Advice for a new grower

zolrooker

Go get some sealing foam from builders. You can get it an various thickness and width. I used it on my grow cupboard and works perfect.
897966057_Screenshot_20200705-112324_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.7e6d0c7e0d5f919b63c9dfd7189c54f0.jpg
Also known as ''weather stripping''.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StickyD420 said:

Sorry brother, 

Been thinking, and from your pictures, you have a reflective sheet, plus the space blanket.

Maybe you have spare space blanket to hang inside the cupboard at the doors, like I mentioned the vinyl, and also seal the doors with the foam rubber strips.

Then you get the added bonus of reflective surface all over, and also from these pictures, looks like you dont have much meat / surface that overlaps on the door to frame / case for that tape, but just an observation. 

IMG_20200628_182218.thumb.jpg.75bd4f47da92ba693cfe4348846bf28f.jpg

Yes bro I have  some spare space blanket. I think I'll use a combination of the foam and space blanket 

• Like 2

What could also work lekker to seal the light leaks is the seal you get on a fridge door. Not sure where I can find some though 

I already tried foam pad taped down with aluminum foil but the problem with my door, is that the door has a slight curve so the gap at the bottom vs then top is not equal. 

I'll buy  some weather stripping tomorrow anyway n give it a go 

Edited by zolrooker

45 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

What could also work lekker to seal the light leaks is the seal you get on a fridge door. Not sure where I can find some though 

I already tried foam pad taped down with aluminum foil but the problem with my door, is that the door has a slight curve so the gap at the bottom vs then top is not equal. 

This is what I thought with the cupboard you used, as I have had similar before.

I wouldn't recommend the fridge rubber, it has magnets in and then you'd need metal on the frame  for it to work, more of a mission. 

My original idea of the sheet of space blanket inside, should seal the light from coming out, just not air tight.

Do you even have enough overlapping area for the weather strip to work, and then will it seal the gap difference? 

5 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

This is what I thought with the cupboard you used, as I have had similar before.

I wouldn't recommend the fridge rubber, it has magnets in and then you'd need metal on the frame  for it to work, more of a mission. 

My original idea of the sheet of space blanket inside, should seal the light from coming out, just not air tight.

Do you even have enough overlapping area for the weather strip to work, and then will it seal the gap difference? 

I can try the weather strip. 

Also, the frame of my cabinet is steel. 

I'd prefer not to hang the space blanket loose as it's quite noisy when the fan blows on it lol 

Edited by zolrooker
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Ah okay it looked like a wooden one I had at a stage.

Yes then go weather strip, and or the magnetic route, which ever is easier to get hold of and does what you need.

Not sure where to get the magnetic seals so will try out the weather strips first 

• Agree 1

Scrap yards, not the car type, but old fridge repair or service centers, have old or broken possibly?

You could also go for a strip of sun visor, cut to size and hanging (hey @Ill_Evan?) I too want to see one cut up🤣

That foam rubber is good stuff, it lasts and seals, and cheap enough. Make latches or catching points on the corners or the cupboard doors to pull them toward the frame if you want even better seal.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, zolrooker said:

You can double up on the foam for areas where the door curves. So stick down one strip of foam, close door and check for light leaks. Wherever you spot a leak just put some more foam.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bakstein420 said:

You can double up on the foam for areas where the door curves. So stick down one strip of foam, close door and check for light leaks. Wherever you spot a leak just put some more foam.

Cool, i got some weather strip this morning as well, both 3mm and 5mm. Will play around with it and see what i can do

• Like 2

I used single sided foam tape to stuck along the edge of the box to seal up the door of my grow box without light leaks getting through and used 2 toggle clamps to pull the door shut.

Sorry it I'm off topic, but from what I skimmed through, I think it might help. 168b212a9b3e27b5e864410afa9a4564.jpg

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Just now, TheUltimateNoob said:

I used single sided foam tape to stuck along the edge of the box to seal up the door of my grow box without light leaks getting through and used 2 toggle clamps to pull the door shut.

Sorry it I'm off topic, but from what I skimmed through, I think it might help. 168b212a9b3e27b5e864410afa9a4564.jpg

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

There you go, that was my last recommendation and those latches are perfect for his needs. 

Thank you @TheUltimateNoob

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Yes sir, or it will stretch😉

How much light is enough? I can put a 20w LED or a 75W, or even a 54w fluorescent..

Or should i move to final destination asap? under the 150w LED?

Edited by zolrooker

Just now, zolrooker said:

How much light is enough? I can put a 20w LED or a 75W, or even a 54w fluorescent

Each of those will need a different height, so up to you, as you can use the lowest watts at a closer distance, or the bigger further away, all depending on the area you need to cover or height restrictions or power budgets you may have.

You need to test it or give more details of the lights and so 

2 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Each of those will need a different height, so up to you, as you can use the lowest watts at a closer distance, or the bigger further away, all depending on the area you need to cover or height restrictions or power budgets you may have.

You need to test it or give more details of the lights and so 

Ok thx, ill put a small light closeby tonight and take a pic. there is also a residual light thats already hitting it indirectly through glass and algae (From about 800W T5 fluorescent)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

You can, but 18/6 they say is best, 

Was it an Auto, they can be 24hours on.

Your root develop at night/dark. Unless auto

Thx brother. They're fems. I'll put on 18 / 6 then 👌

Coming to think of it.. not sure if the residual light in that area will render that timing useless though haha 

Edited by zolrooker