Advice on harvest timing

Zane02

Hi guys

My plants are in two different locations with lockdown! So I just want to plan my harvests. Can some of the experienced guys hazard a guess? 
What will be my best bet for Boveda packs in the Gauteng area? Greenthumb Hydro is closed and I don’t think I will be able to courier anything. Hopefully lockdown does not get extended and I can harvest after that.

First two pics- Mango. On flowering times I reckon this one will be first.

Next two- Sour Cheese.
Last one- Swazi Gold. Going to be a while!

34A18D3A-7523-4879-8128-7B5C5F8F91E3.jpeg

333249AB-D674-427E-ADA1-498B3B47B9C2.jpeg

9B3FD57E-CB83-4E05-9E6E-C54863FB0F36.jpeg

5A34E6F2-EFCE-435B-8D13-F0009BEB054C.jpeg

0E2AEC03-C9B4-433F-B5FB-E7ED6E389FCF.jpeg

• Like 1

Telling somebody over a picture to harvest or not.. isn't the easiest. But I also understand that it is a rather confusing step.. and a very important one too.

This is my personal opinion and nothing written in stone 😁

As long as the pistils are out, I do not even think into harvest... is my sign for: don't worry.. you still have some time to wait... not even unpacking the pocket microscope

DSC_0011.thumb.JPG.ce25d9be2ad6663c27bb81e7810a36f1.JPG

Then comes the time the pistils are dried up.. this is when I make my first check.. and decide what kind of weed I want to get.. depending on the weather, you might have to get harvest started.. otherwise.. waiting for taste and couch effect

Candy_Kush.thumb.JPG.f642115668df254d688c0bfde21ea093.JPG

And this is the latest I harvest, you see the amber by just looking at it. In my book that is ~50% (little bit more on the plus side)

Gelato2.thumb.JPG.8057400aa55c9215eb03409d46ccf99b.JPG

Hope that helped a little to decide what you do 😊

• Like 4

I'll agree with@Prom on those steps.
It is very difficult to tell from just a picture, you need some form of magnification to check several spots on the buds to get an overall idea of where they are at.

As a grower you need to aquire certain basic but valuable tools....a handheld loupe or magnifying glass being one of them. At least x40-x100 magnification.(x10 not enough)
Pls don't only check the sugar leaves...focus more on the calyxes on the body of the bud.(Sugar leaves tend to go amber faster than the rest of the bud).

I check the top, middle and bottom of the large buds/colas. But also spot check all over the plant.
When the pistils start browning(peak pollination time), I check once or twice a week. With repetitive checking you will begin to see clear trichs going milky.
As pistils brown completely, I'll start checking every day. If I am happy with the colours, I'll still wait a day or so.
Then we harvest.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Advice you have gotten is spot on.

Generally when the pistils are out everywhere and white, it's still got a while to go and some fattening up to do.

Once it has fattened up and the pistils are not sticking out as much  then I start to check with a microscope, once you have gone through the process of checking the trichomes and seeing how the bud fattens up and what happens with the pistils it's easier to gauge on the next grow with your eyes as to when you need to actually whip out the microscope / loupe.

The picture above is also a great reference as to what you need to look for in terms of colouring, it can be difficult with a loupe and therefore I use a microscope but I understand not everyone has access to one. Yours still appear to have a while to go, to me it does not look as if you will be harvesting in April so no need to worry about the lockdown affecting your harvest currently.

Thanks a lot for the input. Very useful information.

I do have a x40 loupe but It really only enables me to see the trichs. Will never be able to make out clear or milky with it. After lockdown I will just get a microscope to be able to get better info.

Thanks a lot guys. Looking forward to my first harvest!👊

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

Sorry I have to ask for advice again. Got sent pictures by the guy looking after some of my plants at a different location than where I am. I know its difficult to tell from a picture, but can someone a bit more experienced than I am, hazard a guess as when I can go to harvest them?

EEA5CC7C-54C9-4F4A-9C72-36C978F31B5C.jpeg

E5EA112B-0B30-41E6-8354-6B562C68088F.jpeg

This is the best I could do. These are the plants that are with me. They are the same age as the others. The last one is the same strain as the above pictures. The rest is of the Mango which is probably suppose to be a bit further along.

87194618-BD30-440C-A3DB-126C9EA58B9C.jpeg

F3B8E393-2AA0-4300-A19B-1EC15D27F499.jpeg

236C9C5C-CCD8-45C6-BC29-DFE3033F6077.jpeg

4C378BA4-B3ED-445A-9604-AFC7FF48240B.jpeg

I would wait.. third pic has a bit color and you could decide to take her down, if you want more of a energizer effect.

Nr 4 is still rather far out.. 

I would wait with all those plants.. let em get a bit more amber

• Thanks 1