Compost sources

I get compost from my local nursery. I live out of town. It's a brand called RED tractor and it's somewhere in Joostenbergvlakte area. I used to get from from the guy opposite the Joostenbergvlakte nursery. He charged me R30 for a 30L of compost. Really good quality and it's made on their premises. 

Usually I make my own...

Went down to the local nursery and picked up a bag of Landscapers Choice Compost, no bark or wood chips and checking all the boxes!

How does one store compost to ensure the microbial biology stays in tact for usage in AACT?

https://owngrownshop.co.za/shop/landscapers-choice-compost-60dm3/

Edited by YourStonedBuddy

17 hours ago, Smelly Joe said:

My bag was beautiful decomposed material. A stick here and there but pure black gold. 

I've read that mushroom compost doesn't have as much nutrient value as compost. 

Pure black sounds amazing! Lol I can almost smell it from here!! 

Luckily, you aren't aiming for any quantity of nutes in the Teas, if it was for a soil mix, then sure, but for teas, you don't need to make sure that the compost has nutes... As long as it smells right, it will work

16 hours ago, YourStonedBuddy said:

Went down to the local nursery and picked up a bag of Landscapers Choice Compost, no bark or wood chips and checking all the boxes!

How does one store compost to ensure the microbial biology stays in tact for usage in AACT?

https://owngrownshop.co.za/shop/landscapers-choice-compost-60dm3/

The only thing you need to worry about is it getting dry... Keeping the compost moist would be the only concern really... That and minor air exchange, so I wouldn't put it in a sealed storage container unless you open it at least once a week. 

Other than that, you're good to go! 

On 1/12/2020 at 9:01 AM, YourStonedBuddy said:

Hello!

Looking for a good source of compost for my AACTs. Im in the Cape, can anyone recommend ?

Open to other suggestions too

Ideally you wanna get vermicompost... Jamies Garden Shop used to sell it, not sure if he does still....

Then there is this place http://www.wurmbosch.co.za/getmodule.php?id=listitems.php Im sure you'll be able to collect 

On 1/12/2020 at 10:35 AM, YourStonedBuddy said:

Would mushroom compost work the same?

Im sure the doublegrow bags would be good for your AACT's. You could used both EWC and mushroom compost. The more beneficial bacteria and fungi the better 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Compost heap! 😊 All you do is dump all your green waste (lawn cutting, drop leaf, what ever organic material) and kitchen waste on a more shady spot in your garden. Rest the micro organisms will do and you end up with very good black soil. Is a bit to fine to use directly, might suffocate your young roots, mix it with Perlite and you have already a awesome medium to plant. Perlite costs a little, the soil is free..

Cycle is about 6 months.. what ever you drop on top, comes out as soil further down around 6 months later. Needs to kept moist to work. 

compost heap.jpg

compost result.jpg

• Like 2