Advice for a new grower

zolrooker

Regarding temperature swings/offests. How much of a temp swing can these ladies handle in a short space of time? For example, would it be able to tolerate swings up and down between 22 and 30 deg in a short space of time (Say 10 min), or does the temperature need to be more constant in short periods?

4 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

You are over thinking it now, you got this brother. 

Have faith, and we are here if you come across any issues, with what you have and our already guiding you, you are going to be just fine.

Haha ok, So im guessing that those swings are not too much of an issue then. Was just thinking of how to set my temperature controller, without having the heaters etc run too much.

Edited by zolrooker

3 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

Regarding temperature swings/offests. How much of a temp swing can these ladies handle in a short space of time? For example, would it be able to tolerate swings up and down between 22 and 30 deg in a short space of time (Say 10 min), or does the temperature need to be more constant in short periods?

To explain, 

You want the most stable as possible, extreme changes, more than 10 - 15deg down at night will bring on the colours, if in flowering. When in veg, you just slow down growth, unless you go below around 10deg you will get root damage.

High temps, up to 30deg are normally okay, and as mentioned before, if over 30deg, you want to up the light and co2, or it will start to burn the ends and journal on the leaf.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

To explain, 

You want the most stable as possible, extreme changes, more than 10 - 15deg down at night will bring on the colours, if in flowering. When in veg, you just slow down growth, unless you go below around 10deg you will get root damage.

High temps, up to 30deg are normally okay, and as mentioned before, if over 30deg, you want to up the light and co2, or it will start to burn the ends and journal on the leaf.

Ill just set my temp controller to 25-30deg then as that is more or less what im getting without heater during the day

• Like 1

As a side note, if you have issues with heat...
One thing you can do, and it stabilizes the temps more which is what you want ideally, a stable and less changing temps.
Change your grow around, if your lights come on at 6am and off at 6pm, for example, then you rather run the lights at night when its cooler, and off in the day when its hottest, so on at 6pm and off at 6am, flowering example.
I do this. Helps keeps temps stable and within a nice range. It works well in my setup.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, TheUltimateNoob said:

I do this. Helps keeps temps stable and within a nice range. It works well in my setup.

Sweet 👌 . Im probably going to run it at night and switch off between 9AM and 3PM, or between 10AM and 4PM

Edited by zolrooker
  • Like 1

I agree,

Try to have your light switch on at 5 or 6pm, as it starts to get cooler, your room or area will be okay till that time of day to switch off, just before the external temps effect that space.

My 2c

Currently I hit maximum temp at between 3.30pm and 5pm. Then gets cooler fast.

Edited by StickyD420
  • Like 2

I agree,
Try to have your light switch on at 5 or 6pm, as it starts to get cooler, your room or area will be okay till that time of day to switch off, just before the external temps effect that space.
My 2c
Currently I hit maximum temp at between 3.30pm and 5pm. Then gets cooler fast.

I agree
I've also noticed that afternoon temps are higher than midday honestly, so I've decided to go lights on at 6pm.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, zolrooker said:

Thinking of getting this

Can i then hook this up along with the heater to my temp controller and maintain a temperature between 24-29. If it hits 29, cooler will kick in, if it hits 21, heater will bring it back to 25.  

Will constant temperature swings like this be an issue?

This sounds lekker Zool

Send pics if u do go that route

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StickyD420 said:

To explain, 

Just out of interest. How would u increase co2?

4 minutes ago, afternoon blazer said:

Hey brother, 

Few ways, with a home brew, with those bags you purchase, with tnb natural (mixed results) or with a co2 canister and flow meter with a PPM monitor. 

Or something I'm working on with another company, soon as we get out of lockdown, so still coming and cant say yet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Hey brother, 

Few ways, with a home brew, with those bags you purchase, with tnb natural (mixed results) or with a co2 canister and flow meter with a PPM monitor. 

Or something I'm working on with another company, soon as we get out of lockdown, so still coming and cant say yet.

Sounds interesting bro. 

R u in the gas industry?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, afternoon blazer said:

Understanding you want to probably try more than 30deg, regarding the question of co2. 

If you go more than 30deg, and have the means of co2 and the lights for over 1200PAR, then you want to follow the VPD chart extremely religiously. 

Added:

So in short keeping the humidity closely related and you'll need to be careful of spikes.

Added 2:

Not the RH, being relative, but the absolute humidity.

Edited by StickyD420
Added and added 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

Thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated. 

My pleasure, also wanted to say, and I'm sure you have already, sealed all light leaks, as you going to go reverse day / night, you'll have the day time light to deal with that night time wouldn't be an issue ( more critical in flower, but I like to keep the habit).

That's the last thing I wanted to say.

Good luck brother 🤜🤛

Edited by StickyD420
  • Like 2

My pleasure, also wanted to say, and I'm sure you have already, sealed all light leaks, as you going to go reverse day / night, you'll have the day time light to deal with that night time wouldn't be an issue ( more critical in flower, but I like to keep the habit).
That's the last thing I wanted to say.
Good luck brother
Agreed

• Thanks 1

Okay...
I'm calling it, and think @CreX will agree, 
Post is way long, and needs to be cut here.
@zolrooker and I have broken this thread, please if you need further help, would you start a new topic.
 Lieutenant @Ill_Evan or Constable @CreX please would you do the honors and close it officially. 
Lol, any way to make the whole thread into pdf and post a link?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

One final question lol. How do you protect your eyes when working in the grow area? I feel like I'll go blind looking at that everyday 🤣

Lol, yeah man these grow lights are bright AF... I use regular sunglasses (black tint) but I also have these glasses that have this greenish-blue tint on them (they do a better job).

Those are just what I use.

There are glasses with lenses made specifically to basically even out the spectrum and light intensity on your eyes which cost a bit and are available from grow shops. 

These are more effective and are made so that you can see the actual colours of the tree and such no matter the colour of the grow light it's viewed under (provided you buy the right one). 

Edited by TheUltimateNoob
  • Like 3