100x60x1800 diy aluminum cupboard

Zah

Hi guys, wanted to show you guys my diy aluminum grow box. Most of the materials were stuff that I have collected that have been discarded

The frame was made of aluminium pieces that are commonly used for dry walling which I got from an office park that was being renovated, I got these 5mm plastic sheets to cover the frame and enclose the box. I was restricted to using weather friendly materials since this box will be placed outside and recieve about 4 hours of direct sunlight on my balcony therefore aluminium and plastic were perfect.

The base is a piece of shutter board with 6 legs on the bottom which was the only thing I actually paid for.

Took my father in law and I about 6 hours to complete the structure which was mounted onto the wall on my balcony

eb07aa61265b058d17c88452e7084692.jpg86992deb08fdef454e91a99ea3c8e41f.jpg6ff55203229a337a2816e14a86b7b6e3.jpg7a237882c9525980316d55bdcfef0042.jpg3f44db1125625bfcc0dc3705d1829ad9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Zah said:

Hi guys, wanted to show you guys my diy aluminum grow box. Most of the materials were stuff that I have collected that have been discarded

The frame was made of aluminium pieces that are commonly used for dry walling which I got from an office park that was being renovated, I got these 5mm plastic sheets to cover the frame and enclose the box. I was restricted to using weather friendly materials since this box will be placed outside and recieve about 4 hours of direct sunlight on my balcony therefore aluminium and plastic were perfect.

The base is a piece of shutter board with 6 legs on the bottom which was the only thing I actually paid for.

Took my father in law and I about 6 hours to complete the structure which was mounted onto the wall on my balcony

eb07aa61265b058d17c88452e7084692.jpg86992deb08fdef454e91a99ea3c8e41f.jpg6ff55203229a337a2816e14a86b7b6e3.jpg7a237882c9525980316d55bdcfef0042.jpg3f44db1125625bfcc0dc3705d1829ad9.jpg

And just having them out in the open isn't possible? I really feel that you will have issues with heat. 

Also, the plastic covering... Is is completely light proof? 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, CreX said:

And just having them out in the open isn't possible? I really feel that you will have issues with heat. 

Updated thread: 

This box will be covered by 5mm plastic. 

Edited by Ill_Evan

Yeah it is light proof but as for temps I'm just hoping that it not gna be a problem but if it is I will have to install an inline fan and duct air out, here in durban temperatures have been abnormally high recently, currently in my enclosed seedling box temperatures have reached the 32 mark but so far so good plants seem okay, if an inline fan doesnt do the trick then I will have to invest in an air cooler perhaps.

Okay, keep us posted. 

I would say that you need that in line fan... If you are not bringing fresh air into the box, the plants will not get enough carbon dioxide and your yeild will be small... 

What we are trying to do is simulate the perfect outdoor environment, in a closed space. 

What you cannot skimp on are the 3 following things. 

Light - you are replacing the sun, so it has to be decent 

Air - plants breath, and consume the little carbon dioxide in small spaces

Nutrients - you need to give the plant the right food at the right stage of their lives. 

Without those three basic constructs, your grow will suffer. 

I am really just trying to guide you in a more prosperous direction. 

Peace and love

• Like 1

I've grown in a wendy before 12m2(not the whole area but the wendy was that size. I could not control the runaway temperatures in that space, even after insulating, having 4X the amount of airflow needed, and midday temps hit the upper 40's.

That tiny space is going to be much worse. 

My honest 2c from a long time DIY'er... that setup will be ok indoors, just save up for the much needed carbon filter, and you won't go mal with stressed, hermied, or dead plants. 

:-peace

Okay, keep us posted. 
I would say that you need that in line fan... If you are not bringing fresh air into the box, the plants will not get enough carbon dioxide and your yeild will be small... 
What we are trying to do is simulate the perfect outdoor environment, in a closed space. 
What you cannot skimp on are the 3 following things. 
Light - you are replacing the sun, so it has to be decent 
Air - plants breath, and consume the little carbon dioxide in small spaces
Nutrients - you need to give the plant the right food at the right stage of their lives. 
Without those three basic constructs, your grow will suffer. 
I am really just trying to guide you in a more prosperous direction. 
Peace and love
Shot for the advice brother, I think I am on the right track thus far, seedlings are about 10 days old and are looking healthy, when they get to about 14 days I will move them from fluorescent to led and into the grow box and increase the nutrient concentration(using the 2 part general hydroponics for coco), a fan will be pushing air out of the slot port on the top of the box which hopefully solves the temperature problem but I will monitor the temps and take it from there. We are entering into a cooler part of the year so that will help as well.

For lights I'm using 6 x samsung strips with 77 lm561c diodes per board with a mixture of 3000k and 4000k driven at 1050a which should give me a actual draw of 150 true watts.
d24898b3a6be76cd96dbf0e725ab5782.jpg

I've grown in a wendy before 12m2(not the whole area but the wendy was that size. I could not control the runaway temperatures in that space, even after insulating, having 4X the amount of airflow needed, and midday temps hit the upper 40's.
That tiny space is going to be much worse. 
My honest 2c from a long time DIY'er... that setup will be ok indoors, just save up for the much needed carbon filter, and you won't go mal with stressed, hermied, or dead plants. 
:-peace
The closer and closer I get to completion the more worried about temps i get, I think I will need to get the inline fan asap....

Inline fan will only be able to bring the temperate to the ambient temperature at best, which I imagine would be higher outside than inside your house.

If you have an AC inside the house, then def it should be inside.

I agree that having the cupboard inside your house will probably make it easier for you, direct sun I fear will increase temps quite a bit. Extraction fan outside may be a bit suspicious as majority of them are rather noisy.

Inline fan will only be able to bring the temperate to the ambient temperature at best, which I imagine would be higher outside than inside your house.
If you have an AC inside the house, then def it should be inside.

I agree that having the cupboard inside your house will probably make it easier for you, direct sun I fear will increase temps quite a bit. Extraction fan outside may be a bit suspicious as majority of them are rather noisy.
No way I can have it inside, will setup the space and test the temperature throughout the day hopefully I can get between the 20 to 30 mark....fingers crossed

2 hours ago, Zah said:

No way I can have it inside, will setup the space and test the temperature throughout the day hopefully I can get between the 20 to 30 mark....fingers crossed

Brother, I've checked your cupboard build and I take my hat out for your effort. I think having the cupboard on the balcony is a bad idea.

I'm an indoor durban grower and it's difficult keeping temps down inside the house leave alone the balcony. The plants are going to be stressed out in there and produce poor results. It's also going to be an eyeball opening the grow cupboard at night amongst other issues.

You better off leaving the structure of that cupboard there as a grow shelf and grow the plants in it with the sun. You could put a sun net on all the open sides to increase privacy and give the plants the greenhouse feel. I've grown many plants outdoor that the buds look indoor.

Don't be down and think we not having faith. You should try convince your wife to give you a small space inside, use bribery, blackmail, whatever... from there you can slowly start taking over till half your house is dedicated to growing:-stoned 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Brother, I've checked your cupboard build and I take my hat out for your effort. I think having the cupboard on the balcony is a bad idea.
I'm an indoor durban grower and it's difficult keeping temps down inside the house leave alone the balcony. The plants are going to be stressed out in there and produce poor results. It's also going to be an eyeball opening the grow cupboard at night amongst other issues.
You better off leaving the structure of that cupboard there as a grow shelf and grow the plants in it with the sun. You could put a sun net on all the open sides to increase privacy and give the plants the greenhouse feel. I've grown many plants outdoor that the buds look indoor.
Don't be down and think we not having faith. You should try convince your wife to give you a small space inside, use bribery, blackmail, whatever... from there you can slowly start taking over till half your house is dedicated to growing:-stoned 
Lol shot for the advice, will have to try to take it inside....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zah said:

Lol shot for the advice, will have to try to take it inside....

Plus it looks like you in the good books with her bullie, maybe he's a smoker too... You have to use whatever advantage you can. Soon you'll be growing 1 2 plants by his house too.

And when you upgrade to growing photos, don't buy seeds. Hit me with a PM. I'll hook you up with some fire cuts.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Plus it looks like you in the good books with her bullie, maybe he's a smoker too... You have to use whatever advantage you can. Soon you'll be growing 1 2 plants by his house too.
And when you upgrade to growing photos, don't buy seeds. Hit me with a PM. I'll hook you up with some fire cuts.
Shot for the offer brother, will definitely take you up on it

• 1 month later...
Howzit Zah, 
And... Dying to see how things worked out
Leka leka brother, things are going beautifully in my opinion lol (I have zero grow experience) thankfully my building is in between two bigger buildings so my balcony only receives direct sunlight between 8am snd 12:30 which worked out perfectly since I'm using an 18/6 cycle for my autos, temps have gone up to a max of 31 degrees without any visible damage to the plant so I was thankful for that.

I ran 2 strains, big bud and white widow from bulk seed bank and they havent given me much issues to be honest

I will be starting a flush on the white widow starting from this sunday since I'm using the recommended 7 week flowering time.

The big bud is in 7 day of flower today and she seems like she will be putting on quite the show in near future

I ordered a 60x mini microscope which came in a nick of time before the lock down so I was able to get some shots of the trichomes(white widow) which seem like they are still clear and need more time, I am going for mostly cloudy with a few amber, maybe around 10% amber

The grow cabinet is light and water proof and doesnt retain much heat as well

I have 145 odd true watts from those Samsung strips running at 1050a and I'm not sure what this yield is going to be but fingers crossed....2b970be0634f78b7d7dd2609a563f862.jpg91388b06fd2ec7247d21117663e1d013.jpg6eadb1d43848d4b9ff27be868355d6e8.jpgab8f55a65835a87a7173021c1501efa5.jpg57eb96ed2ce3f6a922d6fc6d5479bf11.jpg9b4c3df2bca935074e55a4d08f3eb08c.jpg07e43c6d2d4fddfe8c3e00e1be9576b6.jpg

• Like 2