Advice for a new grower

zolrooker

3 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

Going to start germinating tonight. Jiffy pellet method. Thinking of germinating behind my fish tank which has around a 70% humidity level, while i finish up my grow cabinet.

Should i cover the pellets after i add the seeds?

Should i watch temperature in that area?

Any other advice you can give me ?

I germinated some seeds in that area a month or 2 back  with a 100% success rate (paper towel method), before temperatures were as low as they are now.

Where you going to do it is perfect, 

Use the jiffy, soak them first, place seed 3x its width down, place a dome over if you like, your humidity seems good to go without it. 

Have them in a tray with groves, water from bottom by adding water to the tray, keeps air in jiffy properly. 

Temp 24 is best, dont go lower than 18 if possible 

You'll be 100% good.

Edited by StickyD420
Temp details
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, StickyD420 said:

Where you going to do it is perfect, 

Use the jiffy, soak them first, place seed 3x its width down, place a dome over if you like, your humidity seems good to go without it. 

Have them in a tray with groves, water from bottom by adding water to the tray, keeps air in jiffy properly. 

Temp 24 is best, dont go lower than 18 if possible 

You'll be 100% good.

Thanks, temperatures do drop below 18 there so ill just put a small heater .

Also, will light affect the seedling? because that area has some light 24/7

10 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

Thanks, temperatures do drop below 18 there so ill just put a small heater .

Also, will light affect the seedling? because that area has some light 24/7

Light, it needs light or as it comes out it will stretch.

24hours is okay actually, just make sure you have enough or the stretching will happen 👌

Heating Mat, not that expensive and works well. If using the heater, no direct heat or blowing of that hot air.

Edited by StickyD420
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

First time to see something like this for general use, what's the deal and where and what costs please boss?

It's a stc 1000 temperature controller. You can pick them up for about R300. 

See here

But.. The other day I saw something better, for 500. Can control humidity as well... I guess I'll have to upgrade eventually haha

This is what I should have bought

But having said  that, I have used an stc 1000 for a few years now  and it works like a boss for temperature. 

• Like 2

I see these days your dehumidifier or aircon, has built in selection preferences, so didnt really understand how that would work and seen them before, or maybe I dont grasp it properly, or more for those systems without the presets has always boggled me.

It just switches on and off the appliance, I dont know if that is good for them

Edited by StickyD420
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

And something like this with the humidity controller will be perfect for my cabinet.. 

Dehumidifier

You typically have your dehumidifier in the room where you pulling air from, this way your air going into the tent / room get the perfect RH. and dont need to clog your grow space up with it.

Edited by StickyD420
  • Like 2

On Tuesday, June 30, 2020 at 10:06 PM, zolrooker said:

Wired up temperature controller and planted the seeds. Sitting at around 60% humidity and 24 degrees. Will take some  more pics in a few days.. Or as soon as they break the surface IMG_20200630_220224.thumb.jpg.774f3cb4d96e7c7849eaf537645f2701.jpg

Hello Zol, I use the same thermosat my friend. nice work with the wiring. I like the enclosure and the plugs. Do you plug the heater into one and your extractor into the other one?

I added a relay switch into the mix so that when the heater is off, my extractor sucks at full speed and when the heater is in; the fan kicks down to low speed.

I have a panel heater and an HIT 150 fan. The humidity never climbs over 60% and my temp never dips below 21C. 

What else have you got up your sleeve?

Edited by oros da boss
tidy up
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, oros da boss said:

Hello Zol, I use the same thermosat my friend. nice work with the wiring. I like the enclosure and the plugs. Do you plug the2 heater into  one and your exctractor into the other one?

I added a relay switch into the mix so that when the heater is off, my extractor sucks at full speed and when the heater is in; the fan kiccks down to low speed.

I have a panel heater and an HIT 150 fan. The humidity never climbs over 60% and my temp never dips below 21C. 

What else jave you got up your sleeve?

Thanks man. For the moment I've just wired it for heating or cooling. Great system you got going there. I'll guess I'll just see what levels I'm getting and adjust from there.. Still a newbie here with alot to learn lol, so not sure how much I'd have to adjust etc as I go along.. Just planning on keeping it simple as possible to start and go from there 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Joh, I see now he built that, which is why I hadn't seen it before with the ready wired plugs on ends and boxed.

It looked that professional, big ups brother. 

Haha thanks man. Just used a old external hdd case. The other one I'm using with my fish tnak looks much worse lol 

• Like 1

@StickyD420    hey sticky. Howsit?it is a pro job. It looks sick. This thermostat and relay was the best investment i made in my set up. It takes a bit of tinkering to dial in the parameters, but once get it right you have one less thing to stress over. For R300 it solved a lot of my issues with cold temps and higher humidity when the light goes out.

@zolrooker  does that mean your fan turns off when the heater kicks in? My problem is that the fan needs to keep sucking through the carbon filter, or else it stinks out the place out.

If I can make one suggestion it would be to hang the temperature  probe  down low at pot level.

Keep tinkering for a few days and it will fall into place. Good luck with the growing adventure. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, StickyD420 said:

Awe @oros da boss lekker brother. 

Definitely a pro job, had me thinking that off the bat.

You ask a good question, and I think he is running a relay to switch the fan from regular speed to fast when on, then slow in off position or signal. A guess though and he will need to inform us both😊

Not even too sure if I can even adjust my fan speeds yet tbh, as I'm just using some normal extractor fans and not the proper inline fans 

5 hours ago, oros da boss said:

@StickyD420    hey sticky. Howsit?it is a pro job. It looks sick. This thermostat and relay was the best investment i made in my set up. It takes a bit of tinkering to dial in the parameters, but once get it right you have one less thing to stress over. For R300 it solved a lot of my issues with cold temps and higher humidity when the light goes out.

@zolrooker  does that mean your fan turns off when the heater kicks in? My problem is that the fan needs to keep sucking through the carbon filter, or else it stinks out the place out.

If I can make one suggestion it would be to hang the temperature  probe  down low at pot level.

Keep tinkering for a few days and it will fall into place. Good luck with the growing adventure. 

Thanks, will keep playing around with it and see what works.. Just using some cheap extractor fans atm.. Haven't even hooked them up yet 

• Like 1