Master_G

Automated Watering

So since I started my 2 tree, CFL grow a while back... I have been demotivated on various occasions in regards to the health of my plants due to watering problems.

Maybe i haven't seen a post on watering but I'd like to know which watering method (non hand watering) would be the preferred COST EFFECTIVE method.

Anyone with tons of cash can buy a 30k watering system but for us normal home growers. What would work best.

I scrog.. have to. Small tents function best in scrog imho. (Debate for another topic)

I consists out of 4 tents and the all would need differe t notes as 1 is veg and the other 3 scatter for perpetual flowering. 

So... with all of this in mind here is what I'm looking at: 

Blumat tropf

Autopot

Autopot smartpots

Floraflex

Drip home made irrigation:

Edited by Master_G

DIY drip irrigation is probably going to be the cheapest, just need to make sure it is tuned in correctly. I installed a drip irrigation today and connected blumat sensors to it. All the piping, fittings, drippers, etc (everything except reservoir and sensors) cost less than R200.

• Agree 1

DIY drip irrigation will be cheapest.

As you know, draw backs are possible leaks, most DIY drip systems seem to leak unfortunately.

A mid range electric fountain pump, timer, reservoir, 15mm pipe, 5mm pipe, 3mm pipe, connectors for 5mm pipe to 15mm pipe, arrow head drippers. 3-4 drippers per plant depending on the size of your pots.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Master_G said:

So since I started my 2 tree, CFL grow a while back... I have been demotivated on various occasions in regards to the health of my plants due to watering problems.

Maybe i haven't seen a post on watering but I'd like to know which watering method (non hand watering) would be the preferred COST EFFECTIVE method.

Anyone with tons of cash can buy a 30k watering system but for us normal home growers. What would work best.

I scrog.. have to. Small tents function best in scrog imho. (Debate for another topic)

I consists out of 4 tents and the all would need differe t notes as 1 is veg and the other 3 scatter for perpetual flowering. 

So... with all of this in mind here is what I'm looking at: 

Blumat tropf

Autopot

Autopot smartpots

Floraflex

Drip home made irrigation:

If I grew in a tent I would go with a flood and drain, but that's me.

I really want to build an irrigation system for my flower room. I don't think I would trust those cheap dripper kits that has those barbs that you press into irrigation pipe on its own. If you can get a manifold from floraflex(or similar) to replace the barbs style, then that's the way to make sure all your plants are always fed evenly. 

NB. Do you know if floraflex or agents even deliver to sa? 

I have made various irrigation systems with the barb type connections i am actually using it atm. I agree they do sometimes leak. I have seen a manifold similar to the floraflex from hydrobiz. If you want to spend R200 a pop on them then go for it. I find that if you struggle with even watering then just add another dripper. If you are in Cape Town area check out spilhaus in Stikland. They are an agricultural irrigation supplier at half the price than your regular hydro store.

• Like 1

In my situation leaks are not going to be an issue. The amount of water each plant gets is of more concern. 

@SkunkPharm the manifold from hydrobiz that you mentioned, how many outputs does it have.

In my situation leaks are not going to be an issue. The amount of water each plant gets is of more concern. 
@SkunkPharm the manifold from hydrobiz that you mentioned, how many outputs does it have.

It has 8.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Mambawana said:

If I grew in a tent I would go with a flood and drain, but that's me.

I really want to build an irrigation system for my flower room. I don't think I would trust those cheap dripper kits that has those barbs that you press into irrigation pipe on its own. If you can get a manifold from floraflex(or similar) to replace the barbs style, then that's the way to make sure all your plants are always fed evenly. 

NB. Do you know if floraflex or agents even deliver to sa? 

floraflex is widely available all over SA already, has been for over a year already.

6 hours ago, Mambawana said:

You are using Coco though? I believe even when fully saturated the coco still has enough air for cannabis though so you cannot drown your plants in coco.

So water a bit more then?

I think ultimately having pressure regulated valves would be ideal if you want to ensure they're getting fed evenly. 

The Blumat system bypasses a lot of this as it starts to water as the medium start to dry out, so the plants only get water when needed.

Easy to adjust per carrot too, no leaks either.

• Like 1

so if you using organic nutes, drippers and auto pots can run into problems, so make sure you keep in mind that you will still need to regularly check the drippers or run water through the auto pot system to make sure it doesn't clog up. And yes, irrigation systems using ordinary garden gear is going to leak. I suggest using silicon at the points pressed into the irrigation pipe that the smaller dripper lines connect to or where you have noticed leaks (remember to do it when the system is dry and leave for 24 hours before running water through it).  

11 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

You are using Coco though? I believe even when fully saturated the coco still has enough air for cannabis though so you cannot drown your plants in coco.

So water a bit more then?

I think ultimately having pressure regulated valves would be ideal if you want to ensure they're getting fed evenly. 

The Blumat system bypasses a lot of this as it starts to water as the medium start to dry out, so the plants only get water when needed.

Easy to adjust per carrot too, no leaks either.

Not at all concerned about drowning my roots, the opposite infact. 

I want to automate my feeding while maintaining the same amount of level change in my reservoir like when feeding with a wand so that everything gets fed once in a 24hrs cycle before reservoir is empty.

15 hours ago, greenkush said:

floraflex is widely available all over SA already, has been for over a year already.

Sorry I wasn't specific, I was actually referring to their nutrient range

5 hours ago, Mambawana said:

Sorry I wasn't specific, I was actually referring to their nutrient range

As far as I recall when I asked the agent last year he had no intention of bringing it in. However the Canna range is in the process or near registration completion those are pretty great nutrients from what I’ve seen.

14 hours ago, greenkush said:

As far as I recall when I asked the agent last year he had no intention of bringing it in. However the Canna range is in the process or near registration completion those are pretty great nutrients from what I’ve seen.

Agree on the quality of canna. Lots of good reviews from reliable sources. The prices gonna be stiff.