2part question - for the LED guys.

Naughty.Psychonaut

What's up all, any LED gurus enthusiastic about sharing some of that juicy info?

To best understand my needs I will try make things as clear as possible as I am not just "looking for a light".

I am trying a DIY, this will be my first so I had a look at the DIY section, thought I might go with something similar to what Mr. @greenkush created. :-respect

Regarding all that, heres my first question, keeping the best diodes for flower cycle in mind, what strips do I get?? I've been about on digikey, but can't figure out what to go with?

Second question, for a flower space of 1mx1m how much LED can I throw in there? I am thinking of covering the area by making a 80cm square frame out of aluminium and will need to know how many strips to mount to get my desired wattage, but I guess first I need to know what strips I'm gona go with!

Hope you all having a blessed Friday!

I saw zero 660nm strips.. you want to solder those in single by hand? Why not just go with a QB? 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000215044691.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.1cbe4a61k4VNhD&algo_pvid=2f98c580-9f78-4002-b46d-16aba4d30326&algo_expid=2f98c580-9f78-4002-b46d-16aba4d30326-8&btsid=0ab6f82415913491382852517e1d2f&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

The 301B 3000k 660nm board is 43.20$, no soldering.. ok, you have to connect a plug to the driver.. but then you also get a 1 year warranty with the product and you just connect a heat sink plate and the hangers.. and you have a lamp ^^  You want more light.. order same again ^^  for 1x1 might be a lot, one QB should run 0.8x0.8. Can tell you more, when I get my QBs on Monday.. I will prepare all right away and let them compete with my TS3000's.. if the QBs should win.. I will replace my TS's right away.. 40% less energy draw is a word I respect. But first I want to see the result for myself.. I am rather skeptical that the new boards are that much better.

• Like 1

Like I have mentioned... It will be an unfair battle in the favour of your TS3000 if you don't compare watt for watt... The TS is 450w, and the qbs are 120w each... And I think you only got 2, so I expect your TS to smash 2 Qb288s out the water, even though your TS uses older LED's

@Naughty.Psychonaut, you should be looking for diodes that are in 3000k as a good average for veg and flower.

5500 if you want a separate veg light

And still 3000k for flower, so yea just stick with the 3000k spectrum

And in a 1x1 area you will need about 300w of LED power for that space if you want to stick to ~30w per square foot 

So with those to aims Its a bit easier to choose the right strips

As for the type of diode, the LM561C are nice, the LMB301b and LMB301h are also saught after... Epistar are also popular but are an older tech... Works well, but older and not as efficient as the Samsung stuff

Hope this helps!! 

I know reputed member @PsyCLownhas a ton of strip knowledge

• Like 1

nope, will get 4 QBs inbound Monday.. the 5 drivers already made it yesterday ^^ already paid customs fees for the QBs hehehe and the parcel just left Kuwait. UPS is on fire at the moment 😂 

drivers.thumb.jpg.f26149a4ed4b9533a183db864a61f2e4.jpg

shipping was free.. took a spare ^^ want to run the dimmer over the arduino system.. so the 0-10v version driver fits sweet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Prom said:

nope, will get 4 QBs inbound Monday.. the 5 drivers already made it yesterday ^^ already paid customs fees for the QBs hehehe and the parcel just left Kuwait. UPS is on fire at the moment 😂 

shipping was free.. took a spare ^^ want to run the dimmer over the arduino system.. so the 0-10v version driver fits sweet.

Looks good man, do you mind sharing cost in Rand? Or atleast customs fees. I've been wanting to import but worried about customs.

I do a final LED count (i made a hand count on the TS3 and my number diverts to their website,) when the boards are here and measure some PAR to see what is fair.. ^^ but only 3 QBs max make sense to run against the TS3. otherwise.. I can stick with my TS3s anyhow 😂 they would have less diodes and less watt usage. Going down with the energy consumption is more my goal.. yield on the TS3s is great.

4 minutes ago, CoolJ said:

Looks good man, do you mind sharing cost in Rand? Or atleast customs fees. I've been wanting to import but worried about customs.

Zero problemo, copy paste for those 5 HLG 240h-48B :

Your DHL Express shipment with waybill number XXX from DIGI-KEY ELECTRONICS is arriving in the country and will require customs clearance. There is import duty/tax due on your shipment. The amount is ZAR 1,177.65.

@Prom

I have looked at those, the only reason I would wana go the DIY route instead of buying a fixed board would be because I can build a frame to my liking and mount the LEDs all the way in the corner of the grow space, where as with a qb you have to raise the light to get better coverage and by raising the light you decrease intensity, or am I mistaken?

Another reason would be because of the whole 1 qb just a tad to small for a 1m square and 2 qb would be to much, like you've mentioned. So I would rather build something to my specific needs and the whole project will give some DIY perspective and I seriously need to gain some knowledge on LEDs.

@CreX

Definitly did help! Thanks man!! I am leaning towards the samsung LM301H diodes for now, but how do I check on digikey which of the strips use those diodes? If I got the strips I'm going with then I can work out how many I need to make 300w and from there I'll be able to calculate how much alu I'll need. 

• Like 1

@Naughty.Psychonaut I like flexible lights too.. that is why I turn each QB into a lamp of its own. I like to hang and distance depending on canape shape

There is no real reason to go for the H.. the B have same diodes, just less good environment protection.. the B's will do and are cheaper..

Edited by Prom
add on
  • Like 1

nope, will get 4 QBs inbound Monday.. the 5 drivers already made it yesterday ^^ already paid customs fees for the QBs hehehe and the parcel just left Kuwait. UPS is on fire at the moment  

Where did you order these from bro?.. The boards also

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, TheUltimateNoob said:

Sweet. So Aliexpress delivered on time?
Also did you mail digikey for free shipping or they just did you a solid?

The QBs are with UPS (63$).. and more than double as fast as quoted.. I thought they will need 12 days at least.. 5 days ^^ DHL with the drivers was also 5 days, so yes.. they are on time. Just never ever use EMS for shipping right now. Termination over Post Office might be a painful experience.. a bit like usual hehehe

I saw the free express shipping on checkout.. I didn't saw or knew it was free. 

I might want to add.. the China order I contacted the seller. Ordered Friday and when nothing was moving Wednesday. I wrote a friendly contact message.. if not moving by today, refund and I order somewhere else. Got the tracker very short after..

Scheduled Delivery

Monday2020/06/08

Edited by Prom
added UPS price and china add on
  • Like 3

@Prom

Thanks a ton man, the LM301B's it is then. Any guidance as to what strips to go for? Have been looking at digikey, but even when I put in key words such as "samsung LM301B 3000k strips" it comes up with nothing, when I just use either "samsung" or "LM301B" it comes up with hundereds of things that don't really mean anything to me because it's a bunch of random letters and numbers. If I click on a strip to see the specs I can't find any info on the wattage or the type of diode used on the strips....

• Like 1

@Naughty.Psychonaut

And exactly that is the reason why I go with QBs 😂 I don't want to go over all the needed parameters one at the time.  

On the Quantum Boards I just go for the 3000k 660nm version.. you should get one board for 31$ if you look around on Aliexpress. I went for the H.. because I didn't read up and my inner greed was to big hehehe we can also say.. I shot my own leg.. but at the end I just want to see what is the difference from the V3 boards to the older ones. My goal is still to go solar for my indoor system, so using less energy is something I aim for.

• Like 3

The QBs are with UPS (63$).. and more than double as fast as quoted.. I thought they will need 12 days at least.. 5 days ^^ DHL with the drivers was also 5 days, so yes.. they are on time. Just never ever use EMS for shipping right now. Termination over Post Office might be a painful experience.. a bit like usual hehehe
I saw the free express shipping on checkout.. I didn't saw or knew it was free. 

I might want to add.. the China order I contacted the seller. Ordered Friday and when nothing was moving Wednesday. I wrote a friendly contact message.. if not moving by today, refund and I order somewhere else. Got the tracker very short after..

Scheduled Delivery

Monday2020/06/08

Thanks bro... I might just go through the Aliexpress route for my qbs... I r ordered on the app before and it seems like much less of a hassle than ordering from Alibaba... Around the same price as well.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

@Prom

Thanks a ton man, the LM301B's it is then. Any guidance as to what strips to go for? Have been looking at digikey, but even when I put in key words such as "samsung LM301B 3000k strips" it comes up with nothing, when I just use either "samsung" or "LM301B" it comes up with hundereds of things that don't really mean anything to me because it's a bunch of random letters and numbers. If I click on a strip to see the specs I can't find any info on the wattage or the type of diode used on the strips....

1-Footers (275mm):

LT-Q282A

3000K: SI-B8V051280US

3500K: SI-B8U051280US

4000K: SI-B8T051280US

5000K: SI-B8R051280US

2-Footers (560mm):

LT-Q562A

3000K: SI-B8V101560US

3500K: SI-B8U101560US

4000K: SI-B8T101560US

5000K: SI-B8R101560US

4-Footers (1120mm):

LT-QB22A

3000K: SI-B8V201B20US

3500K: SI-B8U201B20US

4000K: SI-B8T201B20US

5000K: SI-B8R201B20US

You can search the above part numbers on digikey, just pick which length and spectrum.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, CreX said:

Are there going to be any customs charges or what is your final price per panel? 

Wups.. missed that one. Yes, there are customs charges and as much as I like to be fair.. I told them to enter the correct amount when sending. Next order.. I will kindly ask them to put 18$ as price per product. Customs charged me 2200Rand for the 6500R product value. That is just a little greedy in my eyes. So if you order.. add a friendly remark, the Chinese do those cheats with zero problem. 

6500 for 4 panels and 5 drivers? 

Not bad... The drivers are heavy as fuck and likely pushed customs up high. 

8.7k though...hurts lol... But still half the price of an HLG 500😜

Why didn't you try source the drivers locally? 

1 hour ago, SkunkPharm said:

This is exactly what I needed!!!! Thank you kindly good Sir!! :-bow

I am looking at those F series strips with the 144 diodes. Fucking crazy. For some reason I can't open or download any of the data sheets from the Samsung strips on that website. I got the pdf downloaded for the data sheet on the Bridgelux strips, but I need to cram as much W in and it seems my alu frame will be too small to get 300w of the bridgelux strips on there. 

Could I possibly ask one of the forum members who has access to the data sheet of the F series strips to take a screen grab of the wattage on those F series strips, and post it here? The link to the data sheet is given on the LEDgardener website in the link @SkunkPharm provided in the post above.