What would it take to get off the grid for water and power?

Lucid-grower

Hello.

I am just considering the Doomsday scenario, and I am curious if anyone has done the math somewhere, on how to get off the grid?

For power: What are the options? Wind + Solar + Battery?
For water: I already get my water from a borehole, I would just need to power it separately.

So has anyone done the math on getting off the grid, perhaps with links and suggestions for products?

(I'm not retreating into post-apocalypse mentality, I've always wanted to do this anyway, PS: Anyone seen the episode of South Africa's orania on Netflix's Dark Tourist?)

Thanks, stay safe out there.

You find solar calculators all over the place. It depends how much you consume.. same counts for the borehole pump. If you want to drink the water, run it though a filter.

Just calculate all the wattage from the gear you want to run over a 24 hour cycle.. and then check with a company (for example: https://www.exsolar.co.za/) how much the system would cost.

I suggest to go with a hybrid system and not a pure off-grid setup. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Done it bru.

Growing my first batch of plants under solar lights run by an Atom450 generator in our nursery, fed by spring water delivered from a solar pump. Basically to stretch the day beyond the 12/12 seasonal limit. Our 3rd gen plants going into bloom now since the start of the season.

Our house runs off a Blue Nova 24KWhr lithium battery. Still charging with Eskom, but a solar filed is in planning. Like "what loadshed?"

• Thanks 1

Hello.

I am just considering the Doomsday scenario, and I am curious if anyone has done the math somewhere, on how to get off the grid?

For power: What are the options? Wind + Solar + Battery?

For water: I already get my water from a borehole, I would just need to power it separately.

So has anyone done the math on getting off the grid, perhaps with links and suggestions for products?

(I'm not retreating into post-apocalypse mentality, I've always wanted to do this anyway, PS: Anyone seen the episode of South Africa's orania on Netflix's Dark Tourist?)

Thanks, stay safe out there.

Bro, I've done some math on it if you're interested. Even thought up a breaker system to operate 24hr appliances separate from entertainment & lights, etc all with fused breakers and with the overall circuit grounded.

It was a while back and for future projects but I wouldn't mind trying to go through some of the math again. I'll need to get updated prices though

Solar + battery is the best option right now I feel.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1