Looking for African Landrace Strains

Prom

I mean, I saw all the talk as respectful except the part where someone had to apologise for coming across hostile instead of pressing backspace a couple times and try rewriting what they said and this after they claim to not even have read the full thread, AND the same person goes on to call others out on letting their feelings in the way. 😅 

honestly I don't even see a point in talking to people like that anyway

so what I am saying is not aimed at anyone specific, but if someone feels they fall under the mentioned catagories and these things apply to you, then so be it. 

what you highlighted there is a good question with an easy answer.... 

21 hours ago, Golden-Goose said:

But that's just the thing... how much selective breeding is actually happening when we talk about the big boys in the game? If I have a stud, and then hit every single elite cookie clone I have with the pollen. Give each strain a cool name and slap some high end packaging on it, what have I actually done? Have I bred something for a desired taste, or maybe a certain type of high? Of course not.

mr. @Golden-Goose are you trying to tell me that a brand like cookies became so big by random selection? or some sort of "elite man algorithm" that chooses people based on how cool they are? or based on anything other than the quality of weed they put forth?????? man..... you really going to be doing this to yourself?

a brand like cookies got as big as they are simply because the masses chose them.

now I am not saying they NEVER did random selection to find some new stuff, but I am as sure as I am that the sun will rise in the morning that a brand like cookies did NOT get as big as they are by luck or by putting out shit products.

it's super simple...

they listened to what the people want

and most important of all, they didn't let their feelings get in the way 🤣 

• Like 2

You clearly do have a lot to say about it, well so do I and this is a social platform where people discuss things cannabis related. We all have a lot to say about a lot of topics on this forum, that's why we're here, but like mr.ChrisJay said, we talk respectfully. I understand we all have emotions, but keeping a hair trigger on your emotions and being a hot head is just bad qualities in general. If you don't wana have a normal discussion, then don't. 

It's simple.

Anyway, hope everyone is having a nice weekend so far! Be safe and enjoy! :-trip

• Like 1

🤪 i just look for African Landrace seeds.  😉

Have Malawi and Swazi... some Kilimanjaro would be nice. If somebody want to share a few seeds. I will take good care of them in my seed vault. 😊

And to the breeding discussion. Lots of opinions, loads of passion... as long as you have fun, all and everything is kinda legit in breeding. Is a bit a zoo out there but still better as the hemp GESTAPO walks from door to door. 😳 😁 

• Like 1

that picture chrisjay posted is crazy, aswell as few pictures from the first page of the thread, gotta be some old school or rather less tampered-with stuff! 😁 

@Prom you guys hunted some of the swazi and malawi stuff yet? would be interesting to see what they do and if they worth keeping around?

let's put the end product aside,

for a backyard breeder, how likely are you to find desirable traits to work with in that batch of seeds versus the same size batch of F4 regulars of the modern polypolypoly stuff? 

my inexperienced mind would just tell me that a breeder has to go way deeper into the "untampered-with" stuff to find worthy traits than you would with the modern stuff. and that speaks volumes to the whole topic of how todays strains are the strains of the day, because of human interverntion and selective breeding. not the other way around. 

there are reasons why history is important, for sure, that's why we should know about these old school strains, they have their rightful place in all our hearts just as they did in the 70's to the people who made it big in the industry at the time, the very reason is because they where selected by the masses back when all the crosses where still just landrace crosses. 

I am not saying finding those old school stuff is impossible, it actually is possible just more likely for the big time growers and not the average joe, because a strain doesn't gain unicorn status by simply being available online, it also only makes sense to me if you reeeally know what you looking for and you're able to go deeeeep into the genetic pool, because to the untrained you'll find something pure and grow it out and be thoroughly displeased by its looks, smell and growth and everything, without knowing what they really looking at. even the trained and extra seasoned will find more undesirable traits than desirable ones, hence the reason why you should be able to go deeep in the gene pool. 

• Like 1
  • Fire! 1

I am no breeder 😳 very far from that title... i dont even want to get involved. I just grow and smoke weed 😁 that is a bit my passion... 

Just want to turn them into autos. I think i can do it, but time frame and if i get a final product, totally open... never did that, so why not? 🤪 I like to try new things. Have another additive on test too and see if it is as good as people told me. 

• Like 2

hahahah true true, always good to fiddle around to find out some new stuff if that's where your passion drives you, how they always say "do it for science!" 🤓

I respect that 😁 

I will go extraordinary lengths for the things I am passionate about, so much so that what I am doing sometimes might not make sense to others. 

• Like 2

I don't know Cookies very well, however just because something is popular doesn't mean it's great.

You can't be telling me 50 000 screaming fans are never wrong, they could be morons. Lol

However clearly whatever they are doing is working for them, perhaps they've found a niche in the market.

With time things change, what is popular and what people will continue to change as time goes on.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

My very first thread on here was called New Bee.. I hunted Swazi bag seed as my first propper outdoor grow.. From a 120 seeds I think 112 popped. I ended up with 17 plants in the end. 4 or 5 Was stolen 6 or 7 hermied and the rest ended up in smoke.. With all the knowledge I gained in the 2 years since then on this forum, I would love to do a propper Swazi hunt again.. Below some pics of the girls. Out of this batch of seeds I gifted @Prom some for his Auto experiment.. The best plants of the run was stolen and one was flattened and hermied after I tried closing the area off.. Only one really gave me the old school Swazi vibe I can remember of the mid 90s.. The rest was a bit disappointing to say the least..👌👍🌱

20190311_075612.thumb.jpg.f794fd597406fa9b2ef475bed8fce578.jpg

20190327_070958.thumb.jpg.2aa9e2aab9d0c9474a8269dc032c62a9.jpg

20190403_232541.thumb.jpg.24d1a5d9c9727429bb2439fe0c93cc5d.jpg

20190406_131116.thumb.jpg.798dc87131b29f0adf9aacd9ad243233.jpg

20190406_131121.thumb.jpg.dd73a228d1d3a85580967effcc6561b9.jpg

20190408_075150.thumb.jpg.4687b3c8547039b3438f89e4ece34c2d.jpg

20190410_074612.thumb.jpg.617fa991ae8c0db80fe4657d0ab4aec7.jpg

20190316_222256.thumb.jpg.cb04ef11f7f14fea312dacee744a80e0.jpg

IMG-20190315-WA0012.thumb.jpg.42f9dfb1ee6099830ccc9cdf30651691.jpg

IMG-20190315-WA0017.thumb.jpg.ea9a58aa92568bd99c3208640a558e95.jpg

IMG-20190417-WA0027.thumb.jpg.8880fb85e5772d345f1afab5861a3616.jpg

IMG-20190503-WA0002.thumb.jpg.b1f97b9020f0375d010af683fbf53bcb.jpg

:-peace

Edited by Stinger96
  • Like 3

I don't know Cookies very well, however just because something is popular doesn't mean it's great.

You can't be telling me 50 000 screaming fans are never wrong, they could be morons. Lol

However clearly whatever they are doing is working for them, perhaps they've found a niche in the market.

With time things change, what is popular and what people will continue to change as time goes on.

Carling Black Label the beer for Champion's comes to mind.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

On 9/18/2021 at 5:39 PM, PsyCLown said:

On 9/18/2021 at 6:23 PM, DamDave said:

Carling Black Label the beer for Champion's comes to mind.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

what's gooood my guys 😁 

psy, I see what you saying and it is true, but only to a certain extent. 

the bigger the fan base the more room for error kinda thing. 

difference is, it's all opinion based, there is no fact as to say "the best weed out there" that term shouldn't exist, which means you can't say even one guy is wrong in selecting what he likes more. 

infact, it boils down to simple maths. find the mode. if your liking, on something which is opinion based, differs from the masses it just means you're singled out from the masses. doesn't mean the masses are wrong about anything, because simply there is no factual "best" when it comes to weed. it's all based on preference. you can't tell someone they're wrong because they like something different than you.

so, in a situation like this, either we're singled out from the masses or we accept that our opinion differs from the masses, but calling the masses wrong cause it doesn't suit your liking is a dangerous game to play 😅

with the black lable poo water, there are similarities and I get the compatison, but again it's based on preference. 

we have a end product on our hands here. the beer is already shit, so nothing to say about that by itself, but because it's botteled and as a whole there is a fixed price to it and all kinds of fixed objectives that put a beer in the place of being factually compartmentalised as one "product" and that it is better than the "product" next to it. for this reason I totally agree that there are companies that misuse their power. 

as soon as pricing and packaging comes into play we can jump from opinion to facts. 

though, we have to take into concideration, the cookies brand did not take the world by storm because of their cool packaging and cheap pricing. they DEFINITELY did not outsell their competion by underpricing their product. they grew out some danky dank that the masses fucked with, this gave them the opportunity, platform and street credit to create a brand for quite a while actually before the "cookies" strain was crossed and brought onto the market. they didn't go from 0 to 100 by creating the cookies brand, in fact they could only create the cookies brand once they where already at 100 and everyone was already fucking with them. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

a very good example here is the KK, big hype in america when Wiz Khalifa brought out his own kush cross, it was for himself, a weed that only he likes. this weed is available at dispensaries and it is without a doubt one of the most niche branded weeds out there. not even priced that harsh, yet it doesn't make it into the big time big league market. 

why not?

It wasn't made for the masses, Wiz didn't care about what would sell the best, he made something for himself and it sells accordingly.

• Like 1

@Naughty.Psychonaut You are 100% right, there is no best weed, best car, best shoes, best shorts, best t-shirt etc.

It comes down to specific situations and preferences. There are times however, where majorty will agree that something is below average or just utter crap or wont deny that there is something better out there.

With that being said, I still feel there is progress which gets made. New strains with more frost, more THC, perhaps more overall terps, different cannabinoid profiles etc. as well as new cars with more power and lower fuel consumption, extra safety features and the general technological advancements incorporated, the same applies to shoes and clothes and perhaps the Adidas 4D shoes are further proof to this as well as new technologies to help make fabrics look newer for longer and help them retain the qualities we want as well as incorproate some newer qualities and there are newer fabrics or ways to use the fabrics to achieve what we want - situation dependent.

There might be traits we dislike from some breeders, perhaps even breeders we support by buying their seeds and growing them out.... With that being said, there was a reason we bought their seeds - even if it was just based on hype.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

a very good example here is the KK, big hype in america when Wiz Khalifa brought out his own kush cross, it was for himself, a weed that only he likes. this weed is available at dispensaries and it is without a doubt one of the most niche branded weeds out there. not even priced that harsh, yet it doesn't make it into the big time big league market. 

why not?

It wasn't made for the masses, Wiz didn't care about what would sell the best, he made something for himself and it sells accordingly.

KK? it better be Khalifa Kush or ill sue 😂

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

@Naughty.Psychonaut You are 100% right, there is no best weed, best car, best shoes, best shorts, best t-shirt etc.

It comes down to specific situations and preferences. There are times however, where majorty will agree that something is below average or just utter crap or wont deny that there is something better out there.

With that being said, I still feel there is progress which gets made. New strains with more frost, more THC, perhaps more overall terps, different cannabinoid profiles etc. as well as new cars with more power and lower fuel consumption, extra safety features and the general technological advancements incorporated, the same applies to shoes and clothes and perhaps the Adidas 4D shoes are further proof to this as well as new technologies to help make fabrics look newer for longer and help them retain the qualities we want as well as incorproate some newer qualities and there are newer fabrics or ways to use the fabrics to achieve what we want - situation dependent.

There might be traits we dislike from some breeders, perhaps even breeders we support by buying their seeds and growing them out.... With that being said, there was a reason we bought their seeds - even if it was just based on hype.

this is spot on!!! 😁 

another good example is the "delta 8". a new form of cannabis on the market suited for those who have bad experience with the psychoactive properties of delta 9 THC. 

if you grow out some regular delta 9 THC and it gives a reading of 10% THC and you grew out a delta 8 and the THC reading also gives you 10%, that 10% from the delta 8 will hit you less than the 10% from a delta 9. 

so basically it's less potent. why even make this if the race is to see who grows the "best" stuff??? 

well, that's simply because to a certain population that make up the whole of the masses the less potent stuff is the better stuff.

• Like 1

Just had a guest staying over for the last couple days and guess what we spoke about, Landrace. It was not only an interesting discussion, but great news is there is one documentary coming out in December ( Sponsored by GHS ) , and hours of footage of another "landrace" documentary that still needs finishing. If anyone here would like to get on video and talk about landrace cannabis please let me know, any suggestions of other people who are knowledgeable in the field would be welcome to. Very excited to see this video published.

Edited by Chris Jay
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Chris Jay said:

Posting this new potumentary here. Been speaking loads about landrace with Simon and I have a feeling something interesting is going to happen in the new year. Pull up a chair, light up a spliff and enjoy. 

You are a legend. Thank you very much for sharing this. A very nice way to start a public holiday.

• Agree 1
  • Fire! 1