Identification of desease

Bos

Howzit gromies, 

Noticed some strange leaf colouration on this plant and upon futher investigation found some unpleasant signs. 

The plant stem seems to be rotting and there is a dark/black colour going up the stem like an infection.

Had a look on the interweb, think it's either Fusarium or Septoria- both are pretty nasty, but Fusarium is a killer. Septoria doesn't affect the stem and roots which brings me back to Fusarium as it can affect the roots, stem and leaves. Its a nasty fungus thats difficult to treat and can spread or just lie dormant in the soil. It may still be in early stages which could be why the syptoms dont add up but, I'm not taking any chances, plant has been isolated and we hope for the best.
What do you guys think, opinions are welcome.

Cheers

(All pics taken today)

20200302_123239.jpg

20200302_123214.jpg

20200302_123220.jpg

20200302_123229.jpg

20200302_123323.jpg

• Like 1

Yeh man this is a kind of stem rot/fungus, similar to what roses struggle with. Usually the infected limb gets amputated.

You could wash the infected area with h2o2 hydrogen peroxide, then treat again with applecider vinegar/vinegar/diluted alcohol, and when its dried after all that apply some Aloevera gel to the area, all this has to be done on a nice sunny day. I think honey can also be useful here.

I have never tried the above mentioned, just what I would attempt. 

This is a long shot, with roses, if its in the main stem, its adios amigos. 

Edited by Dank
I think honey can also be useful here
  • Like 1

I'm prepared to try the above mentioned@Dank. From what I've read the prognosis is pretty grim- amputate affected limbs and buds to control the spread. But as can be seen its in the main stem allready.

Would also like to try a different technique that's being used in the states.
PH swing spraydown- low ph follow by high ph.

Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Agree 1

You might be able to Stanley knife the cambuim layer. 

As long as you don't ring the cambuim all the way around it will be okay... 

And then follow with Danks good suggestions... 

I might be tempted to wrap the stem with some kind of fungi killer, like a gauze or something... Lol treat it like gangrene 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply@CreX and@Dank

The plant is allready in flower(early stages) so I am hesitant to use a systemic fungicide. Would a contact fungicide be a better option? No point in saving the plant and you can't use the buds.
Will try the mentioned remedies and research a bit more.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bospatrollie2 said:

The plant is allready in flower(early stages) so I am hesitant to use a systemic fungicide. Would a contact fungicide be a better option? No point in saving the plant and you can't use the buds.

Yah I try not ever use systemic or any serious chemicals on my weeds. :-rolled

The h2o2 and vinegar/s are the fungicides, alone vera supplies micronutrients and other goodies to the wound. It also helps to seal it.

Honey can be used effectively as a antibacterial and antifungal protection/treatment, my weapon of choice for sealing bigger branches after pruning.

Cinnamon can be used as a fungicide, but helps more as a preventative I would say. Sometimes a Honey+Cinnamon paste is all that is needed.

You  an also consider using the CopperSoap on the stem if all else fails.

I would try and keep her alive as long as possible, in her current situation I think she is going to try and finish up quickly.

Edited by Dank

Morning, went the honey and cinnamon route with this lady.

Scored the cambium vertically in the affected areas in short/shallow 2cm cuts to aid penetration. 

Applied the honey and cinnamon paste to the affected parts of the stem, then wrapped it up with a breathable material. 

Never done anything like this before so will have to see how she handles it.

Cheers

20200305_080643.jpg

20200305_080629.jpg

• Like 4

Small update... plant is still alive and flowering. The infected areas haven't gotten larger, but it looks as if she is struggling a bit. The fungus blocks the channels in the xylem effectively cutting off nutrient supply from the roots to the rest of the plant.
Will reapply and see what happens, but not expecting a bumper harvest from this one.

• Like 1