Various light questions

Yodaspike

Hi all, new to weed growing methods.

Few things i was wondering.

1. Is it really not worth while to use 6500k 2000lm led lights for flowering.

2. If i add 2 red and 2 blue disco leds lights to above, would it help.

3. Can i not just paint normal globes red and blue instead of buying red and blue lights.

4. Which would be the cheapest lights to buy to flower 1 plant at 60cm high.

5. Would mirrors be the best reflective material to use in a light box/grow room.

Thank you

Hi all, new to weed growing methods.
Few things i was wondering.
1. Is it really not worth while to use 6500k 2000lm led lights for flowering.
2. If i add 2 red and 2 blue disco leds lights to above, would it help.
3. Can i not just paint normal globes red and blue instead of buying red and blue lights.
4. Which would be the cheapest lights to buy to flower 1 plant at 60cm high.
5. Would mirrors be the best reflective material to use in a light box/grow room.

Thank you

Firstly let's start off by stating that not all LED's are equal. The par differs quite significantly and just because its bright and has a lot of lumen output does not mean it will work well for growing cannabis.

1. It's not advisable, 6500k is getting quite blue and more red light during flower is beneficial for cannabis.
2. Disco lights? Never heard of anyone using disco lights to grow, not sure how they differ but I imagine lights with just red LED's or just blue LED's - once again it goes back to the par of the light. How much of the light can the plants actually use / absorb.
3. No, not quite how it works. If you take tap water and add Orange food colouring, it does not become Oros. Its not necessarily the colour of light we as humans see, but the wavelength of the light. Majority of LED's now a days used for growing are full spectrum and to us humans appear to be white, or perhaps white with a slight yellow tint if it's a lower Kelvin (like 3000k), although it's outputting light in a rather broad spectrum and not just in the red light spectrum or blue light spectrum etc.
So although the light to us does not appear as red or blue, there are high amounts of red and blue which the light outputs.
4. Not sure on the cheapest, there are a few options. HIDs can be purchased for a low price and I know@CreX was selling one and I think@Mambawana too - maybe reach out to them via PM.
5. Most use tents indoors in which case it has reflective mylar which works well.
I've used a room and painted the walls white and it works well too.
With a mirror I don't feel the light will be scattered and feel it may concentrate the light too much in a single spot and may even cause issues.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Yodaspike said:

Morning all

So just to some up if you would,

I want to run leds, should i buy a combination of 2700k and red and blue, or run only one or the other, and how many per plant is min required.

Thank you

I think you need to provide more information so that the guys that use LEDs can recommend lights they use...

Grow room/tent size being the most important factor in light selection.

Are you going to veg and flower under the same light?

I'm also standing by to find out what are the best bang for bucks LEDs in the market?

I have read that having both 5600k and 2700k leds/lights is fine, but at the same time its also said that just 2700k is best, thats now besides hps lights.

Should i maybe not just change to normal old school element 100w or 60w bulbs, incadecent i think is the fancy word for them.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Yodaspike said:

I have read that having both 5600k and 2700k leds/lights is fine, but at the same time its also said that just 2700k is best, thats now besides hps lights.

Should i maybe not just change to normal old school element 100w or 60w bulbs, incadecent i think is the fancy word 

What's your budget?

Incandescent lights are not for growing. They can be used when germinating seeds and cloning for the warmth they give off but that's as far as it goes.

You have 3 options for flowering,

Something close to a 3000K LED or HPS.

Option 3: The Sun.

• Agree 1

@PsyCLownwhat do you think here?

I would go for something in 3000k for flower, and if you really want to, you can add some red light. 

Incandescent bulbs are the worst you can do for growing... I have successfully germinated and vegged for a few weeks... But growth was super shit. 

For your budget, and for 1 plant... I feel you might have better luck with an HPS setup... 

@Mambawana seeing as you're in durbs too... Maybe you could offer him an HPS light?

Alternatively I have one that I am looking to sell.

@Yodaspike 

Dude, don't get me wrong but it looks like you have been researching LEDs and I'm pretty sure you noticed that LEDs are way over your budget. 

You need to rethink your plan and come up with a total budget that you want to spend growing and come back to us so we can help you cos lighting is only 1 part of the costs of growing

Yeah, decent LED's for R1k isn't likely to happen.

I use 3000k LED's for veg and flower, although nothing wrong with using 3500k as well.
I wouldn't mix like you said, unless you have full control over each spectrum and feel it may be useful.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Well i found new type leds, 2700k 800lm, 7w, for R45, they are actually almost brighter than my 18w 2000lm led tubes, which are 6500k.

So now i have the 3 6500k led tubes, 2000lm each, 5 2700k 800lm leds bulbs and the 2 blue and 2 red small disco lights.

Will post pics some time once stuff starts happening or not with the plant.

So i have probably about 10000lm of mix lights, running 11hrs per day.

24 minutes ago, Yodaspike said:

Oh, forgot to mention, i saw a incadecent light at 3000k, so would then gooi out the theory of them being worst lights to use?

And lastly, does any one have hps 400w balasts to sell?

Thank you

HI Yoda... 

I have a 400w setup to sell. 

Please don't use those lights you plan to use... 

You will not be happy with the results. 

I am really not trying to discourage your passion... But if you stay on this course... You will not grow anything decent, and your money would be better spent buying what you normally buy. 

56 minutes ago, Yodaspike said:

Oh, forgot to mention, i saw a incadecent light at 3000k, so would then gooi out the theory of them being worst lights to use?

And lastly, does any one have hps 400w balasts to sell?

Thank you

They are the worst lights to use... only one way for you to know for real if you don't want to take our word for it, is to try it...

But still please do yourself a favour and buy the 400W hps offered. Just know that it's not going to cover the 4 x 4 on its own but it is 100times better then what you planning on using.

If you do buy the 400W from @CreX I will sponsor you an extra 400W MH lamp and best of all I'm in durbs too

2 hours ago, Yodaspike said:

I actually.have 3 400w hps lights, but no ballast.

So buy yourself a ballast for the 400W and you will have yourself a proper grow light. 

You have 2 choices:

Electronic ballast

Magnetic ballast

Even though there are some differences both give the same end result.

Magnetic ballasts are alot cheaper and quite reliable long term.

Electronic ballasts has advantages like being able to dim the light. Quicker at igniting the lamp.

Post a pic of what 400W light fittings you have and maybe we can work something out for you.

• Agree 1

@Yodaspike

If you have all the bits except a ballast then I'm sure you can hit up builders or any large hardware store, or a lighting warehouse.. They will have loose ballasts for you to buy. 

A new one would set you back about 800 bucks, maybe alil less. 

Just make sure you have the following :

400w ballast

Igniter

Capacitor

And the fitting for the bulb ofcoarse👌

And as @Mambawana said... It won't cover your whole grow area, but it will get a couple of plants from seed to harvest... And you will be happy with the results😁😁

Okay... So we have handles one aspect of your grow. Keep us updated on what you do.. We really want to help you grow the best you can! 

Next question... Will you be growing in soil... Or in a different medium? Hydroponics or coco? 

Atill working out some kinks, like high humudity and heat in greanhouse.

Right now i have 1 female i need to clone a few time to get plants but ish, not as easy it seems as with roses. Seems most of the other plants are males. Need to make some changes then will try and make the grow room propper, but will upload pics when i get a gap. 

Bit of a issue with grean house, temp needs to be in high 20s for fish but not over 30 for plants, and have dogs thats after the fish and plants, and they are break in experts, so its ma a battle, but all in good time

• 2 weeks later...