CBD now schedule 4

Totemic

At the stroke of midnight, we lost our free trade rights to sell CBD.

https://www.tnha.co.za/cbd-exemption-expires-where-to-now-for-cbd/

Consumer’s continued free access to CBD without a prescription under threat.

On the stroke of midnight on Friday the 15th of May, over-the-counter Cannabidiol (CBD) containing products which have been freely traded in South Africa will revert back to being Schedule 4 medications requiring a doctor’s prescription, despite there being no registered (legally approved) prescription CBD medicines in South Africa.

This situation is due to the 12-month exemption notice for certain CBD products expiring without an extension or a permanent exemption despite an impeccable safety profile.

This places importers, contract manufacturers, wholesalers, distributors and retailers which CBD products in a precarious position, not knowing if they may continue to sell CBD products legally or not. CBD now reverts to being a schedule 4 substance in terms of the Schedules of the Medicines Act.

Selling unregistered medicines is a criminal offense under Section 29 of the Medicines and Related Substances Act (Act 101 of 1965).

The entire CBD product value chain now requires pharmaceutical trade licenses or pharmacy licenses to sell CBD products legally.

In May last year a special exempted category of CBD products was created after our organization took the South African Health Products Regulatory Authority (SAHPRA) and Minister of Health to court. In a last minute round-table meeting between the SAHPRA and the TNHA’s legal representatives, a historic agreement was reached to exempt CBD from the schedules under specific trade conditions. These included:

The daily CBD dosage of the product could not exceed 20mg.

The amount of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) could not exceed 1 part per million (0.001%) by volume.

The product labels and associated marketing materials could not contain health claims for diseases or serious symptoms, and could only refer to approved low risk ‘well-being’ claims.

In a short space of a year under the liberalized exemption framework the CBD marketplace in South Africa has grown considerably. There has been a plethora of new local and imported CBD products entering the market, and a healthy and vibrant marketplace has ensued. This brought about many entrepreneurial success stories and employment opportunities.

The public have enjoyed the freedom to choose CBD products freely and gain many benefits from them.

To date the SAHPRA has not conveyed any reservations about the safety concerns, or raised any compliance issues with industry bodies. The TNHA are not aware of any reported harms relating to CBD containing products in South Africa which warrant the substance being tossed back into the legal basket of high risk medications requiring a doctor’s prescription and supervision.

The only stumbling block for the local CBD industry over the past year has been the reluctance of the National Department of Health’s Food Control Directorate to approve CBD as an additive in foodstuffs and beverages, bringing us into alignment with other countries who have developed ‘edibles and drinkables’ markets.

WHERE TO NOW FOR CBD?

The SAHPRA has received various regulatory proposals for CBD and hemp seed oil from representative industry associations leading up to the expiry of the exemption notice.

With the expiry date of the exemption notice having come and gone our organization will now urgently attempt to engage with the SAHPRA and Minister of Health to seek the reasons for the lapse.

With the regulator’s heads wrapped up by COVID-19 and lockdown creating logistical challenges it is possible the deadline was an oversight, or the result of the SAHPRA and Minister not having the time to consider extending the exemption according to stakeholder proposals.

The CBD industry and millions of CBD consumers need clarity on the future status of CBD and its continued access Now!

Many people now rely on CBD for the maintenance of good health, and will undoubtedly suffer without continued free access to it. Other users may have experienced the reversal of serious health conditions. The harm created by arbitrarily removing the product from the free market without cogent scientific or risk-based reasons could result in being deleterious to health and place people’s health at risk. A risk which we believe far outweighs any potential risk of the substance itself under the existing low risk exemption framework.

Should no answer be forthcoming from the SAHPRA and Minister of Health in the near future, the TNHA will have no choice but to proceed with the court case we launched before the exemption.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's a shame, but we can still watch and check all sorts of product quality. Before buying, in any case, I first look at cbdcraftmasters.com reviews and reviews, and only then I risk buying them, because quality is the main thing for me. I am sure that soon everything will work out, and everything will be possible again.

Edited by lafnian1990

3 hours ago, TheUltimateNoob said:

I like an intense euphoria with a mild body stone

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

I wanted to grow a high CBD strain but have never smoked a strain like that before. Didnt know what to expect, so i still have the seed on hand

• Like 1

I wanted to grow a high CBD strain but have never smoked a strain like that before. Didnt know what to expect, so i still have the seed on hand
You won't 'feel' the CBD high.
I've smoked CBD rich strains... It's very relaxing in a way.
The buzz is medicated, and not intoxicating.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/23/2020 at 9:00 AM, zolrooker said:

@zolrooker plant it you won't be dissapointed, I was also under the impression for many years that good skuif is all about THC and didn't pay attention to anything else but I learned my lesson the hard way why CBD content is so important even if its a small amount - one day I smoked a double bladder of some bud (forgot what it was) with a really high THC but only .02+/- CBD content (according to dispensary) so I roll it up and the first half of the joint was loving it, super nice flavour, decent strength, no complaints & puffing away nicely, but on the second half of the joint 5 minutes in the stone is coming on nicely but something started feeling off i got this overwehelming wave of nausiating warmth with an urgent need to sit cause it felt my knees couldn't support my weight, forehead covered im sweat, was litterally vibrating from feeling super tingly & super anxious lol  I was like WTF cause I constantly smoked strains with 20%+ and it never made me anxious or anything like that so the dude at dispensary highlighted the fact that that strain has almost no CBD in it to counteract the THC & I wasn't the first to complain

That's when I learnt every cannabinoid has its place

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Psylecta said:

@zolrooker plant it you won't be dissapointed, I was also under the impression for many years that good skuif is all about THC and didn't pay attention to anything else but I learned my lesson the hard way why CBD content is so important even if its a small amount - one day I smoked a double bladder of some bud (forgot what it was) with a really high THC but only .02+/- CBD content (according to dispensary) so I roll it up and the first half of the joint was loving it, super nice flavour, decent strength, no complaints & puffing away nicely, but on the second half of the joint 5 minutes in the stone is coming on nicely but something started feeling off i got this overwehelming wave of nausiating warmth with an urgent need to sit cause it felt my knees couldn't support my weight, forehead covered im sweat, was litterally vibrating from feeling super tingly & super anxious lol  I was like WTF cause I constantly smoked strains with 20%+ and it never made me anxious or anything like that so the dude at dispensary highlighted the fact that that strain has almost no CBD in it to counteract the THC & I wasn't the first to complain

That's when I learnt every cannabinoid has its place

That body high actually sounds kinda pleasant from the way you're describing it - except for the sweat and nausea. lol

CBD is important though and a must if you want your weed to be balanced. Otherwise not a bad idea keeping some CBD bud around to mix with other strains if you feel the need too.

@Totemic so does that mean its not going to be scheduled?

• Agree 1

Yeah it just made me heavy anxious, a weird feeling in your chest, that then brought on the headsweats but yeah was the 1st time I ever had to lay down cause I felt so weird, wish I remember what strain it was. But yeah didn't smoke it clean again made sure to to mix in other bud just in case lol

Other than that was really decent

Edited by Psylecta

Would this influence the law on flowering plant total though.. I need allota bud for making me some decent coconut infused oil.. That's  what gets me a bit.. If i want to make extracts and smoke some bud.. how do I do that as a outdoor grower growing regular seeds.. with only four in flower..?

Perpetual growing outdoors might become very labour intensive and costly.. As a household, can you then have 8 flowering.. seing as you wil be allowed 1.2kg of dry bud..?

Maybe I shoild just go read the bill again.. 

Digressing....

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Stinger96 said:

Would this influence the law on flowering plant total though.. I need allota bud for making me some decent coconut infused oil.. That's  what gets me a bit.. If i want to make extracts and smoke some bud.. how do I do that as a outdoor grower growing regular seeds.. with only four in flower..?

Perpetual growing outdoors might become very labour intensive and costly.. As a household, can you then have 8 flowering.. seing as you wil be allowed 1.2kg of dry bud..?

Digressing....

Yeah, this opens a whole new can of worms. If I can theoretically fill my garden with cbd plants, just how do saps tell the difference without opening themselves up to civil claims.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Stinger96 said:

Digressing....

Yip 8 flowering plants per 'household' - can always spin what the definition of a household is, but otherwise it really limits your growing options as a personal grower, kicks breeders in the nuts as they forced to break the law and no doubt will impact the the seed market as i imagine people will start favouring high yielding feminised strains over autos, from what I understand you allowed 1.2kg at any given time so having a 8 plants with 1.2kg each is the goal I guess

Spotted 'clubs' online that will grow an auto for you for R2000 and send you the yield (60/80g-so must be auto) but have no idea how legit it is, sounds scammy but my point is I'd imagine these guys would use that argument when cops asks why he has 20 tents in his yard, he could show agreements as proof that the plants belong to another household where they can go and confirm ownership

2 hours ago, Totemic said:

Yeah, this opens a whole new can of worms. If I can theoretically fill my garden with cbd plants, just how do saps tell the difference without opening themselves up to civil claims.

@TotemicWell said, the whole thing is so illogical & paradoxical it adds an extra 2 to the term ''catch 22'' - 

• 6 months later...

This is sad news. This is a huge step back, especially if you remember how long the law on legalization was passed. Besides, a lot of people need it. I use CBD oil for medical purposes, as prescribed by a doctor. I was a bit skeptical about this, as there are many opinions about it.
Furthermore, I hesitated for a long time, but my pain was severer, and I decided to start taking it. It was one of the best days I've had in a long time because I finally stopped feeling the chronic pain I've been feeling for years. Of course, you can treat it badly or well, but the benefits of marijuana are there.

Edited by DonnaWilson
  • Like 1