Advice for a new grower

zolrooker

2 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Builders have this for 200

Mounted at the top, plugged in, will go on when power goes out, lasts 15 hours and can add solar to it.

Dont have it on your timer system, or it will come on at lights out, and bad.

20200624_165336.jpg

Thanks!

Question regarding ventilation.. I have read that the air needs to be completely exchanged at least every few minutes.

Ive got a grow area that is 0.8m3
Extractor fans that run at 90m3/h

So theoretically, if i keep the fans running 24/7 , it will do over 1 and a half change per minute, if im not mistaken..
Can i put my extractor fans on a timer, to only run every other minute? i.e. run for a minute, then rest for a minute and repeat.. This would mean approximately 3 air changes every 4 minutes..

Better yet, if I run extraction fans for 1 minute and then pause both inflow and outflow for 2 minutes (whilst still running oscillating fan obviously) that would still be 3 air changes every 6 minutes. 

Would it be OK to let it stand like that for 2 minutes with the same air circulating? Or would it result in any detrimental effects? 

1 minute ago, zolrooker said:

Better yet, if I run extraction fans for 1 minute and then pause both inflow and outflow for 2 minutes (whilst still running oscillating fan obviously) that would still be 3 air changes every 6 minutes. 

Would it be OK to let it stand like that for 2 minutes with the same air circulating? Or would it result in any detrimental effects? 

I'd never let air sit, rather keep the flow going in my opinion. 

If your room has passive air vents, or you could make them, then run one extraction fan only, and let the room suck in air, then you wouldn't need them both going. Also my opinion and what I'm currently doing myself. 

You'll easy tell if your temps get to high or you cant get the humidity right, then you can add the second fan, pulling or pushing air, if needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StickyD420 said:

I'd never let air sit, rather keep the flow going in my opinion. 

If your room has passive air vents, or you could make them, then run one extraction fan only, and let the room suck in air, then you wouldn't need them both going. Also my opinion and what I'm currently doing myself. 

You'll easy tell if your temps get to high or you cant get the humidity right, then you can add the second fan, pulling or pushing air, if needed.

👍 Yea I think I'll just monitor Temps and humidity and adjust as needed 

12 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Tight, but it works.

Can the fan oscillate fully, otherwise you could always put the fan outside and leave the door open, till you need to go stealth and then close it inside. 

Maybe a smaller fan x2, your space got smaller too.

Fan doesn't oscillate fully, but it's blowing across cross the entire area... I can see the space blanket moving all over 

21 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

Fan doesn't oscillate fully, but it's blowing across cross the entire area... I can see the space blanket moving all over 

Sweet, you can kind of see the angle is okay and distance isn't far, and if you angle it up, I think it's good to go. You can also lift the fabric pots off the floor and then get more upwards flow through the plants.

You have passive air ports at the bottom, or are those the slots you made, or you pumping air in with the other inlet fan?

Edited by StickyD420
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2020 at 2:22 PM, Prom said:

But the inside circulation is same if not more important. If you do not disperse the fresh air a simple flow will occur from entrance to exit and your plants will not get the needed CO2 to grow. 

This information by @Prom is good stuff,

You want that fan oscillating, or another smaller fan somewhere in the oscillating and kicking air out of regular patterns.

You will get WPM is your flow isn't good or changing directions and refreshed constantly (last part if you not doing co2 and closed room,  and controlling the humidity precisely).

Your one fan, not oscillating, is risking it in my opinion.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Sweet, you can kind of see the angle is okay and distance isn't far, and if you angle it up, I think it's good to go. You can also lift the fabric pots off the floor and then get more upwards flow through the plants.

You have passive air ports at the bottom, or are those the slots you made, or you pumping air in with the other inlet fan?

Going to pump in air with an inlet fan 

12 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

Going to pump in air with an inlet fan 

Cool, try to also change the direction of the air inside the room, otherwise it will make a vortex and not refresh all the air in that space correctly. 

Check my kak diagram, blue is air flow, red is stale air pockets. 

20200628_194312.jpg

Edited by StickyD420
Added picture
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, StickyD420 said:

Cool, try to also change the direction of the air inside the room, otherwise it will make a vortex and not refresh all the air in that space correctly. 

Check my kak diagram, blue is air flow, red is stale air pockets. 

20200628_194312.jpg

Is this better? 

Fan can oscillate now 

IMG_20200629_071805.jpg

2 minutes ago, Totemic said:

You are going to want all that electricity on the floor lifted. I keep all my electricity connections outside my space.

Evan just hanging the lead along the wall or roof will be fine.

Yep, ill mount it on the side somewhere

21 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Much better, you just dont want any stagnant air pockets or you'll get mildew 

Cool, probably gonna replace the fan though anyway too, with something slimmer ..  so i can get more space. Might mount this one higher up, or get like 2-3 slim box fans and mount those

Edited by zolrooker
added text

20 minutes ago, Totemic said:

You are going to want all that electricity on the floor lifted. I keep all my electricity connections outside my space.

Evan just hanging the lead along the wall or roof will be fine.

Definitely, all electric good off the floor, even outside the grow room is better for humidity. 

18 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

Cool, probably gonna replace the fan though anyway too, with something slimmer ..  so i can get more space. Might mount this one higher up, or get like 2-3 slim box fans and mount those

Perfect, that is why GGG said you are going to change things, as we always upgrading or expanding or improving systems. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Definitely, all electric good off the floor, even outside the grow room is better for humidity. 

Perfect, that is why GGG said you are going to change things, as we always upgrading or expanding or improving systems. 

I hope i wouldnt need to upgrade too much lol..

Leaving the fans etc outside is a no no for me..

31 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Once you get bitten, you'll want to go bigger and improve as you learn or your process changes.

You are fine with air in, air around, and air out. So no external fans needed. 

I can see you doing a few grows as such, then expanding later😋

Haha lets see what happens.

• Like 2

Going to start germinating tonight. Jiffy pellet method. Thinking of germinating behind my fish tank which has a high humidity level (will check min and max readings tonight), while i finish up my grow cabinet.

Should i cover the pellets after i add the seeds?

Should i watch temperature in that area?

Any other advice you can give me ?

I germinated some seeds in that area a month or 2 back  with a 100% success rate (paper towel method), before temperatures were as low as they are now.

Edited by zolrooker