Advice for a new grower

zolrooker

23 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

The other light will hamper them, and you dont want that actually as it can cause herm or unnecessary stress.

Cant you hang something between the tank and area?

Maybe send a picture of the light off so I get an idea of what the residual would be?

I'd rather not complicate things then. Since this is just temporary.. I can switch off all lights and make sure there's complete darkness, until the plants are ready to move to the grow cabinet 

6 minutes ago, Totemic said:

Absolute darkness or light leaks are not issues at all while you are still vegging. 

100 percent correct for seedlings and veg, I just wasn't sure what light the tank was giving out, right next to his seedlings, otherwise he could have just let the light on 24 hours if it was that bright.

I also tend to keep dark hours dark, and when helping others try not to talk different things and stick to the best process.

• Like 2

Does this look healthy? Looks a little brown for my liking.. Unless I'm imagining things. Could it be that I'm watering too much? (I am currently watering once a day. Enough water until it just drains out from the bottom) Also, the humidity levels go through the roof after lights out in that area.. (Around 60% during the day, but its hitting 99% after lights out)

IMG_20200708_071952.thumb.jpg.b1486917e0980f28e1eaf3138d621a78.jpgIMG_20200708_071949.thumb.jpg.4837d0cac6e47788686fc6bdf5958fcb.jpgIMG_20200708_071941.thumb.jpg.7f80b35543525c9b8280d8da6a03f9f5.jpgIMG_20200708_071929.thumb.jpg.d947360035f7ebfdedd8e117fd1e063c.jpg

Edited by zolrooker

Just now, StickyD420 said:

Whooo, way way way to much water...

Slow it down, every 3 or more days, and if need be water a small bit near the base of the jiffy only, as on the stem will wick it off and pulls air out from the top watering. 

Damn, i should have asked before.😱 Will check every second or 3rd day then and water just a little bit. Hopefully i didnt mess something up

12 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

It's a weed, needs and wants to look for water, not be soaked and bathing in it.

You'll be okay, just dry it out fast and slow it down.

I think my previous germination worked well in a paper towel, because it dried out quick, even though i watered twice a day. So i didnt think that id only have to water these jiffys every few days.. not considering that they will hold the water for longer than 2 days. It was feeling too moist to me though thats why i asked lol. Hopefully they will recover, like you say 👍

Edited by zolrooker

Brother, I was so busy focusing on the wet medium, and the first picture couldnt see the seedling correctly at its angle. 

Please watch the seedling and see if that skin / condom comes off, it sometimes will need help or you can wet it and it will help soften it. Not wetting the coco though.

I honestly use a toothpick or tweezers to pull it up and release the leaves or what ever those first arms are called technically.

Edited by StickyD420
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Brother, I was so busy focusing on the wet medium, and the first picture couldnt see the seedling correctly at its angle. 

Please watch the seedling and see if that skin / condom comes off, it sometimes will need help or you can wet it and it will help soften it. Not wetting the coco though.

I honestly use a toothpick or tweezers to pull it up and release the leaves or what ever those first arms are called technically.

Will do 👍 This morning it had the whole shell/husk on it and I gently eased it off. 

• Like 1

Looks good,

You dont have to wait, it's up to you and thought you had a reason to start there first.

Put it in the area you going to properly veg and grow in, then just bring lights closer and up pot as she grows bigger.

Your light should be okay till around week 4 or 5, then go bigger from there. Also up to you and what coverage you getting at the required height 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Looks good,

You dont have to wait, it's up to you and thought you had a reason to start there first.

Put it in the area you going to properly veg and grow in, then just bring lights closer and up pot as she grows bigger.

Your light should be okay till around week 4 or 5, then go bigger from there. Also up to you and what coverage you getting at the required height 

Alright, cool. I'm hoping that the grow cabinet will be completely ready by the weekend. I could have it ready enough by tomorrow though.. I already have a nice 150w from @Master_G hanging in the cabinet (will take pics soon) .

Edited by zolrooker
  • Like 1

Just now, zolrooker said:

Alright, cool. I'm hoping that the grow cabinet will be completely ready by the weekend. I could have it ready enough by tomorrow though.. I already have a nice 150w from @Master_G hanging in the cabinet (will take pics soon) .

And when can I plant in fabric pots with my final growing medium? 

So happy you got a good light and part of the family too...

Well, what size fabric pot you going next?

You can go straight to a 3 gallon fabric from jiffy, just got to be super careful with your watering, and water only enough at once. Then up to a 10 gallon fabric later in say 1.5 months time. 

It's good to up pot to create a good healthy root ball, otherwise your roots will always go to their furthest point and then make home, usually at the bottom of the big pot, if watering till the bottom, and you'll get issues and not much roots.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StickyD420 said:

So happy you got a good light and part of the family too...

Well, what size fabric pot you going next?

You can go straight to a 3 gallon fabric from jiffy, just got to be super careful with your watering, and water only enough at once. Then up to a 10 gallon fabric later in say 1.5 months time. 

It's good to up pot to create a good healthy root ball, otherwise your roots will always go to their furthest point and then make home, usually at the bottom of the big pot, if watering till the bottom, and you'll get issues and not much roots.

I'm going to use 3 x 10l pots and don't have the space to use any bigger tbh.. Maybe I'll plant in the pots this weekend.. Let's see how it goes 

Sorry for the bad pics. I sealed the left door from the inside, so can't get a good angle. Does this space look OK for now? I can just put the seedlings on a bucket for now, closer to the light and then move things around later if I have to. Only problem is that I'm getting around 40% humidity in the cabinet atmIMG_20200709_070957.thumb.jpg.32bf3f78c09c245b0913828e2723efbf.jpgIMG_20200709_071014.thumb.jpg.8237dda7e7e22d1149bec89e521ebbd0.jpg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Its perfect brother, the setup is good to go...

I wouldn't worry about the humidity at this time unless you purchase a humidifier or something, but not needed right now.

Let's see that light😍

Thanks brother! Ill take some pics tonight. Can I add the 75w led to the mix as well as a supplemental light ? I guess the more the better? My main light is 3500k and supplemental has mostly Reds (which I believe will be beneficial in the flowering stage apparently) . See pic below. Ignore where it says 216w lol-2126330373-1836593570.thumb.jpg.b1e6de8d1ae1ec59b657531f935fbaf1.jpg

Edited by zolrooker

Cool, thank you.

With regards to the extra supplemental light, it's not really necessary to have it now, or probably even the light of Master G right now at full power. Like Evan said the other day and you can find online, your seedlings really only need a little bit of light 200 to 400 PAR and anything more would be a waste of electricity and potentially burn the seedlings.

I'd say use the UFO style light with more red now till they need more light, and then run the new light, probably on a dimmer and working up to full blast in flower and then adding the UFO for supplemental lighting.

I bring my lights on in stages in the morning and off in the evening to replicate the sun rise and set, the UFO is perfect for that spectrum too. But this is stuff you play around with after you can grow start to finish a decent plant.

Seen as the sun is probably one of the best light sources you get, and still seen people grow air rated weed in the full sun, and therefore those people buying the best light for indoor, but they have a few basic elements missing so it isn't worth the investment yet.

In other words, before playing or investing too much, get a few runs under your belt and go from there.

Edited by StickyD420
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Cool, thank you.

With regards to the extra supplemental light, it's not really necessary to have it now, or probably even the light of Master G right now at full power. Like Evan said the other day and you can find online, your seedlings really only need a little bit of light 200 to 400 PAR and anything more would be a waste of electricity and potentially burn the seedlings.

I'd say use the UFO style light with more red now till they need more light, and then run the new light, probably on a dimmer and working up to full blast in flower and then adding the UFO for supplemental lighting.

I bring my lights on in stages in the morning and off in the evening to replicate the sun rise and set, the UFO is perfect for that spectrum too. But this is stuff you play around with after you can grow start to finish a decent plant.

Seen as the sun is probably one of the best light sources you get, and still seen people grow air rated weed in the full sun, and therefore those people buying the best light for indoor, but they have a few basic elements missing so it isn't worth the investment yet.

In other words, before playing or investing too much, get a few runs under your belt and go from there.

OK cool. The light from master g can be dimmed as well, so I guess I'll just use that as it's already installed in the cabinet.. And then maybe add the supplemental light afterwards. I can still use it to grow macro algae  for now in my fish tank refugium lol. Thanks again for all your help and time brother. I really appreciate it. And that goes to everyone who has assisted /n given advice. 🙏🙌

• Like 3