Greetings and salutations

Newbie_2020

Good Day All,

New to everything, starting to setup a small indoor grow tent. Bought some items over last couple months to have a basic setup. Tried to so some homework , watching YouTube video`s etc,,,,,,,, 

Here to get some guidance , build some knowledge and see if i can at least be successful with my first attempt. 

• Like 3

Thanks All,

So below is some info on my setup. I created a small propagation dome , with a small heat pad to assist with the germination process. 

I have tried to germinate one seed bought from Biltong and bugz using Rockwool but it failed to germinate. Seed was left in ph`d water over night, and placed in rock-wool using info i read on you tube. I initially thought the temperature or humidity was at fault , but closely inspecting the seed it was very soft and the contents of the seed was like a white past, so i think the rock wool was too wet. I did not add any water and i added so other none weed seeds into the dome which germinated perfectly, so the other thought could be that the seed was a dud. 

So as it stand Im attempting to do my second seed, this time using a Jiffy pellet and regulating the temperature and humidity more carefully. trying to keep the temperate between 21.5 and 23 and humidity between 50 -60%. Today is day 2, Im keeping a eye on it daily and had to water the pellet this morning as it was drying out a bit. Feeling more comfortable with this attempt so hope it works. I am using ph`d water of around 5.6 , hope its ok. 

Reflective Indoor Grow Tent - 60 x 60 x 140cm                                              From Seedleme.com

HZ-100 Silent Series inline Fan (100mm, 2 speed                                        From Seedleme.com
1/8″ ROPE RATCHET                                                                                            From Seedleme.com

CAN-Lite 150 PL Carbon Filter                                                                            hydroponic.co.za

Freedom Farms Formula 1 Growing Medium                                                   hydroponic.co.za

Jiffy Pellets                                                                                                             hydroponic.co.za

Freedom Pots                                                                                                        hydroponic.co.za

LED Full Spectrum LED Light (Import) Not sure of watts                              Unknown

General Hydroponics Flora Series Nutrient Kit                                                Futurama

Got Small fan , humidifier and heater if needed

PH UP, PH Down, Kelp

• Like 2

@Newbe_2020

Dont be bummed with germination. Always some dud seeds in the mix. Seeds are relatively cheap in comparison to the setup or even nutes. I personally germinate more seeds then I need and keep just the strongest. 

That formula 1 growing medium... If it's coco/perlite mix you will 100% need some sort of calcium additive. Calmag or Calcium Nitrate. The best option for you would be Greenhouse feeding company calcium and Epsom salts to avoid nitrogen issues. You also will need some GHE ph drops. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newbe_2020 said:

@1000Hills Nursery Thanks, for the info. Will definitely look into getting the Calcium ad Epson Salts. 

Is the Formula 1 Growing medium ideal to use? 

Ingredients: Coco Coir, Worm Castings, Perlite (30%), Volcanic Rock Dust, Bone meal, Gypsum, Fermented probiotic bran.

Okay ingredients points organic. Omit what I said. :rastabanana

• Like 2

Welcome , you will find loads of info and options here and you can't go wrong and nice that you did some research on your own also.
I have grown a few times with FF formula one and GHE, what I have done is to bump my tap water to 0,2-0,3 EC with Calsium Nitrate (think Epsom does the same but I have no experience with that), after the tap water bump I add the veg recommendations up to 0,5-0,8 EC in early veg and in full veg to 1 EC.
Keep us posted and add pics as you go along
Good vibes

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, GGG said:

Calsium Nitrate (think Epsom does the same but I have no experience with that)

CalMag is most often a premixed calcuim nitrate magnesium sulphate 

Are you referring to calmag? Or where do you get your calcium nitrate separate? 

• Like 1

Not sure where GGG , get his products, but found Calcium Magnesium Nitrate @ Hydroponics.co.za

https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponics/calcium-magnesium-nitrate/?attribute_pa_size=1kg

https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponics/hortimix-nutrient-b/

Hortimix Nutrient B (Calcium Nitrate) is a unique combination of nitrate nitrogen and fully water soluble calcium offers many benefits to growers. It’s immediately available for plant use, it improves crop quality, disease and stress tolerance.

Please note:  Nutrient B needs to be used in conjunction with Nutrient A to provide all the nutrients your plants require.

For Flowering plants, you will also require MKP (Bloom Booster) e.g Tomatoes, Peppers, Chillies, Flowers etc.

How much do you Need:

350g makes 5l of Concentrated Nutrient Solution. You will then mix (depending on the growth stage of your plant between 1ml to 16ml of Nutrient Solution per 1 litre of water). Please see Feeding schedule below.

Nutrient B Contains:

Nitrogen N 155g/kg

Calcium Ca 190g/kg

Nutrient Preparation and Usage : 

https://hydroponic.co.za/horti-mix-multi-part-nutrient-preparation-usage-table/

Edited by Newbe_2020
  • Like 1

It's part of hortimix range, bought the calmag by mistake when I finished first bag and it gave me issues, yellow leaves and slow growth and then only did I see it was the wrong one. Replaced with calsium nitrate and solved the problem b76ee13c9271eae0aeaf98bf6a40ab2a.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm using 25L buckets with rainwater I add halve a teaspoon or little less till my EC is about 0,2-0,3 and then I added my nutes and let it stand for 30min and then check PH, adjust if needed and check again after 30 min, il check ph again the next day before feeding plants.

• Like 1