420SA Growoffs 2020 - How can we improve

420SA

Sup Guys, how's the planing going for the next indoor growoff? 

Anything planned for the near future?

I also support a buy-in idea with participants paying a fee to enter the competition and to be able to get the seeds for the comp.

I personally found the forum thanks to the growoff poster that I saw on Facebook. Maybe we could do a competition between members on the forum more like a "forum only" growoff with the more experienced growers.

Then we can do an open growoff for amateurs with some advertisement before hand to draw some more people to the forum if we want to grow the forum? But I guess then we still have the issue of them not posting or keeping their dairies updated. 

Maybe a minimum like R100 to enter the amateur competition with prices going to the best dairies with forum members voting. Let's say the top 5 dairies get 50% off to enter the next "forum only growoff" and completed dairies have the option to join the "forum only growoff". 

I don't think I saw any Solo cup challenge on the forum, maybe a solo cup growoff can be fun.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hi fellow growers, just read through this thread and came up with an idea to ensure that all participants grow a similar or same phenotype... Maybe it has already been brought up but what about every participant gets a clone from one motherplant? Would that be possible from a logistical point of view?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 10:21 AM, 420SA said:

Perhaps an entry fee may need to be charged but we will discuss that a bit later

Reading through your post and thinking about it. it makes sense to have an entry fee. You get respect for it, I am talking about the people paying the entries. It can be used for the distribution costs, so you dont have suppliers letting you down. Free does not work, people dont respect free. Throw the entries into a kitty of sort and make the winnings bigger or lets donate that as a community to the Dagga Couple/ Fields of Green for All. Afterall they are the reason why we can grow in the first place.

I dont think you should eliminate newbie growers, but of course they need to be active in the community. Just want to say keep it up. I won 3rd prize in a comp on here last year, never expected anything and received my prize very quickly. Great community!!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 12:00 PM, Totemic said:

It has been great to watch my seeds being grown out. The biggest thing for me was the sheer amount of seeds that went out, and the tiny proportion that bothered to take part stood out. I personally was hoping for more, but it us what it is, and many were just after the seeds I guess.

Really dissapointed to hear people would actually take the piss like that - forum should create a blacklist of somekind for these dodgy bastards but i would agree that having a requirement of 3- 5 grows DOCUMENTED on forum is a good way to deter that kind of shady behaviour at least then one can be more certain that majority of entrants will participate & more likely to log diary/follow rules (or atleast have no excuse not to log diary/follow rules) & as a result would be less of an effort to regulate as everyone should have a good idea of what/what not to do

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/15/2020 at 11:37 AM, PsyCLown said:

As for a Telegram chat, I am concerned that people may start talking about their grows in the chat instead of sharing the info on the forum for the other forum members. In terms of communication if there is an issue, whether it is on Telegram, the forum via your mobile browser or Tapatalk it's all much of a muchness really.

I may be new around here, and it may not be my place to say this, but I have some experience with other forums in the past. Most of them do not exist anymore as a result of the advent of Wattsapp groups and telegram type arrangements. 

I would strongly discourage the use of anything other than the forum for communication purposes.

With regards the rest of the points:

Definitely charge a fee to discourage okes who are just in it for the freebie seeds! Not fair on the breeders.

Post count and a completed grow seem good entry criteria.

As a newb, a dedicated category for newbs would be lekker, if there happens to be a small prize even better, but the experience gained will be reward enough for most!

Looking forward to watching this develop and hopefully take part one day!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DamDave said:

Maybe take the entry fee and use that to buy vouchers at various suppliers then hand vouchers out for prizes.

Sent from my DRA-LX5 using Tapatalk

Would be awesome if we could somehow make the entry fee 1x plant or clone from each participant then all the pot goes into a pooled pot (excuse the pun) and make the plants the prizes for winning 1st/2nd/3rd place - 1st 50% of total pot 2nd 30% 3rd 20% etc

Other sponsors can still sponsor prizes in exchange for exposure/free advertising/marketing but value shouldnt be more than say a grand (not more otherwise you potentially run into issue of sponsor pulling/not honoring prizes)

Many problems with this though, one would be the damn plant count law + the whole thing could be easily labeled as gambling/a raffle then there's the logistics issue and storage of plants/entry fee's + distribution once comp is done.

Would of been awesome because for one everyone would put their heart into doing their best to win competition as they'd stand to win a butt load of various strains/genetics but in the same breath would be opening up to the possibility of having to be on lookout for all sorts of shady shenanigans from people looking to take the piss at everyone's expense

40 minutes ago, Psylecta said:

Would be awesome if we could somehow make the entry fee 1x plant or clone from each participant then all the pot goes into a pooled pot (excuse the pun) and make the plants the prizes for winning 1st/2nd/3rd place - 1st 50% of total pot 2nd 30% 3rd 20% etc

Other sponsors can still sponsor prizes in exchange for exposure/free advertising/marketing but value shouldnt be more than say a grand (not more otherwise you potentially run into issue of sponsor pulling/not honoring prizes)

Many problems with this though, one would be the damn plant count law + the whole thing could be easily labeled as gambling/a raffle then there's the logistics issue and storage of plants/entry fee's + distribution once comp is done.

Would of been awesome because for one everyone would put their heart into doing their best to win competition as they'd stand to win a butt load of various strains/genetics but in the same breath would be opening up to the possibility of having to be on lookout for all sorts of shady shenanigans from people looking to take the piss at everyone's expense

Skimmed through your post.

I think its best that if you do want a cutting, you reach out to the person growing it and see if they're willing. A cutting would need to be taken and kept alive before the plant goes into flower. Not everyone has a separate veg and flower tent and won't be able to do this.

• Like 1

@PsyCLown was just a thought - reward the winner with a sick strain but you got a point especially thinking about my setup if I were to win a clone, unless the cutting has already developed its root system I wouldn't be able to do much so I definitely agree, would off been a nice way of someone earning a decent strain instead of 'cyber begging' lol

2 hours ago, Psylecta said:

Would of been awesome because for one everyone would put their heart into doing their best to win competition as they'd stand to win a butt load of various strains/genetics

I have not partaken in any of the previous grow offs, but im pretty sure everyone grows the same strains. 

Unless you offer a cut of something you are growing specifically which would be difficult for the growers who don't keep mothers or who's plants are currently flowering.

I think the best option is a buy in. R200 an entry covers shipping and can chip into the prize pool. Maybe sponsors would add to it and give a voucher for their store. But most of all, it will deter those looking to grab some free beans.

Yeah i know everyone grows the same strain hehe i was referrimg to using a plant as an entry fee depending on amount might be a bnit much for those affected by covid (also figured a good way to stop ppl claiming free seeds is to put a plant as collateral as no one will give away a plant to get free seeds - robbing peter to pay paul situation) then if enough people do this share the plants out among winners across different categories & sub catagories (best newbie, best trainer etc)

But there's a few problems with that as mentioned so yeah most likely simplest is entry fee the only thing is kinda defeats the point if only 5 ppl enter, know what I mean?

Which ever way It happens. I’m more than happy to participate. 

If there must be some minimum requirement. Let it be money in the form or a entry/reg fee. 

Maybe one of our seed suppliers could part sponsor some real fire for everyone to grow and ensure consistency, it would make sense given the entry fee. Maybe even inclusive. Then there’s something to grow for. Some commitment.

Achieving an even playing field would be quite hard. So if everybody gets a seed and pushes out a bud/pics after X amount of time. Considerations judged for both indoor and outdoor criteria. Could be quite an exciting competition 

• Agree 1

Would love to participate in next year's outdoor grow off. Was dissapointing to have fallen out of last season's grow.

Would be cool if the out door could start at mid Jan. Much more manageable plants and less chance of outdoor pollination. Also keeps the thread short and less monotonous. Would love to try @Totemic 's seeds from a winter pheno hunt. They should end off strong mid June latest.

:-peace

1 hour ago, Stinger96 said:

Would love to participate in next year's outdoor grow off. Was dissapointing to have fallen out of last season's grow.

Would be cool if the out door could start at mid Jan. Much more manageable plants and less chance of outdoor pollination. Also keeps the thread short and less monotonous. Would love to try @Totemic 's seeds from a winter pheno hunt. They should end off strong mid June latest.

:-peace

Sadly I wouldn't even be done with the testing phase(starting in November) of my new crosses by then. Even my choco NL f5 run is only half way. Only the female has been selected. I'm yet to select my male, and that's only happening in January or February. 

For an indoor growoff next year around March, I could definately provide seeds.

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 4

• 420SA unpinned this topic