HLG 550 vs Going DIY

420SA

Could you maybe list every component that your build consists or maybe a link to a thread that does?
I need to try and get a better understanding of the components and what they cost individually. As mentioned I know very little about LED's so when you guys start talking QB76464 and LM76587 diodes I haven't the faintest clue what you're on about 
Basically what I know right now is that you need a driver, lights and heatsink
Are meiju reputed? 
What happens if a diode or two goes, what kinda replacement costs are we looking at?

So an LED build generally consists of the LED's (in this case, strips or quantum boards.... I vote quantum boards), heatsinks / cooling and a driver.
Then wires to wire it all up and that's really it.

When it comes to LED's, they're not all the same. The actual LED diode itself makes all the difference.

In terms of costs if a diodes die, pretty cheap. You'll probably pay more on shipping.
I haven't actually tried to source the individual diodes locally but I'm sure one could get then without too much fuss.
In terms of replacing the actual diode, if you can solder and you're comfortable with SMD then it won't be difficult at all.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 420SA said:

Could you maybe list every component that your build consists or maybe a link to a thread that does?

I need to try and get a better understanding of the components and what they cost individually. As mentioned I know very little about LED's so when you guys start talking QB76464 and LM76587 diodes I haven't the faintest clue what you're on about 😂

Basically what I know right now is that you need a driver, lights and heatsink

Are meiju reputed? 

What happens if a diode or two goes, what kinda replacement costs are we looking at?

Here are some very good guides which provide theory and such : https://ledgardener.com/diy-guides/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PsyCLown said:

In terms of replacing the actual diode, if you can solder and you're comfortable with SMD then it won't be difficult at all.

I don't know hey.... 

I like to think of myself as a pretty good solder, but those solder points are just so fine, you would need a pretty fancy iron and a very pointy tip. 

And the way the boards are designed makes it hard for single diodes to go... Diodes are pretty specific and if they work once, chances are that they will work the remainder of their lifespan without issue...even longer if you don't run them at max the whole time. 

I am actually trying to think of someone who has had a few diodes go... And I really cant think of anyone. 

There is no chance you will fix the SMD on the quantum boards with a a plane old soldering iron lol. Go and buy a practice SMD board you will see how difficult and painful it is.

Oh yeah, not with those shitty R99 irons.

Preferably a reflow and soldering workstation.

I also don't think it's likely a diode or two will die, but it's always possible.

17 hours ago, 420SA said:

Have not fully considered other options so more than willing to consider other brands, provided they have a good backing.

I think a look at atreumlighting.com is well worth it. I have 4 ARA-20 strips and they great I can only imagine what 6 ara-40's on a 600w driver will do. 

Also have a look at the review from MIGROW https://youtu.be/q20WS9qtL00

Edited by Dr. Green

17 hours ago, greenkush said:

There is no chance you will fix the SMD on the quantum boards with a a plane old soldering iron lol. Go and buy a practice SMD board you will see how difficult and painful it is.

Yes, we swap out the whole board when something goes wrong

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely recommend the led strip builds. https://ledgardener.com/diy-led-strip-build-designs-samsung-bridgelux/

Meanwell also have cheaper drivers now with the elg range.

If you go with digikey, shipping is free from the states. 

I also watched growmou5's videos on YouTube for like 6 months over and over before I settled on going with leds.

Definitely recommend the led strip builds. https://ledgardener.com/diy-led-strip-build-designs-samsung-bridgelux/
Meanwell also have cheaper drivers now with the elg range.
If you go with digikey, shipping is free from the states. 
I also watched growmou5's videos on YouTube for like 6 months over and over before I settled on going with leds.
Keep in mind that you still pay for customs.

I personally prefer QB's over strips, but both can work great. It comes down to the LED's and the way you layout the lights.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/20/2020 at 9:38 AM, greenkush said:

@PsyCLown

IMG-0717.thumb.jpg.92eaa387a93a4858936a8b3e00cb97ba.jpgThese boards are the LM301B spec didoes and the previous are LM 561 C . I will be looking at upgrading my LM 561 C boards to LM 301B/H when funds and time permits. The nice thing with these types of boards (I am more specifically referring to samsung diodes) is that you can run them cooler and softer and still get amazing results due to their efficiency per watt. You've got to stop thinking in terms of wattage and just because you have 10,000 watts you're better off, because that is nowhere near the case, it boils down as to how effective your fixture is at converting watts to usable light and that is where the umol/J factor comes in, a standard HPS is 1.4-1.8 umol/J, HLG 550 v2 Rspec is 2.6 umol/J. So immediately you can see that the HLG will outperform the HPS.  The only draw back of LED is it does not have the same canopy penetration as HPS, but if you scrogg or whatever you'll be fine, even so you will still get huge colas if you don't scrogg.

Greetings.

I made this account specifically to ask you this, lol. 

Could I maybe message you to find out how you went about ordering these and getting them to SA? Also just a few other questions about the process. I've been wrecking my mind on getting these kits for a few months now and can't seem to decide. 

Greetings.
I made this account specifically to ask you this, lol. 
Could I maybe message you to find out how you went about ordering these and getting them to SA? Also just a few other questions about the process. I've been wrecking my mind on getting these kits for a few months now and can't seem to decide. 
Greenkush isn't very active on the forums anymore, you're welcome to drop me a PM or reply here and I can try assist where possible.

• Like 1

So I ran into a similar problem. I didnt make this myself. (Labourers doing the actual work) but this is my version of the covid19 emergency light at 3000k with decent light spectrum.

I have successfully vegged under first version and its in some grow diary here. Not too sure.

But I now have adjusted some things to get what I want from them and they are locally manufactured with warranty locally. 

No stress about diode going and postage.

Are they are efficient as Samsung 301H/B diodes. Plain answer is no.

Do they hold candle to something else Absolutely.

561c was rated at 187l/w and I grow under that panel of Greenkush and I get amazing results. So I will be basing my result of this light test to the 561. 

This is my answer to mad exchange rates and over inflated prices locally.20200428_131256.thumb.jpg.0f39e810875e05d9f9dca8dee3017691.jpgIMG-20200428-WA0007.thumb.jpeg.e0de587e586d34a2d5b68b77abd00d5f.jpegIMG-20200428-WA0009.thumb.jpeg.25c71be29473aef7396dbadedc545fd5.jpeg