Balcony Garden

Gnarls

20 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

Nice man! Looking good, what about some fruit plants or veggies?

Do you have a garden to grow in or are you limited to pots?

Thank you very much. 

I live on the top floor in a flat. The balcony is all I have so I'm limited to containers. Growing stuff in preparation for some autos later this year.

It seems like you read my mind as I've just popped some tomatoes. Used the spray and pray method and two seeds sprouted. I'm going to try to do some lst and I'm going to replant into a bigger pot after they're strong enough. Moved her to teh window sill with my cactus, Baby Yoda. I have also planted Bush beans but still waiting on those. 

I'm currently using Red Tractor potting and veg soil and also Nitrosol: Organiksol which I feed at half strength every second watering. 

Cheers

Tomatoes.jpeg

Baby Yoda.jpeg

Very nice!

I assume your balcony gets a lot of direct sunlight? Cannabis will love the direct sunlight, the more direct sunlight it can give the better she will respond.

Also I would not recommend the soil you are using for cannabis, lots of bark in there and many tend to have issues with similar soils which contain a high amount of bark. I would recommend that you get some soil which has been tried and tested when you finally get around to growing an auto.

Freedom Farms and Organics Matter are both decent soils to use for cannabis. Nitrisol should suffice for veg, as well as Seagro. When it comes to flowering (so around week 4 roughly), then you would want to get a nutrient specifically for flowering. BioBizz Bloom is a decent one, easy to use too and you will then be using the bloom / flowering nutrients until you flush your plant. I'd also recommend a 20L pot, even for an autoflower.

So just a few things to start looking for and keep in the back of your mind.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

Very nice!

I assume your balcony gets a lot of direct sunlight? Cannabis will love the direct sunlight, the more direct sunlight it can give the better she will respond.

Also I would not recommend the soil you are using for cannabis, lots of bark in there and many tend to have issues with similar soils which contain a high amount of bark. I would recommend that you get some soil which has been tried and tested when you finally get around to growing an auto.

Freedom Farms and Organics Matter are both decent soils to use for cannabis. Nitrisol should suffice for veg, as well as Seagro. When it comes to flowering (so around week 4 roughly), then you would want to get a nutrient specifically for flowering. BioBizz Bloom is a decent one, easy to use too and you will then be using the bloom / flowering nutrients until you flush your plant. I'd also recommend a 20L pot, even for an autoflower.

So just a few things to start looking for and keep in the back of your mind.

Yep. Lots of afternoon sun. 

I was such a noob. Only after I used the soil did I see that it could have used some perlite. I have looked into Freedom Farms soils and the Bio Bizz range. It's the reason I want to grow outdoors first - get it dialed in and then move indoors.. The big question for me is whether to go soil or soil-less via coco coir? EC meters are kind of expensive and right now I think I need a ph meter more. 

Thanks for the pot size recommendation, will look into Freedom Pots.

Cheers

So a PH pen is vital, especially if you are going the coco or hydro route. Do not get a cheap meter, I recommend at least getting an HM Digital PH pen and they are around R700 +

An EC pen is cheaper and I find the cheap chinese ones are accurate enough.

If you want to go the coco route, well, coco is cheaper if purchased in large bricks and then I don't recommend you use BioBizz nutes.

I'd recommend non-organic, salt based nutes... of which there are lots of. Hortimix, Haifa, GHE, Greenhouse Powder Feeds and many more.

An alternative to the Freedom Pots are the Plant Matter pots - I prefer them over the Freedom pots. The way they are sewn and the quality of the material just seems better and easier to work with. If you can't get Plant Matter pots then Freedom pots are still great!

On 1/16/2020 at 4:42 PM, PsyCLown said:

So a PH pen is vital, especially if you are going the coco or hydro route. Do not get a cheap meter, I recommend at least getting an HM Digital PH pen and they are around R700 +

An EC pen is cheaper and I find the cheap chinese ones are accurate enough.

If you want to go the coco route, well, coco is cheaper if purchased in large bricks and then I don't recommend you use BioBizz nutes.

I'd recommend non-organic, salt based nutes... of which there are lots of. Hortimix, Haifa, GHE, Greenhouse Powder Feeds and many more.

An alternative to the Freedom Pots are the Plant Matter pots - I prefer them over the Freedom pots. The way they are sewn and the quality of the material just seems better and easier to work with. If you can't get Plant Matter pots then Freedom pots are still great!

Thanks for the advice will look into getting a ph pen asap. I think I'm going to go with soil-less. Going to look into Freedom Farms soil-less mixture and also the GHE FloraCoco range. Thanks for all the help mate. Here is an update on the tomatoes.  

Tomatoes_update.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Lekker garden with a lovely view. Its your legal right to grow cannabis in your balcony. Give your wife an ultimatum :

"Following the Western Cape High Court Judgement handed down in March 2017 and the Constitutional Court validation of that ruling in September 2018, Cannabis has been decriminalised in South Africa. This is however not the same as legalisation, as the trade and sale of the plant remains illegal.".

This means cultivation, possession and use in your home is legal for your private use. Have a meeting with her, start negotiating for 5 plants and 10 seedlings. It worked for me in the past. Good luck.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Update time. My tomatoes. As you can see they're blooming. They were my test subjects for my auto run. Feeding all Biobizz nutes.

71ed3526ea5266b75116ca94667b90cf.jpg

My succulents. They have grown a lot. Need advice as to whether I should repot them.

6af447f7f5e94f66ca84bebaa90cafaf.jpg

My big leave Spekkie. Had a fight with caterpillars and aphids but Bioneem and Pyrol solved that.

96ebf2a8d6960006d8f98893926067ca.jpg

My Lavender - severely underfed here in the beginning. 

04309c7826d7140cd3ed110f60fa640f.jpg

The brown flowers are growing again and I messed up with the chillis. Too cold I think.

Edited by Gnarls
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...