How long after germination should it sprout above the soil.

Greg

Hi All

new and novice grower here, and need some help. 

Iv just planted 2 strains now. A white widow and a Northern blue tut. 

I succesfully germinated both seeds in the glass of water method, they both had a small taproot form but as soon as the tip appeard maybe 1-2 millimeters i planted them in a coco peet pre nutrition mix. About 2 cm deep in soil

Now the white widow did fine its already appeared and making progress it took about 2 days to rise above the soil 

the king tut however hasnt. Just wandering if somethings wrong or is this a stain that might take longer to sprout. and whats the longest youve waited for a strain ( maybe indica strain) to sprout after planting. 

Conditions might not be perfect as summers coming to an end, its slightly colder at night, but iv been told indicas do slightly better in cold than sativas dues to their origins,  but soil is damp not wet and not dry, its basically an outdoor setup, but after about 4:30 i put them under a basic 100w regular garden LED. for extra  light. 

Any help would be appreciated. image.thumb.jpg.06815dbd089e0a88cdeae0608cb22415.jpg

11 hours ago, Greg said:

Hi All

new and novice grower here, and need some help. 

Iv just planted 2 strains now. A white widow and a Northern blue tut. 

I succesfully germinated both seeds in the glass of water method, they both had a small taproot form but as soon as the tip appeard maybe 1-2 millimeters i planted them in a coco peet pre nutrition mix. About 2 cm deep in soil

Now the white widow did fine its already appeared and making progress it took about 2 days to rise above the soil 

the king tut however hasnt. Just wandering if somethings wrong or is this a stain that might take longer to sprout. and whats the longest youve waited for a strain ( maybe indica strain) to sprout after planting. 

Conditions might not be perfect as summers coming to an end, its slightly colder at night, but iv been told indicas do slightly better in cold than sativas dues to their origins,  but soil is damp not wet and not dry, its basically an outdoor setup, but after about 4:30 i put them under a basic 100w regular garden LED. for extra  light. 

Any help would be appreciated. image.thumb.jpg.06815dbd089e0a88cdeae0608cb22415.jpg

👊I wait upto a week. Some sort of warmth does assist. Be patient with it and don't let the seed dry out.

Whenever you do a few seeds in future it's better to include the paper towel method to your method. It helps the little taproot grow out it's shell and gets it ready to pop the surface once planted.

All the best

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

What's up Greg,

I hope this will help put your mind at ease. I dropped 4 seeds on 27 Feb, all into bleached jiffies soaked in distilled water, in a humidity dome under some nice strong CFLs and on a heat pad under a towel, humidity was between 90% and 95% and temps where 30 to 35°C. All took 1 day to break surface, except one. That one only broke surface 19 days later. In my notes I already declared that one a dud and replaced it, took another week or so for the cotyledons to open. I'll tell you that lady had me rolling around at night wondering what I can do, but all she needed was time... now I just have one extra plant! 

Some seeds just take their time and one thing I have learnt from popping seeds is don't do anything funny, don't even try do things you think will be good for it if you're not sure it will help, most seeds or seedlings die because of over caring. 

Goodluck, bud! 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Hey wats up everyone. 

Firstly thanks for all the help, really great wealth of knowlege here, appreciate it. 

So just to give you all un update. My worst nightmare had come true. After waiting as long as i could i had to investigate, and found some sort of larvae chowing my dam seed 😡

Clealry down to growing environment. As this is pretty much an outdoor kinda grow, but do use a simple LED for extra light. But basically no prevention for any pests. And one got contaminated. If i had the cash would love to invest in a grow tent but till then will have to make do. 

Which brings me to my next question: Can you use a simple organic pesticide on the top soil of a seed that hasnt sprouted yet. Or on a small plant,  I was a bit scared to try worrying that it may be too strong and cause some damage. 

But at least those f***uckers didnt get to my White widow, and my Amnesia Haze is going strong 💪 

iv sprayed the pesticide over the soil only on my small widow and Haze is big enough to get a good once a week spray. And that seems to work fine for any pests. 

IMG_0604.JPG

Glad to share some knowledge, bud! After all help is what we all came here for, that and our shared level of enthusiasm concerning this plant! 

That's a real shame losing that seedling man, I'm sorry for the loss! You don't perhaps have a pic of the larvae? What pesticide are you using?

That is one big reason why I pop seeds in jiffies, they're bleached so basically free of any living organisms and contaminant free! If you use distilled or RO water you're basically just providing a moist environment for the seed, you will never run into any problem unless the seeds are duds. Then you just have to chek temps (for seed sprouting I would say 5°C above growing conditions is perfect, so I let it range between 33°C and 38°C, try to stay below thay 40 mark, perfect) and probably the most important is to have nice direct light contact when the seed breaks surface. Humidity is not actually all that important to be completely honest. 

The seedling is in jiffy for like a week then transplant, by then the plant has already established a root, that will give you the ability to mix a soil with a good amount of Diatomaceous Earth in it, not only does it kill living organisms aspecialy larvae, but it also feeds the roots, provides trace elements and some calcium.  You could try popping the seed directly into the mix with the DE in it and skip the jiffy, but you have to be aware that in turn that can cause problems too expecting a seed to pop in all kinds of mediums. Seeds actually literally only need moisture to pop and break surface. Infact any kinds of nutes or anything more than just plain moisture can cause more harm than good. Jiffies are so cheap and the difference it makes is really quite something. 

Stay far far faaaar away from giving any seedling any treatment untill the first set of true leaves and then start by half dosages till they're 4/5 nodes tall then you can use the recommended dosage. I've seen people introduce mycorrizhea in the seed soak stage, (which honestly makes no sense at all in my opinion) and none of the seeds popped, about half of them cracked open and showed a little tap root, but never made it past that. So when I say your seed needs only moisture, I literally mean only moisture. That's also another reason why people seed soak and then the paper towl method till you see a 1cm long tap root then you know it's not a dud atleast. Then into jiffy and I'm telling you man, 95 to 100% success rate. 

• Thanks 1

Only a pleasure! 

Ludwigs organic stuff is nice, no problem with it. I would still like to recommend BioNeem, just because it's a mild foliar feed aswell as insecticide and keeps most bad bacteria at bay aswell. One thing to keep in mind is that it's a preemptive so you can't use it to control infestations and stuff, but rather to prevent those situations. The fact that it keeps my plant healthy and everytime I use it my leaves shine and look super thick and happy AND helps the plant fend for itself against pests and what not, keeps me coming back for more, always have a bottle on hand. 

About the DE, you might not find it as easy, not all nurseries have it. You can get it at the hydroshop. I have seen a generic form of it in some nurseries, it's a product called "Worteldokter".

• Agree 1