No butane available during lockdown

420SA

So with our very interesting/suspicious tobacco ban currently in place, I can't find a single store stocking Newport butane. My local spar always stocks it but since this tobacco ban they aren't allowed to sell it. The ban is ridiculous enough but this is really not making any sense by any stretch of reason. Along with the ban on bloody rolling papers :-hairpull

Look NDZ, I know you and Mazotti are coining it large but us stoners need our butane and rolling papers, it won't affect your oversized pockets :sillyass

2 hours ago, CoolJ said:

Thats weird because I bought 2 cans about 3 weeks ago from my local spar. It was under the counter so I asked for it.

Is it usually under the counter? The spar I get from usually has them displayed in the kiosk where you get cigarettes etc. Plain to see. That's now empty

Perhaps the staff member I spoke to wasn't so sure. Will have to talk to the manager

7 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

I got Alva butane cans from Makro and found a few bottles of Newport at Checkers but not all checkers have stock.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

I thought it was maybe a local problem. Looks to be so.

Hope you not blasting with those alva cans?

On 6/23/2020 at 12:16 PM, PsyCLown said:

Why not? What is wrong with the Alva Butane cans?

Checkers have the Newport Butane on the shelves usually.

I can't prove it with any chemical analysis but I wouldn't trust their gas as being impurity free. Newport claims to be almost impurity free so even their butane isn't 100% impurity free but it's the best on our local market for the purpose.

If you're not using a vacuum chamber then you're putting yourself at even more risk. All those impurities have a decent chance of ending up in your lungs unfortunately. From face value Alva is a low end, relatively cheap butane available in SA, I wouldn't trust it personally.

Don't panic though, who knows it may be good enough, but for peace of mind I would just stick with Newport from now on. At least they claim its almost impurity free. The other butane suppliers in this country don't.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Sjoe - good news on the Newport - thank you

I am using SAFEGAS brand presently and this lot was made in Korea (hopefully the South.) Giving me excellent results in trails so far.

Got lots of stock from the Durban head office shop, and Thariq, their buyer, said he is prepared to ship any quantity via courier.