RAW and Greengo Humidity Stone

Hey peeps, so I was busy hunting high and low for the best deal on Boveda and other humidity control options as I am getting close to harvest and curing on my current grow. Along the way I stumbled upon a product called Greengo Clay Humidity Stone. I did some research and found some amazing information online and I also discovered a similar product that is marketed by RAW.

This looks like it could be a long term solution if they work well and could mean that one would never have to purchase another Boveda. Tell me what your thoughts and experiences are. Once mine have arrived I will test and let you guys know what happens. Just wanted to share the knowledge and hopefuly we improve on sustainable practices within our area of joy.

Best wishes to all.

Greengo.jpg

RAW HS.jpg

• Thanks 1

From what I can see, this would be great in a cigar box with a humidity meter so that you know how humid your stash is. I would also use it to reinvigorate bought weed that is way too dry. I wouldn't use these for curing, it doesn't seem precise enough for that. 

• Agree 2

I also would use them in conjunction with a hydrometer... But ay... I do that with bovidas too haha

I'm trying to find info about it absorbing moisture... But I can't find anything. 

Seems it wants to get gry again and it's value is more in a slow release of moisture. 

So ideally for daily stash usage... Or a quick fix for dry weed... 

Might even make your guys daily cigarettes taste better too if you kept a ciggie container 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

It is just terracotta pressed into a pretty shape... 

Im sure you could also DIY this with a few pieces of a broken terracotta pot 

Or I saw some powder you can mix to make your own terracotta humidity stones into custom shapes... That soinds cool too

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Totemic said:

A few leca pellets will do the same. Can add or remove marbles as necessary

@TotemicI was thinking about leca for this purpose... 

But I'm not sure it would have the same effect being much much more porous than terracotta. 

It also floats so getting it thoroughly wet might take some getting used to. And the shake off of excess water will need to be done very well as the large porous bubbles could hold water in one direction, but the water will drip out in another direction... 

Leca is also very soft... Fairly easy to crush a ball between your thumb and index. 

So even though it is made of a similar clay substance... I don't think it would accomplish the rehydrate they way you want it to

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 3 months later...

I did eventually get some Boveda packs post Lock-down thankfully and am curing with those. These humidity stones certainly aren't a tool for curing unless you cam spend ALOT of time checking RH. I placed a large quantity of water once and it totally made my herb wet again - yikes. It would be nice in a small smoker pack to reinvigorate old herb

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, skullpill said:

I did eventually get some Boveda packs post Lock-down thankfully and am curing with those. These humidity stones certainly aren't a tool for curing unless you cam spend ALOT of time checking RH. I placed a large quantity of water once and it totally made my herb wet again - yikes. It would be nice in a small smoker pack to reinvigorate old herb

Definitely agree. These stones are to keep tobacco moist. As a former rollie tobacco smoker, I surely would have benefitted from one of those stones; although I always managed to smoke my tobacco before it got too dry.

I wouldn't ever suggest one of these stones for curing. Rather stick with Boveda packs. Stay away from those jutt Integra kak humidty packs. Those red-dot humidity indicators are poisonous. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Boveda packs are awesome and surely the way to go as far as I am concerned.

I do not feel they are very expensive, considering how long they last. I have purchased a few boveda packs and some are over 2 years old and still good. Have not dried up yet. Gone through a few harvests.

There are ways to rehydrate them too I believe, I have yet to try this but worth a shot to see if you can squeeze some extra life out of your Boveda pack.

The Boveda's are a small price to pay to ensure a quality cure, why ruin your entire grow and all the time and effort spent by cheaping out and not getting a few boveda packs?

Both the 62% and 58% work really well. I prefer 58% for my vape, but 62% keeps the bud moist for longer obviously. So you can use a combination depending on your needs and what you plan on smoking first - personal preference too. I know some prefer 62% for smoking but for vaping I really do feel 58% works a bit better.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

Both the 62% and 58% work really well. I prefer 58% for my vape, but 62% keeps the bud moist for longer obviously. So you can use a combination depending on your needs and what you plan on smoking first - personal preference too. I know some prefer 62% for smoking but for vaping I really do feel 58% works a bit better.

I exclusively use the 58% for this reason. Being a predominantly dry herb vaper, 58% keeps the buds just perfect for grinding up and vaping. 62% was always too moist for me and sometimes made my grinder stick. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

just in general 62% is kak to work with unless you bong a head whole.

its just too moist to grind up nicely, it is too sticky to roll properly, the excess moisture means i need to clean my pipe twice a week and not just once.

but for long term storage and flavour retention , 62 is the way to go. and then my personal stash or day stash is at 58%, its just perfect to do all of the above. Amazing the difference 4% makes ey? 😛 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

This is interesting to read, thank you for sharing from all your experiences 🙂

I havent really thought much about what I am going to do once I get to Harvest and Curing.

So would you guys use 1 of these packs in a large zip-lock bag or a glass jar?

Then stash the bag or jar in a cupboard and then keep grabbing a bud or 2 from there whenever you keen to smoke?

Assuming this is after the initial curing stage and how you would be storing your buds for the weeks/months ahead?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BluntKnife said:

This is interesting to read, thank you for sharing from all your experiences 🙂

I havent really thought much about what I am going to do once I get to Harvest and Curing.

So would you guys use 1 of these packs in a large zip-lock bag or a glass jar?

Then stash the bag or jar in a cupboard and then keep grabbing a bud or 2 from there whenever you keen to smoke?

Assuming this is after the initial curing stage and how you would be storing your buds for the weeks/months ahead?

I just want to weigh in with some of my own experience. 

Boveda packs are the shit.

I have the 58 and the 62.

I use them in glass jars. 

Cured weed. I use 58 and for curing and storage i use the 62.

I put my dried harvest into jars on sunday with the 62 and into a dark draw.

(The weed was extremely dry) this morning i did a quick check. And the buds are so much more hydrated and feels alot better.

Also with the bovedas and the glass jars. Theres no need to burp or monitor. Just pot them in and leave them alone.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, afternoon blazer said:

Also with the bovedas and the glass jars. Theres no need to burp or monitor. Just pot them in and leave them alone.

Sort of with this one... 

If you harvest and dry and jar the weed and the RH goes up to 70+, your bovida might battle to absorb all the excess moisture. So burping is essential, even with bovidas for the first week of cure at least. 

Get some small RH meters that can fit in the jar to make sure the bovidas are holding the RH where it is supposed to be

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, afternoon blazer said:

I just want to weigh in with some of my own experience. 

Boveda packs are the shit.

I have the 58 and the 62.

I use them in glass jars. 

Cured weed. I use 58 and for curing and storage i use the 62.

I put my dried harvest into jars on sunday with the 62 and into a dark draw.

(The weed was extremely dry) this morning i did a quick check. And the buds are so much more hydrated and feels alot better.

Awesome, thank you for sharing 🙂

Stoked about the part of not needing to burp or monitor.  As I can eventually see myself having too much that I can handle, so not needing to continuously burp every bottle every couple days would be a pleasure 🙂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CreX said:

Sort of with this one... 

If you harvest and dry and jar the weed and the RH goes up to 70+, your bovida might battle to absorb all the excess moisture. So burping is essential, even with bovidas for the first week of cure at least. 

Get some small RH meters that can fit in the jar to make sure the bovidas are holding the RH where it is supposed to be

Would it be essential to have a RH meter in every jar or would one be enough to give you a good idea of what the general RH is in the jars?

Does different strains have different effects to this as well, either increasing or decreasing the overall RH?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BluntKnife said:

Would it be essential to have a RH meter in every jar or would one be enough to give you a good idea of what the general RH is in the jars?

Does different strains have different effects to this as well, either increasing or decreasing the overall RH?

If its the same strain. Harvested at the same time. With the same amount inside. Then 1 meter should be ok for all jars. If its different then maybe another meter. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, BluntKnife said:

it would be wise to have one or 2 for this purpose, if you have the cash, then yea why not... but i wouldn't call it essential to have one in every jar.

once the RH stabilizes at the preferred RH, no more burping is required and you can trust that the bovida will do the rest.

as for different strains, not really. i think i know what you are asking and i dont think so. RH is just the count of moisture, it has no effect on the flavour of the bud or the high.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, CreX said:

Sort of with this one... 

What up bro. So im assuming with large harvests then its probably esential to monitor RH. But with a small harvest it should be an issue?

• Like 2

Just now, CreX said:

it would be wise to have one or 2 for this purpose, if you have the cash, then yea why not... but i wouldn't call it essential to have one in every jar.

once the RH stabilizes at the preferred RH, no more burping is required and you can trust that the bovida will do the rest.

as for different strains, not really. i think i know what you are asking and i dont think so. RH is just the count of moisture, it has no effect on the flavour of the bud or the high.

I supose density of the buds comes into play here. 

• Like 2