are no purists, who might argue that those 65 parts, are parts you dont know🙈

Oh there are definitely purists around. RO has it's uses but not on the scale that we are growing. If you have 1000 plants in a facility that has dialed-in feeding schedules and they all pull from the same set of reservoirs, you'll probably use RO water to ensure consistent results and outcomes across multiple seasons. 

15 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Oh and while you are here, was chilling earlier dying of laughter, when it fell on me, KLS from our High-Jack thread last, must either have been thinking, hectic bae is blowing up my phone, or if bae was there, he must have questioned who's this now🤣 

Didn't even consider @KLS's phone would have been lighting up while we burning that midnight oil/dab/vape/kush 😅

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, TheUltimateNoob said:

The actual scale is something like;
0-20ppm = soft
20-60ppm = slightly hard
60-120ppm = moderately hard
120-180ppm = hard
180ppm and above =very hard

Thank you🙌

Yes I actually have it on my testing kit for my coffee machine and got more use to it being the way to explain it here in the windy city.

But glad to be reminded and get these things back in the front cortex 😉

• Like 1

I'm 200% with you brother,

So glad there are no purists, who might argue that those 65 parts, are parts you dont know

Awe at least, I thought I was the only one. No one said anything, I thought they were silently judging me

Oh and while you are here, was chilling earlier dying of laughter, when it fell on me, KLS from our High-Jack thread last, must either have been thinking, hectic bae is blowing up my phone, or if bae was there, he must have questioned who's this now 

Killer bro. We went off for a while there

• Haha 2