Soil for growing indoors

Spook

Hey everyone

Im a new grower thats looking to grow weed indoors. I have almost got everything I need to start however am feeling overwhelmed when it comes to choosing the right soil. I am looking at using GHE flora trio however all the soils I can find seem to already be enhanced with nutrients and this makes it difficult to decide when to start adding my own nutrients. Could anyone offer any guidance? 

I was in your shoes a few months ago too.

In terms of soil, Freedom Farms and Organics Matter are both popular and decent soils. I have used both and they are both great - keep in mind that soil may have bad batches at times.

As for nutrients, for me I kinda just messed around a bit and tried to see how far I could push things and learn my limits that way. Over time you will get a feel for it, the nutrient guides can be of use as a rough guide line.

There are ultimately 3 scenarios:

1. You do not give nutes soon enough - the leaves on the plants will start to go yellow and growth will be a bit on the slow side
  2. You give too many nutes and the plants get nute burn - this will be noticed by looking at the plants leaves, the tips will go a lighter colour and growth may be slowed for a few days
  3. You give the plants enough nutes and they are happy, green and healthy

Scenario number 1 is not an issue, you will notice it and if you are unsure create a thread on the forums and people can advise you. You can then give your plant nutes and it will recover, you would have learnt more and gained some experience and insight. Growing in good soil helps prevent this from happening.

Scenario number 2 can happen, but unless you really fuck up and seriously give your plants waaaaaay too many nutes it will not die. You will be able to get the plant to recover from it without much difficulty.

Scenario number 3 is what I am sure will happen.

Depending on what nutes you plan on using, you may need an EC pen (for the GHE nutes I would recommend a PH pen).

As a rough thumb suck guide, once the plants have their 2nd set of true leaves (serrated leaves) out, then you can start giving nutes if you'd like. Go for a lower EC of around 0.6 to 0.7 and the plants should handle it without much issue.

As the plants get larger and if they are still in veg you can increase it up to 1.2 EC - I have never felt any need to go above this during veg. By this point the plants are already established and quite hardy and they can handle quite a bit.

When you put the plants into flower, they are already big and established, start with an EC of 1.2 and you can increase it upto around an EC of 1.4, maybe 1.6 if you feel the need to but even at an EC of 1.6 it is perhaps on the higher side. When I mix my Haifa nutes I end up with an EC of 1.4 and sometimes I add the Freedom Farms Fire Juice just because I have it which pushes the EC upto 1.8 and plants handle it without any issues.

You could certainly get away with less nutes, especially in soil and during veg. If you use the above as a rough guide, unlikely you will hurt your plants.
Another thing to keep in mind is that some plants are happier with higher nutes than others so it may vary a bit between plants / strains.

• Like 1

I have never used epsom salts, I just got Cal Mag and used that.

I added a pinch with every feed and never had issues.

BioBizz works, it is easy to work. Not the cheapest but decent stuff. You don't really need a PH pen to use BioBizz.

I preferred using Fish Mix over Grow for veg though and I went in heavy with the Bloom.