Emergency, advice needed

TheUltimateNoob

How's It and good evening, 

you have certainly got a lot more knowledge and understanding about caring for your girls and don't make basic errors like putting plants on a cold floor and over watering.

I just saw that picture of the poor droopy girl and offered my experience, because the environment is the most obvious thing to question first. Get the roots happy, don't drown them and most of these problems  and lock outs will cure themselves.

https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/blog-healthy-roots-for-healthy-cannabis-plants-n343

Cold temperatures can also shock plants causing wilting and slowed growth.

Maintaining comfortable 22°C in the root zone will make your plants grow with no undesired side effects of temperature fluctuations.

https://www.cannabisculture.com/content/2002/08/02/2565/When the air temperature remains at 72 degrees and the root zone is cool, which often happens when containers are placed on a cold floor, the roots do not work as efficiently as they do at a higher temperature.

Conversely, cool air temperatures can be ameliorated using warm RZT.

https://hightimes.com/grow/nicos-nuggets-temperature-plants/

Root zone temperatures are equally important as chemical reactions happen at a faster rate in optimal temperatures. These reactions are the mineral uptake from the nutrients we give plants for use in photosynthesis. The better and faster these reactions occur, the quicker and more abundant food the plant will have. The ideal root zone temp for cannabis plants is around 75°F and should always be about 5 degrees cooler than the ambient temperature.

https://www.maximumyield.com/is-root-zone-heating-really-necessary-part-one-the-basics/2/922

They go from being flooded after watering to dry between waterings and from cold at night to warm in the day—the living soil is constantly trying to adapt to this ever-changing environment and so the plant roots do not function as efficiently as they could.

If root zone environments are maintained consistently in the comfort zone, however, plants actually become more photosynthetically efficient—using all the energy they produce to focus on efficient growth and reproduction. As the plants use energy more efficiently, they begin to process nutrients better and they use light and water more efficiently as well, with less 'stretching.' In short, the plants can now utilize resources at the level of their needs, not in excess to overcompensate for stress.

Thanks for the info, haven't read through the links yet but I sure will.

I've never had root temps causing an issue before, but I had to check so I stuck some probes in the soil and took pictures of all my readings... Root temps are a bit lower than optimal and the tree on the left is placed next to the intake, hence the lower temp I'm assuming.

They also got watered not too long ago and the problem tree got a proper flush so the mediums are pretty soaked right now. Will update on the flush in a separate post.690383eb0ee1d9b5990a7f07cac2d843.jpg45b788fff477d34ceeed0640888a087b.jpgf65e80aa7046d9964cd9e033d81a73d7.jpg

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So I've flushed the Black Fire with, if I remember correctly, over 70L of 65ppm water at pH 5.8-6.0, about 3-5L at a time, with a big soak of around 8L every 3-4 regular flushes.

The first flush came out at a severe 1100ppm. I continued to flush the medium and it stayed around 115ppm for 3 flushes after a while so I called it a day. I did a single flush on the Inzane and the water came out 1ppm higher than what went in.
I'll use double the nute solution volume next feed to hopefully sort out whatever is left in the Black Fire medium.

Both runoffs were at a pH 6.5 so the soil is doing its job and buffering out the feeds to the right pH, and the trees were treated exactly the same so I'm not sure what went wrong honestly.

Will update with some pictures in a few hours.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, oros da boss said:

Surely she needs to dry out a bit?

I'm not convinced that all this flushing is the best remedy.

If the plant is not drinking much it is best to let the root zone recover a bit more.

In coco letting your medium dry out too much can cause ph spikes that cause lockouts.

The grower needs to judge according to their plant, the type of container and so on.

Edited by Dank

Yo @TheUltimateNoob , so this is a immobile element deficiency (showing from the top), my guess iron, maybe calcium, or at a stretch both. 
Hope that helps :-greenthumb
That's my suspicion as well due to the fact that I fed with flowering ratio from just before transition week and from what I've read here so far.

It could've created a phosphorus toxicity that prevented the processing of calcium and uptake of iron.

What would he the fix in this case?

• Like 1

Overwatering stress from the flushing would be my guess. 

Must be a more sensitive strain than the insane.

The drooping started before I flushed her for the first time. I flushed my Inzane as kind of a control as well because I treat the trees the same...

I didn't flush as much, because it wasn't necessary, but I did run it through at least 20-30L. The black fire got flushed with about 60L

It may be much more sensitive to defoliation... The lollipop and 2nd defol may have been too much for her to handle... The tree still looks alive and the leaves feel healthy... The discolouration is slowly going away but the leaves still haven't bounced back yet.

• Like 1

Surely she needs to dry out a bit?
I'm not convinced that all this flushing is the best remedy.
Or its roots aren't as well developed as the other fine looking lady.
I flushed to get rid of salts.

The first runoff ppm from the Black Fire was about 450 higher than what the last feed was at, so I figured it needed to be done...
As a comparison, on the first flush, the runoff from the Inzane came out like 1ppm higher than the water I put in... Something was clearly off.

I used 5L fabric pots to veg, with the velcro strip along the side. I checked both root systems before transplanting and the Black Fire roots were slightly behind.. I'd say about 3 days behind in development be the looks of it.

The difference was barely noticeable but it may have caused my issue...?

• Like 1

If the plant is not drinking much it is best to let the root zone recover a bit more.

In coco letting your medium dry out too much can cause ph spikes that cause lockouts.

The grower needs to judge according to their plant, the type of container and so on.

Yeah she didn't seem to be feeding much at all. I flushed to hopefully get the root zone healthy again after having a look at the initial ppms and now I'm waiting.

My medium doesn't get too dry and I have experimented with my limits of medium moisture before, it's safe to say that the medium does not dry out too much or build up salts if fed every 2nd day - to 20% runoff - with plain water after 4 feedings.

I did however start watering to 10% runoff in the past 2 weeks before I started this thread - I haven't had this problem before as I have completed grows in the past with only allowing 10% runoff.

• Like 1

Okay, so I did some more searching I'm pretty sure it was an iron deficiency - in agreement with a few comments from earlier...
I feel it was due to me feeding the flowering ratio nutes too early which resulted in too much of either Ca, Cu, Mn, P or Zn in the medium, blocking iron uptake.

The leaves are regaining colour, so we're in recovery mode now.
A feed is due at lights on later today so I'm not too sure how to go about it on the Black Fire... Any thoughts?

Still waiting for the leaves to bounce back but at least she'll make it through the deficiency.

I'll update my Ethos grow journal later today as well. 530ba7a68e3e8fa3ca85aaeb402669d8.jpgf31e34ba638385aaf7968ec8b7952003.jpgf53d58acbbcbfb72fcbac6b2c79fca60.jpg

• Like 2

@TheUltimateNoob from all that you mentioned above, the two plants have received different amounts of water (please correct me if I'm wrong) since the 60l flush, in a 20l container that is for me a proper flush, enough to affect the nutrients previously contained in the soil. 

If you flushed with plain h2o it's pretty safe to say that the BlackFiredoes needs some food, BUT only after the plant starts consuming more water, 60l flush into flower is about 3:1, quite a shocker to the plant if its plain h2o, usually flushing with a half strength solution enables the grower to leave the plants to recover for up to a week in some cases.

Also being a immobile element deficiency, the plant needs more time to recover than say a Mg deficiency.

Personally I would wait with the BF, just not the best scenario if it was flushed with plain water, because the medium is not balanced. 

Sorry if I missed the details about the flush, just assuming it was with plain water. If u flushed with halfstrenth or added nutrients in the last flush, I would just wait on her and let her recover before feeding/watering again.

:-thumbsup

Edited by Dank
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

@TheUltimateNoob from all that you mentioned above, the two plants have received different amounts of water (please correct me if I'm wrong) since the 60l flush, in a 20l container that is for me a proper flush, enough to affect the nutrients previously contained in the soil. 
If you flushed with plain h2o it's pretty safe to say that the BlackFiredoes needs some food, BUT only after the plant starts consuming more water, 60l flush into flower is about 3:1, quite a shocker to the plant if its plain h2o, usually flushing with a half strength solution enables the grower to leave the plants to recover for up to a week in some cases.
Also being a immobile element deficiency, the plant needs more time to recover than say a Mg deficiency.
Personally I would wait with the BF, just not the best scenario if it was flushed with plain water, because the medium is not balanced. 
Sorry if I missed the details about the flush, just assuming it was with plain water. If u flushed with halfstrenth or added nutrients in the last flush, I would just wait on her and let her recover before feeding/watering again.
:-thumbsup

You're correct... I flushed the Inzane as a control to gauge if one of the plants were way out of range, although it was about 40L less than what was seen by the Black Fire... The pots are 10L

I agree that the BF needs to be fed, but I wanted to wait for her to look relatively healthy again. I understand immobile defs taking longer to work itself out, but things aren't looking that grand either way.

The leaves haven't bounced back yet but the yellowing is fading into green again so yeah I feel like BF will be okay in time, but today I have reason to believe she hermied on me. Will post it shortly for more opinions, but I'm pretty sure... Such a bummer

• Like 1

So yeah, potentially the worst news yet... Are these balls? Lol

They look like it, but I'm in denial. Put me out of my misery, please.

I don't think this strain took well to the HST...
She's been in shock ever since the lollipop and major defol, coupled with an iron deficiency and possible inability to process Phosphorus and Calcium efficiently for about 2 weeks prior...

It happens, I just need confirmation so I can chuck it out of the tent. 9ee9c760da2c1a7c1ebb9b89a6562f4e.jpgdaf5dea3f3a20265c2cb28ecc6c2ae40.jpgcdfa710d4db2279f62827c0e9380d231.jpg

• Like 1

Lets turn it around.. needs a pistil to be a female.. 
Lol, thank you for making it a soft blow.. I guess the stress was a bit too much. It was a female seed, and a freebie at that.

Its a pity it took so long to show sex, I could've vegged the Inzane out a bit more

• Like 2