D.I.Y grow cupboard

Mr_Nice_Guy

Waddup good people

Check out my steel cupboard, I've mostly used it for seed starting and I'm having a go with some clones now. (Clones are looking lank weird though)🙈

I still need to cut a hole in the side or top for extraction, so I just keep the doors slightly open at the moment.

Pics 1&2 before I cleaned,sterilized,painted

So I'm using a "burn blanket" to contain the light inside. It doesn't get hot at all as I've got some cheapy china town plant leds and a PC fan for some wind. 

The grow cupboard worked out pretty well, I'll do a grow report and show you guys how my 1st plant looks.

Peace

20191021_173634.jpg

20191021_173614.jpg

20191021_184620.jpg

20191022_162428.jpg

20191022_162410.jpg

20191022_162621.jpg

20191024_213409.jpg

20191022_162550.jpg

20191024_213456.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ill_Evan said:

Why not use the full height of the cupboard from the get go?

I feel that my cheapy leds are'nt sufficient enough to place at the bottom half of the cupboard and support the growth of the plants. 

So I kept the shelf in there so that the plants could be closer to the leds.

I also mainly grow outdoors so the cupboard was meant for clones and seed starting.

• Thanks 1

@Mr_Nice_Guy 

Buddy I'm off the opinion that with a little more work you can turn that into a perfectly fine grow cupboard and take atleast 2 plants seed to harvest. It needs a hole for passive intake maybe bottom left.  It needs an active exhaust i.e. the same pc fan you have, somewhere on the top back maybe. Make both holes the size of the inside of the fan. Bottom hole put some sort of small cover on the outside that blocks light from the top & sides and sucks air from the bottom. Some sort of net by the hole as a filter to stop small critters

To seal light leaks is extremely easy. Buy the black foam type weather seal strip. Checkers, pick n pay all sell it.

So squeeze yourself inside and get someone to close it. Then just stick it on the inside where you see the light by the hinges etc and on the door side too so both touch when doors are closed. Mount 2 hooks to the roof for a light to hang from.

You can be quiet imaginative with the bottom e.g. auto draining tray, makes watering the plants a happy task every single time.

Use the light you have for now for propagation and just upgrade it to something a little better when you can. Aircon places sell a cheap insulation foam board that's reflective that would really beneficial to avoid condensation. You can do that later on too. You will be amazed how once your cupboard is running how you start looking for little upgrades everytime you take the wife/gf shopping.

Anyway my opinion is based on personal experience and your cupboard is alot more larnee then in what I started. And please the most important thing is use decent genetics.

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Mambawana said:

@Mr_Nice_Guy 

Buddy I'm off the opinion that with a little more work you can turn that into a perfectly fine grow cupboard and take atleast 2 plants seed to harvest. It needs a hole for passive intake maybe bottom left.  It needs an active exhaust i.e. the same pc fan you have, somewhere on the top back maybe. Make both holes the size of the inside of the fan. Bottom hole put some sort of small cover on the outside that blocks light from the top & sides and sucks air from the bottom. Some sort of net by the hole as a filter to stop small critters

To seal light leaks is extremely easy. Buy the black foam type weather seal strip. Checkers, pick n pay all sell it.

So squeeze yourself inside and get someone to close it. Then just stick it on the inside where you see the light by the hinges etc and on the door side too so both touch when doors are closed. Mount 2 hooks to the roof for a light to hang from.

You can be quiet imaginative with the bottom e.g. auto draining tray, makes watering the plants a happy task every single time.

Use the light you have for now for propagation and just upgrade it to something a little better when you can. Aircon places sell a cheap insulation foam board that's reflective that would really beneficial to avoid condensation. You can do that later on too. You will be amazed how once your cupboard is running how you start looking for little upgrades everytime you take the wife/gf shopping.

Anyway my opinion is based on personal experience and your cupboard is alot more larnee then in what I started. And please the most important thing is use decent genetics.

If @Mr_Nice_Guy is down to do full grows indoors he could definitely make it a snazzy grow cupboard. 

But even me as a primarily indoor grower, if I'm out doing the outdoor life already I'd be hardpressed to daddle too much in indoor. 

5 minutes ago, Ill_Evan said:

If @Mr_Nice_Guy is down to do full grows indoors he could definitely make it a snazzy grow cupboard. 

But even me as a primarily indoor grower, if I'm out doing the outdoor life already I'd be hardpressed to daddle too much in indoor. 

Yeah I agree. Was merely motivating that the cupboard can be transformed into something worthy of flowering and he shouldn't dis or let anyone dis his cupboard.

Personally I do both, no issues. But I will admit outdoor is more forgiving and alot less work. I only tend to my outdoor plants just before I jump into the shower. I have a phobia of garden hitchhikers.

• Agree 1

@Mr_Nice_Guy Well bloody done man. I got as far as "Pics 1&2 before I cleaned,sterilized,painted ". Never went further. But it is a perfect grow cabinet. I have seen guys do vegging, flowering and cloning in a cab like that. Look at doing short flowering plants and you will be amazed how much goodness you can squeeze into that cab.

• Like 1

@Mr_Nice_Guy what are the dimensions of that cupboard?

I am currently growing in a space no bigger than L72x W54x H90cm. Apart from heat/light stress she is doing alright.

20200105_145934.thumb.jpg.bba39f1f3bf399fe90bb303262d965ed.jpg

20200105_145926.thumb.jpg.adf86f40a80481d429b18b81ff80339f.jpg

A little training and I imagine you could grow almost anywhere. 

Not sure what yield I can expect, but for a first grow I'm happy.

All the best for your grow bud.

Edited by Bakstein420
  • Like 1

Where there is a will there is a way.
That spacetote plant looks blerrie good man, irrespective of where or how it was grown. It shows what can be done.
Imagine what can be done with a steel cupboard....

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 1/7/2020 at 10:17 AM, Chris Jay said:

@Mr_Nice_Guy Well bloody done man. I got as far as "Pics 1&2 before I cleaned,sterilized,painted ". Never went further. But it is a perfect grow cabinet. I have seen guys do vegging, flowering and cloning in a cab like that. Look at doing short flowering plants and you will be amazed how much goodness you can squeeze into that cab.

Thanks buddy, perhaps I gave you some new year inspiration to continue with your cupboard. 😉 

• Like 1

I must say you did inspire me. But I sold all my indoor equipment long ago. Oh I lie, I still have two custom boxes for drying biltong and vegging clones. My days of tinkering are long over sadly. But I am subbed to your post and would like to see your development.

Edited by Chris Jay
  • Like 1