CFL's

Sup guys

I need urgent advice.

I have a heat/ventilation problem with my current grow cab using 250W HPS.

I have now decided to go with CFL's instead. My plan is to get about 6 or 8 30W bulbs. (not even sure if you get 30W)

Could you guys tell me where in Cape Town I can buy the bulbs, sockets and everything else needed, please? If I could buy everything at one store that would be ideal.

At the moment, my seedlings are getting light from mother nature outside in my yard. But I want to get them in the cab asap as my housemates are starting to ask too many questions and Im running out of lies to tell them hahaha!

Looking forward to hearing from y'all

Peace!

hey wallis55,

Your questions on CFL's, parts you can get at Brights or Builders Warehouse and bulbs at Eagle Lighting. You dont get 30w but you do get 23 and 25w.

My personal opinion, you will have better success with HPS than CFL (light output and penetration). You will spend more bucks on a CFL setup (parts & bulbs) than ventilation.  :-2cents

Good luck and let us know what you have decided. :-gthumb

Hi wallis

I really wouldn't suggest switching to cfl's either. You'll be downgrading to something I'm pretty sure you'll regret in the long run. As the guys say, just put all your money into ventilation.

Check out these fans at this link http://www.fans.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=77&Itemid=111 they would exhaust a cab like yours really nicely. They aren't exactly the quietest though.

I added this bad boy Wallis my DIY cabinet is in storage at the moment i did add pics of it in 1 of the topics tho i even added a big logic fan across the light blowing the heat directly to the extractor fan but after i few trials i found that i didnt need the logic fan even when switching from 400watt veg to 650watt flowering this bad boy was enough it was i think R320 at brights hardware

uploadfromtaptalk1426003399657.thumb.jpg.eb02f770ac1203f58cd052a57bab87da.jpg

I had the same extractor fan in my cab. It does the job well I agree, but the only thing that bothered me about it, was the noise. That fan hums like a mofo. I opted for a 12cm 220v axial metal pc fan, silent and strong too. Its R150 at Brights.

Thanks for all your advice dudes.

I think i'll go and buy one of those PC fans like Toby.

But now the question is...how am I gonna cut a 12cm hole in the cab??

Does it mean I have to take the cab apart? I really hope that's not the case. I totally suck at DIY!

hey wallis55, no need to dismantle. A drill and jigsaw will do the trick. Also the hole wont be 12cm exact, slighly smaller to have a good seal and maximum blowing capacity. I have learnt that the hard way.

Shout if you need any help.  :-peace

• 4 weeks later...

i need some input which size clf is better e40 or e27 ? im running 6 e27's at the moment but could be tempted to go bigger but finding strong bulbs would be a issue. and no i dont wanna go hid so dont even bother gents ima simple guy with simple needs

e40 and e27 are the bulb fittings and pretty much mean nothing in terms of bulb strength. It isn't something you should be worried about.

What you should be worried about is wattage and colour temperature. How many watts does each bulb have? Are they Daylight, cool white or warm white?