Extreme mildew solution?

MissMayhem

Hey guys, battling hectic mildew, weather in Gauteng has been very wet. Been going at it with 3 different solutions, in 5 day intervals. Milk and water 20/80 strength, around 1 tbsp bicarb to 5 litres with some oil and dish soap, and finally Jaimes neem oil, at close to double the recommended strength.  Frustration is building, it's a huge chore spraying the grow at the moment. 

So, I need the mold control equilevent of a nuke. Any sure fire way of burning this shit out of our grow?

@MissMayhem 

Judging by the severity of your PM issue I'm guessing your plants are well into flowering phase. Firstly you should immediately stop treating issue with neem oil as that stuff is vile and is going to make your buds taste bad.

I've personally used bicarb and it does keep PM at bay but requires almost daily spraying till harvest. The downside is it kills the white pistils too and gives the bud an unattractive look to it.

Post some pics and give us more info and maybe we can help you get your grow to harvest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mambawana said:

Judging by the severity of your PM issue I'm guessing your plants are well into flowering phase. Firstly you should immediately stop treating issue with neem oil as that stuff is vile and is going to make your buds taste bad

I recently harvested a GG4 that was treated with neem, had a terrible aphid problem. Used a bud wash of bicarb and lemon then plain water, honestly wasn't bad at all. But I shall head the advice of more experienced growers. The pictures aren't great, will take a couple better ones tomorrow. It's  bad though, pretty much anywhere the sun doesn't reach has mildew. This is the LSD, it was the first to show signs of infection, the rest were probably  already infected. 

Thanks in advance. 

20200224_221105.jpg

20200224_221051.jpg

• Like 1

@MissMayhem 

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I don't see you overcoming this issue. These plants are still in early flower and look as if they have bad resistances against PM. Please don't take this the wrong way or be demoralized.

As a last ditch attempt defoliate your plants quite aggressively. Remove every leaf and bud that has any signs of PM on it. Lollipop the bottoms higher then usual. And fingers crossed for some dry weather.

I've seen a product available at hydroponic.co.za that apparently can be used in flower to kill PM and other pathogens. It's expensive something like 500 for 1 litre and it comes diluted already. Maybe look more into it or maybe someone here might have used it already can advise.

• Like 1

Try go 50/50 for the milk, 20% milk is a bit low.

Neem won't help with PM. I used AQ sf and then milk & water for my pm issues and worked pretty well.
I actually mixed the two together. Both of these solutions work well.

Maybe stop with the bicarb and just try upping your milk for now.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Powedery Mildew is a bitch once you have it, it's very difficult to get rid of  completely I've never won the fight myself 100%.

Definitely don't us neem oil it will make your buds taste bad and is also apparently not good for your health. 

Peroxide, milk & bicarb all only manage the PM but does not take it away completely. I did milk during the day or lights on then peroxide at night lights off. 

I have a friend who completely got rid of his ongoing PM issue using sulfer this should probably be use before flowering not during. Screenshot_20200225-005919_Telegram.thumb.jpg.58f692cd0490f5f7738e57005fb4de25.jpg

Hydroliq is now sold by hydroponic.co.za as mentioned above its expensive but worth a try and we would all love to see what it does here I'm sure. 

I haven't tried the stuff from Jamies garden shop. 

All the best 

• Like 2

Cant be sure from the pics but it looks like your plant is very densely packed with foliage which aids in PM buildup. Densely packed foliage leads to pockets of stagnant air with higher humidity which leads to PM.

Will confirm once you have posted a full pic but it looks like you need to remove some foliage in addition to the treatments suggested above

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

@MissMayhem I agree with @420SA too much foliage is a issue, the problem with bad infestations is that removing leaves also spreads it further and to other plants.

Before removing the foliage try some of the advice mentioned above or some of what I post here to kill existing PM first.

In the few gardens I visit PM is the main problem guys need help with this season.

Growers report good success with Applecider vinegar mixed with plain water. I also recommend a clear alcohol like vodka or gin instead of the vinegar to be mixed with water as it's a bit cheaper and more readily available in the ghetto. 

Instead of spraying the solution onto the whole plant I also recommend using a soft brush, dipped in your solution to wash the leaves with.

You will notice PM turning yellow or brown, sign of success, remove those treated leaves, repeat the process, buds that are infected might not be saved.

Cinnamon is also used as a control measure for PM, but in veg, and more so when the PM first starts.

Hope this helps a bit, happy growing :-greenthumb

Edited by Dank

33 minutes ago, Dank said:

Growers report good success with Applecider vinegar mixed with plain water. I also recommend a clear alcohol like vodka or gin instead of the vinegar to be mixed with water as it's a bit cheaper and more readily available in the ghetto. 

what dilution ratio do you use for either solution? The LSD is my SO others favourite, so I'm really determined to do what I can for it. it's already spread to every plant in my garden. TBH, from the  responses and my own research, it seems petrol and a lighter would be a lot  less trouble.

2 hours ago, 420SA said:

Cant be sure from the pics but it looks like your plant is very densely packed with foliage which aids in PM buildup. Densely packed foliage leads to pockets of stagnant air with higher humidity which leads to PM.

pretty densely packed. growing mostly indica's and hybrids which were topped and LST"d. reckon I'm going to go in there and give them a big trim.

DSCN1877.JPG

DSCN1878.JPG

DSCN1879.JPG

• Like 1

also with all the rain recently, half the plants completely snapped at the main trunk, was taping shit up and putting in bamboo braces, think I put the branches too close together.

On a side note, does anyone else get an allergic reaction from working with weed? my skin starts getting itchy, then hives. goes away in a day.

• Like 1

I have had success with eleminating pm with milk. 

I agree, 20% solution is more of a maintenance level... For this I would go with a 50% like @PsyCLown mentioned... Or even more... Up to 80%.

I would do this in the evening so the milk doesn't dry out too fast. I would do this weekly, bi-weekly or as needed

I would also take @420SA advice about removing all infected leaves(before the milk spray). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mambawana said:

Probably irratation caused by the serrated edges of the leaves. Happens to my wife when she helps with defoliation. ✌

I have a reaction as well. I don't think its the leave edges. I will post a pic one day. any weed (including the buds) will give me a mild rash if it touches skin above the palm - the rash last a few hours - and itches. 

Thanks guys. will defoliate and spray with 50/50 milk, and report back with results.
Use a spreader agent or something to ensure the milk and water gets spread on the leaves and does not just bead and roll off.

I believe some use sunlight, I prefer to use a spreader agent. I think there is one sold for around R70 at the nurseries or builders warehouse.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DankFiend said:

I have a reaction as well. I don't think its the leave edges. I will post a pic one day. any weed (including the buds) will give me a mild rash if it touches skin above the palm - the rash last a few hours - and itches. 

pretty much exactly what happens to me. grass does it too, probably an allergic reaction to something in the plants.

3 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

Use a spreader agent or something to ensure the milk and water gets spread on the leaves and does not just bead and roll off.

I believe some use sunlight, I prefer to use a spreader agent. I think there is one sold for around R70 at the nurseries or builders warehouse.

Thanks man. 1 tbsp of sunlight good?  also, I read they have to be in full light when applying, they don't get much sunlight in the afternoon because of a nearby tree and building.

51 minutes ago, Dank said:

@Jedi Messiah for alchohol you can go 1:10 up to 1:4 for more serious PM problems. Avoid treating buds.

Applecider vinegar at 1:4 or 1:8, it's not super critical.

All this is good for PM on the leaves.

Good luck!

I removed a shit ton of leaves, so this will actually be plausible to do. thanks man.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Jedi Messiah said:

1 tbsp of sunlight good?  also, I read they have to be in full light when applying, they don't get much sunlight in the afternoon because of a nearby tree and building.

I have never used sunlight, although a drop or two is what I have seen being recommended. You do not want to use a lot.

Just enough to ensure the solution does not bead and roll off the leaves. Also you do NOT want to do it during full sun.

4 hours ago, SkunkPharm said:

Spray sulphur. Effecto makes Cumulus WG fungicide.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Preferably not during flower though.

I have never tried it myself, although when I researched sulfur many stated they were able to taste it on the bud and it left a residue on the bud too.

Not sure whether a bud wash would help here or not.