DP in a pipe...

1000Hills Nursery

Question

Sup Guys.

1 thing I know is how to grow weed.

But I know nothing related beyond that. Other guys from other places in SA and their cannabis journey. I know more about the crazy Americans. We are all of different upbringings and do things a little different...

I grew up smoking a DP in a pipe, that instant headrush that got you instantly high. Smoking weed was cheaper then smoking cigarettes. How things have changed!

I have no knowledge how guys from out of durban smoked or even what they smoked. How's about sharing just a little of your cannabis roots?

• Like 2

18 answers to this question

32 minutes ago, Mambawana said:

Sup Guys.

1 thing I know is how to grow weed.

But I know nothing related beyond that. Other guys from other places in SA and their cannabis journey. I know more about the crazy Americans. We are all of different upbringings and do things a little different...

I grew up smoking a DP in a pipe, that instant headrush that got you instantly high. Smoking weed was cheaper then smoking cigarettes. How things have changed!

I have no knowledge how guys from out of durban smoked or even what they smoked. How's about sharing just a little of your cannabis roots?

Grew up in Gauteng, but smoking maritzburg slugs (sweet baby heads wrapped in brown paper) - we called them sticks. 4 to 5 sticks made a decent (although small) joint. when I was in high school in 90s it cost R10 for 20 sticks (referred to as a roll). We also smoked chilumps (sp?) which were small clay pipe like things (used to hold incense). We would also get Malawi cobs and compressed swazi from time to time. You could also buy other shit bag weed, pokes and matchboxes - but I didn't (until I started smoking buttons)

Edited by DankFiend
  • Like 1

I have lived in Durban my whole life, of which I have spent 17 years supplementing my diet with vitamin green.

@Mambawana

I have tried many different "DP's", but I reckon it is all bullshit. It was a quality landrace back in the day, but now every guy from the street corner to train station sells a DP slope.

Dont get me wrong, if a true DP does exist I would love to try it. It is the strain that put SA on the cannabis map. Even better it came from KZN. Gives me a strange sense of pride even though it was before my time and I had nothing to do with it.

Regardless, it is time SA stamps a firm foot print on the cannabis market. And I'm not talking about shipping all our quality product over seas.

@DankFiend 

Cool names.:-rastapuff

Here we called it slupes. And we had litres. And was mostly decent DP available. Which was honestly good weed for a teenager. The quality changed once the market got flooded with okay swazi and some other crosses. Dealers started distributing that cos it was cheaper then the dp from our local farmers. It was stoner weed but totally different high. And that's where my journey with DP ended, I know I am one of many here that would love a dp cut.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mambawana said:

@DankFiend 

Here we called it slupes. And we had litres. And was mostly decent DP available. Which was honestly good weed for a teenager. The quality changed once the market got flooded with okay swazi and some other crosses. Dealers started distributing that cos it was cheaper then the dp from our local farmers. It was stoner weed but totally different high. And that's where my journey with DP ended, I know I am one of many here that would love a dp cut.

Must be before my time..

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bakstein420 said:

I have lived in Durban my whole life, of which I have spent 17 years supplementing my diet with vitamin green.

@Mambawana

I have tried many different "DP's", but I reckon it is all bullshit. It was a quality landrace back in the day, but now every guy from the street corner to train station sells a DP slope.

Dont get me wrong, if a true DP does exist I would love to try it. It is the strain that put SA on the cannabis map. Even better it came from KZN. Gives me a strange sense of pride even though it was before my time and I had nothing to do with it.

Regardless, it is time SA stamps a firm foot print on the cannabis market. And I'm not talking about shipping all our quality product over seas.

I hear bru. And I've experienced exactly what you talking about. It was a kak cross weed that they were claiming was a dp. It wasn't. 

I was lucky when I first started smoking. I was a youngster that hung with some old hippies. These guys were getting original DP for years. I knew nothing about weed and strains. But I learnt from them the utter smoothness of a DP in a pipe. Then the high of the DP was also another way to know you smoked a DP. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mambawana said:

@DankFiend 

I remember litres as well - they were big sticks :). slupes were different, I think. also in brown paper but you could make more than a joint from one.... sticks were smaller and thiner - literally looked like a bundle of sticks. the sticks from martizburg were generally tucked in at both ends, and the sticks from Durban were tucked in at one end and was twisted at the other end (or at least that's the impression I got). nice 'nostalgia' thread bru!

• Like 2

Shiiiit!! I grew up as a staunch Jehovahs witness, and never got up to any mischief as a youngster... Until I got kicked out for liking girls tooooo much if you know what I mean😂😂😂

So I started ice hockey in Durban and became friends with some youngsters and they introduced me to weed... 

LOL but it wasn't weed really, it was gram bags, filled with crushed leaves hahaha, but for only R2, I kept buying. 

Then I started smoking more and found out about bud and found a place to start buying that, it was harder to find but not really... And the weed was still bottom of the barrel jut... But I kept smoking coz it made me feel good. Bought the red riz papers... Thinking now this is the life. 

Then I moved to Jozi in 2012, and my weed life changed forever! Every dealer had way way way better weed than I ever bought in Durban... To the point where i found some indoor dealers, and my life changed again... 

In a short space of time I was introduced to a cheese that was so cheesy that it put actual cheese to shame... The smell... The taste... The after flavour... The high... It was nuts!!! 

Then they ran out of that... And brought in Blueberry weed.... Guys... My fuck.... Never since have I tasted the most delectable amazing delicious perfect weed.... Blueberry hit you in the face... BLUEBERRY MOTHER FUCKERS!!! The smell... Blueberry... Taste... Blueberry... Smoke smell,.... Blueberry... Taste in your mouth? Blueberry... It was like you went and ate a fat blueberry muffin at mugg&bean. 

And that was that... I couldn't afford more of this amazing weed... So I decided to start growing... 

I bought an HPS light and some seagrow... And started my journey to now haha 

Iv been growing for almost 8 years now, trial and error, new grow gear when I can afford it 

Loving the grow life! And I have learned SO much from just learning how to grow better and deal with problems and issues in the garden. 

And I feel like I have still barely touched the surface. 

• Like 2

Now you trippin down memory lane...

First bankies at the taxi rank with mates, it was shit. Basically majat with more sticks,seeds and leaves than bud...but it did the job hahaha.
Then I had the privilege of spending 2jrs in the UK and boy did that change things.
Smoked more hash/hashish, as true bud was scarce and expensive. We smoked it every way imaginable. Stone Chillums, bongs, hot knives, Japanese fountains, fruit pipes...it was epic.

Back in SA been growing on and off, until 2yrs ago. Bought a bankie from the local Bgf - I wasn't impressed.
This awesome plant could be elevated to a new level if grown right, so I said eff this.
I will grow, dry and cure it right and smoke my own - haven't bought any weed since.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Indoor weed... never heard of it... somewhere along the way the word hydro was been thrown around. Didn't know what it was but was told it was super powerful weed grown in small labs using chemicals.

I lived right next to a jondols, that brought the access to many many dealers. Had choices, and for the most part could get decent outdoor i.e. more buds then mad leaves, seeds, stems and blackheads(small immature seeds). 

My friends and I had built a tree house in the bush where we could hang out, smoke and play cards. So making a skyfe in the bush and throwing seeds on the floor led to some plants sprouting. Knew nothing about growing weed or gender of weed. The 1st plant that started growing buds we chopped down as soon as it started flowering, dried it in the sun and smoked it. Couldn't really blame us cos cellphones hadn't hit the market nor did any of us know about the internet. 

Fast forward a couple years and suddenly information was available online. Went to internet cafe's and started learning about indoor and different strains. White Widow was what everyone online were talking about. Up to this stage I hadn't even seen indoor weed. All I knew was I could buy seeds from a place known as Nirvana. So made a plan, saved my allowances and bought a 5 pack of bubblicious & got 10 free seeds... yes 10. Soil from my grandfather's compost patch and I was in the game. Planted a few of the seeds and killed them very quickly. His soil was probably too hot thinking back. Eventually I had to come up with a plan cos it was going to be difficult to hide any plants I tried growing. So I went back into the bush, deep inside and planted all the remaining seeds. It was the summer of 1999. Mother nature nurtured those gals, I got rid of the males mistakely a little late which became a blessing because when I harvested I was rewarded with some seeds for the next grow. The smell of the weed made me feel like I was on top of the world. Smelt like pink bubblegum. The taste, the high was not something I was ready for. I was totally blown away.

Growing changed for me when I moved out my parents house and rented my own little apartment. That's another story for another day...

• Like 2

Arie Guys,

Grew up in Joburg, Bruma area near the old flea market, it was zol capital of joburg lol.

Interesting to see how weed has changed,  we all started on good old majat in match boxes ( Smelt like arm Pits) , lol progressed to bank bags depending on quality from R50-R70 a full bankie, light green pollenhash R20 a gram, siff chocolate hash we used to carry around golf balls.

there was a few occasions we got real Malawi gold and Rooibaard 15 years ago, I have never seen rooibaart again, I remember a ruler sized head that was almost completely red/orange hairs, I  took it on a camping trip, all my buddies remember hahah around the fire, this couple nearby our spot came over to enquire about the delicious smells, so we offered ,they each had a few pulls and choked on it, that couple were in a coma the next day haha, the guy came to thank us later the next day, he said it was some of the best he ever smoked.

Most of the good stuff for us was from Swaziland, till this day I have not seem any of the good swazi we used to get, it was def better than the majority of outdoors we get, light green luminous heads that stink of chronic, or the coffee aroma of Malawi gold when grinded up, man I miss those days...... :( , sad one day those landraces will all be wiped out with all these new genetics available, the higher up in Swaziland the better the bud.

Indoor was easily acquirable since I was a teen, back in the day it was white widow, Chronic and northern lights, could get a bankie 8-10 grams for R400, we would put all our money together to buy at least once a month.

Have bought parcels in Rural KZN wrapped in news paper, heads size of rulers no seeds, about R300 for like half a KG, not the strongest but nice beautiful bud.

Lived in en route for a few years, got to know cheese very quickly, had many rasta friends  n Judah Square Kynsna ( Rasta village in heart of township). always struggled to get half decent outdoor there, most stuff from port st johns was close to jut, some of the strongest indoors I have smoked is from the cape.

Fast forward many years back in Joburg, I feel price of zol is plain ridiculous now, R150 -R200 a gram of indoor which is not even stronger that the stuff back in the day, get half decent hybridized swazi still.

With the decriminalization , I planted a few bag seeds got awesome results last year did 3 harvests, learnt a lot.

Now I got 3 dinafem  whitecheese (outdoor) prob a month away from harvest :) , time to get more seeds haha.

Best regards to all!

• Like 3

I could never afford indoor... only on a special occasion would I spoil myself with a few grams... nowadays I make big bats laced with a thick layer of dry sift and smoke till I'm stoned to the bone... cheers to never supporting the overpriced dealers again... and cheers to hunting the new flavours... just look at the beauty that legalisation has brought... imagine giving a bouquet of these flowers for Valentine's...

IMG_20200103_100341.jpg

• Like 1

Wow you guys took me back now....late 80's early 90's. I grew up in the freestate, mostly got the leaf/seeds and sticks in a finger, magazine paper rolled up and weed stuffed inside. Then we started getting rooibaard, TK, Swazi cobs, DP mostly R20-50 a bankie or cob ( still have seeds that I can't seem to germinate... Any advise?) . Climbing koppies and smoke with nobody around, fishing.......those were the days hey. Then the Hydroponic, Shunk and those came along mid 90's and super expensive....
Im also think we must get the old land races going again! Lots of theories regarding consuming nature in the country you born in, much better for you.
Sooo any help with germinating old seeds will be appreciated, any labs guys around? My resent Alien Tatentula harvest.
1d598e983449c55e671844ac73ded96f.jpg

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

• Like 2