1000HILLS Nursery 2020 Project 1

1000Hills Nursery

15 minutes ago, Louis said:

I need some tips lol, your plants look amazing and as healthy as could b, hat off to u my friend 👌

Thanks for the kind words. Once you have some beanz popped and start posting the progress, the 420sa fam will be here to assist... Be it growing related or even just equipment related. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheUltimateNoob said:

really impressed with the symetrical growth on these clones, its something I've consistently failed at... Think you could help me out

I think it depends where/when the clone was taken.

For example, Topping when the plant is still growing symmetrically will give you a nice symmetrical clone.

Cloning a branch on a 3 month old mother plant will give you an asymmetrical clone.

That's my taking on it, someone correct me if I am wrong.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I think it depends where/when the clone was taken.
For example, Topping when the plant is still growing symmetrically will give you a nice symmetrical clone.
Cloning a branch on a 3 month old mother plant will give you an asymmetrical clone.
That's my taking on it, someone correct me if I am wrong.
Yeah i get the basics bro, but generally people don't clone off the main, hollow stem... Popular opinion online is that it doesn't root well.

I've tried and failed, so I thought it's true.
I've taken clones before, but none were symmetrical, maximum age of the tree that donated cuttings was about a month and a half.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@TheUltimateNoob keeping a sterile enviroment is key, keep cutting stems away from air as much as possible until rooting gel is applied.

High humidity for at the first week, then gradually reduce humidity.

Controlled temps will really help a lot and speed things along.

I like to use a plant older than 2 months, recently heard taking cuts from the bottom also increases success.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

@TheUltimateNoob, I have had fairly good success with cuttings from the newer growth.

Trick isn't in your method... But slightly before. 

An analogy is if you are in a moving car... Going downhill... And the engine straight up vanishes into thin air... Will the car stop or keep going downhill? 

It will keep going!! 

So now the same principle apples in cuttings... They do not stop transpiring for quite a while after they are cut... A good 12 hours or so before they start not sucking everything up. 

This is important to note. Because if you are cutting and putting the cut into a jiffy within an hour of cutting... You best make that jiffy as wet as possible for the next few hours, or the fresh cut stem will start pulling in air... And then it's game over. 

So what I do now is I take my cuttings... Stick em in a cup of water, and leave them over night... The more cuttings you take the more water they will suck up from the cup so make sure all the stems are well below the waterline. 

And then I proceed with normal methods... With a dome if the cuttings are in jiffies or rapid rooter

A week and a bit and you will see roots like @1000Hills Nursery

And as for the symmetry... Nothing wrong with alrernating nodes... Normally leads to decent branching and still a nice shape. 

The only way you gonna get symmetry is from a seed... And then you not sure if the pheno is gonna be good yet anyways so a symmetrical cuttings isn't actually worth anything other than visual value

• Like 3

@Dank thanks bro
@CreX thanks also... The reason I want symmetrical cuttings is to mainline them... I don't want to deal with uneven growth and then wrestle my trees to try to create an even canopy. I've always started from seed for this reason. I get what you're saying though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheUltimateNoob said:

@Dank thanks bro
@CreX thanks also... The reason I want symmetrical cuttings is to mainline them... I don't want to deal with uneven growth and then wrestle my trees to try to create an even canopy. I've always started from seed for this reason. I get what you're saying though.

Why not try a scrog? Less stress on the plant, but you end up with a perfectly flat canopy

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I took a clone on Sunday of the K-2 from Nirvana, and it was full of roots sticking out the rockwool in 4 days, and I take it the heat mat and thermostat was the reason for this.

Normally they take 7 to 14 days from previous experience, with heat mat on manually and off manually. 

As mentioned by @Dank you want to clean all tools and surfaces with alcohol and the cutting must go straight into water till you get them in the gel or rockwool, pellet or medium. 

• Like 3

Why not try a scrog? Less stress on the plant, but you end up with a perfectly flat canopy
Not such a fan honestly... And sometimes I'm not around for like 2 or 3 days.

I also like being able to take my tree out of the tent because I'm often rearranging my space since I grow in the garage.

• Agree 1