Laughing buddha, Critical and Auto Bruce Banner

Za Weed Lover

Hello 

Starting this to share and hopefully learn more. 

Just bought seeds from @Cannabist, 100% germinatetion and all sealed. 

So have popped 2 x barneys farm laughing buddha,  1 x Monster Genetics Auto Bruce Banner and 1 x Royal Queen Seeds Critical.  

Day one for Laughing buddha was 16th December and the other to 17th December. 

Will be grown out up 2 x 400w HPS . 

20191217_080919.jpg

20191217_080955.jpg

20191217_080842.jpg

IMG_20191217_125451_168.jpg

• Like 2

All the luck with your grow.

Don't over water those seedlings and help the tops of that medium dry out. Small fan light breeze. Damping off can be heartbreaking.

400W HPS grows decent hard mugs. To increase yield on those lights I would recommend you flipping the photos early just after the bottom branches catch up to the top. If they get too big then you gonna end up with a lower yield of ripe buds and lots of larfies with those lights. I only grow with hps and I eventually found that I yield more with 1 plant per 400W as opposed to getting a few to share.

On a side note I'd love to afford some LED replacements oneday. Anyone grows with a not too expensive LED that can match a 1000W hps footprint 1200 x 1200.

Awesome and thanks for the feedback regarding 100% germination rate - much appreciated. Will be following the grow ❤️

@Za Weed Lover What method and times/how long did you use to germinate?

@Mambawana if you keen on DIY, you can get away with around R5000 https://ledgardener.com/diy-led-strip-build-designs-samsung-bridgelux/ (Samsung F-Series LT-F564B 2′ LED Strip Build – 4’x4′). Source through digikey, delivery is 5 days and free. I have the solid core wire they mention, very hard to find in SA so can hook you up if need be.

Edited by Cannabist

14 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

Nice! Impressive that they have already popped and have leaves out.

What medium are you using? Looks like coco with some other stuff in there?

They  are on a mission, hoping to keep clones for a few grows. I start with plain coco and in a few days will love to my own mix of super soil. 

The Bruce Banner Auto is the biggest seedling I have ever seen.... so cool. 

13 hours ago, Mambawana said:

All the luck with your grow.

Don't over water those seedlings and help the tops of that medium dry out. Small fan light breeze. Damping off can be heartbreaking.

400W HPS grows decent hard mugs. To increase yield on those lights I would recommend you flipping the photos early just after the bottom branches catch up to the top. If they get too big then you gonna end up with a lower yield of ripe buds and lots of larfies with those lights. I only grow with hps and I eventually found that I yield more with 1 plant per 400W as opposed to getting a few to share.

On a side note I'd love to afford some LED replacements oneday. Anyone grows with a not too expensive LED that can match a 1000W hps footprint 1200 x 1200.

I wish one day to afford Led, cant ignore that they are the further. 

@Mambawanaplease explain, what you mean by flipping early. How long would you recommend vegging for? Do you not recomend vegging for like 8 to 9 week? 

Plus will be using the second 400w , thinking midveg.  

8 hours ago, Cannabist said:

Awesome and thanks for the feedback regarding 100% germination rate - much appreciated. Will be following the grow ❤️

@Za Weed Lover What method and times/how long did you use to germinate?

@Mambawana if you keen on DIY, you can get away with around R5000 https://ledgardener.com/diy-led-strip-build-designs-samsung-bridgelux/ (Samsung F-Series LT-F564B 2′ LED Strip Build – 4’x4′). Source through digikey, delivery is 5 days and free. I have the solid core wire they mention, very hard to find in SA so can hook you up if need be.

I socked for about 36 hrs and then put on paper towel and close to my hard drive and done. 36hrs later they up. 

With the Monster Genetics Bruce, I did have to crake it open, such beautiful healthy seeds. But now way, it would have generated, with a shell so big. 

Got a line on a 8 inch inline fan?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Za Weed Lover said:

I wish one day to afford Led, cant ignore that they are the further. 

@Mambawanaplease explain, what you mean by flipping early. How long would you recommend vegging for? Do you not recomend vegging for like 8 to 9 week? 

Plus will be using the second 400w , thinking midveg.  

Depends on how fast your plants grow. Flipping early as in 3-4weeks. And if you can get your hands on metal halide lamp then that would keep everything a lot more compact in veg i.e. tighter internodal spacing. And then you can use hps lamp from around day 18 of flower

Edited by Mambawana
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mambawana said:

Depends on how fast your plants grow. Flipping early as in 3-4weeks. And if you can get your hands on metal halide lamp then that would keep everything a lot more compact in veg i.e. tighter internodal spacing. And then you can use hps lamp from around day 18.

Okay thanks, will keep this thread updated. But you reckon that a good yield could be achieved in a four week veg cycle.  Plus my room has a height of 2,4 m . Could vegging for longer, cost me in flower,  it supposed they will stretch 150%.  Laughing Buddha is said to be a "almost pure sativa". I will lst,super crop and top. Might put my scog net up. Will see. 

2 hours ago, Mambawana said:

Depends on how fast your plants grow. Flipping early as in 3-4weeks. And if you can get your hands on metal halide lamp then that would keep everything a lot more compact in veg i.e. tighter internodal spacing. And then you can use hps lamp from around day 18 of flower

Very interesting, I have also run the first few weeks of bloom with MH lamps to try reduce stretch in early bloom. 

I can't say definitively that it made much difference. But the theory is solid. 

I actually found that a more full spectrum, so the HPS and MH together, the plants grew best in the section where the light mixes in the middle... It could be because the light is more intense in that area... But I dono... I thought they just grew better in general. 

2 hours ago, CreX said:

Very interesting, I have also run the first few weeks of bloom with MH lamps to try reduce stretch in early bloom. 

I can't say definitively that it made much difference. But the theory is solid. 

I actually found that a more full spectrum, so the HPS and MH together, the plants grew best in the section where the light mixes in the middle... It could be because the light is more intense in that area... But I dono... I thought they just grew better in general. 

Thanks. Also heard of that ashwell but will see.

@CreX 

Besides all the theory behind MH and HPS... I've personally witnessed the differences. It's huge. HPS definitely causes larger internodal spacing in veg and preflower. MH gets the buds to set closer in preflower so that eventually all those buds grow into each other and become one large bud. On the flip side if you use MH past like +-day18 then you going to have smaller buds that won't bulk up to full potential during the weeks 4-6.

But if you could only choose 1 for the entire grow it has to be HPS. I've used mixed spectrum lamps when I didn't have a choice and the buds under the MH didn't harden up like the ones under hps.

@Za Weed Lover 

Yeah definitely short veg. Install scrog when you flip and then you can spread out the stretch under the scrog. This only applies to 400W HPS because it doesn't have the penetration like the bigger hps's and LEDs. I only use hps and I'm okay to show you my lighting set-up so that you have peace of mind that I'm not putting you in the bush. Nowadays I use 400W MHs in my veg room and 1000W HPSs in flower room. When I get another aircon I will upgrade my veg room to 1000W lights. It will surely help me become more perpetual because now I veg my plants for a week extra in flower room just to get them use to more intense lights before flip.

On 12/18/2019 at 2:52 PM, Mambawana said:

@Za Weed Lover 

Yeah definitely short veg. Install scrog when you flip and then you can spread out the stretch under the scrog. This only applies to 400W HPS because it doesn't have the penetration like the bigger hps's and LEDs. I only use hps and I'm okay to show you my lighting set-up so that you have peace of mind that I'm not putting you in the bush. Nowadays I use 400W MHs in my veg room and 1000W HPSs in flower room. When I get another aircon I will upgrade my veg room to 1000W lights. It will surely help me become more perpetual because now I veg my plants for a week extra in flower room just to get them use to more intense lights before flip.

I do have a MH that I am vegging under. For now they are all under the 400w and will only turn on the other 400w closer to flower.  Which is the HPS ,so thinking of mixing the lights but then will pull out the MH after the 2 weeks of flower. Then put the second HPS till end of flower. 

I have been so unlucky on the seeds side, that I am still to see a havests,  almost 8 months later. 

So excited about seeing this through ,finally have my own stash. Prices are hardcore . 

I will be putting up an 8 inch fan to get the hot air out. Don't want these babies to hernia. 

I read that 2 x 400w lights are better then a single 1000w light.  What's everyone's opinion on that.  How would one set that up to combine power. Because they will be flowered under both lights.  And wouldn't that have a bigger penetration?

20191219_100543.jpg

@Za Weed Lover

Your lighting plan sounds spot on for what you have.

Reading and researching is very important but with that said it also requires you to filter the information out there. 1000W HPS lights are demons... I don't think even 4 x 400W hps could compete with 1 x 1000W. But that's not the point. What's important right now for you is to plan better for keeping the temps down. An exhaust fan is not going to be able to keep the temps down in flower more especially if it's hot where you live. HPS lamps run a lot hotter then MH and 2 x 400W HPS lamps create a lot of radiant heat. If you not going to use an aircon then Aircooled hoods are an okay option together with running your lights ON cycle during the night. With this comes another problem with high humidity when lights are OFF.

Don't take anything I said as a negative, it's what we all have to deal with. Every grow set-up comes with its own set of problems. The better prepared we are for it the greater the chance for success.

43 minutes ago, Mambawana said:

@Za Weed Lover

Reading and researching is very important but with that said it also requires you to filter the information out there. 1000W HPS lights are demons... I don't think even 4 x 400W hps could compete with 1 x 1000W. But that's not the point. What's important right now for you is to plan better for keeping the temps down. An exhaust fan is not going to be able to keep the temps down in flower more especially if it's hot where you live. HPS lamps run a lot hotter then MH and 2 x 400W HPS lamps create a lot of radiant heat. If you not going to use an aircon then Aircooled hoods are an okay option together with running your lights ON cycle during the night. With this comes another problem with high humidity when lights are OFF.

Don't take anything I said as a negative, it's what we all have to deal with. Every grow set-up comes with its own set of problems. The better prepared we are for it the greater the chance for success.

As long as the extraction fan is running 24/7 and there is enough passive air intake, I do not think humidity will be an issue when lights are off.

I have not experienced that at least, all my fans run 24/7.

obviously the humidity in the room which the air is being sucked in from will play a massive role in the humidity inside your tent.

Without an aircon or dehumidifier, the humidity inside your tent will never drop below the humidity outside your tent.

On 12/19/2019 at 5:35 PM, Mambawana said:

@Za Weed Lover

Thanks bud. True will be installing the fan tomorrow and 200mn inline . Will be running that 24/7. It is hot here and low in humidity. 

57 minutes ago, Za Weed Lover said:

Thanks bud. True will be installing the fan tomorrow and 200mn inline . Will be running that 24/7. It is hot here and low in humidity. 

Set it up to draw passive air from inside the house and vent outside... Will help as the air temp is cooler inside. Keep the exhaust fan close to the lights and have a fan blow air between the lights and the top of the canopy. And yeah remember to run your lights ON cycle at night. The fact that things are dry there is a benefit.

All this is only important in flower. In veg the plants are fine with things being hot. Should anyone disagree I'm happy posting a pic of my veg room running hot and the plants are thriving with no heat stress symptoms.

On 12/19/2019 at 6:21 PM, PsyCLown said:

As long as the extraction fan is running 24/7 and there is enough passive air intake, I do not think humidity will be an issue when lights are off.

I have not experienced that at least, all my fans run 24/7.

obviously the humidity in the room which the air is being sucked in from will play a massive role in the humidity inside your tent.

Without an aircon or dehumidifier, the humidity inside your tent will never drop below the humidity outside your tent.

Maybe things are different with tents but whenever my lights go out my humidity spikes and I'm running 250mm intake and exhaust fans 24/7. I'm forced to use dehumidifiers during lights out. 

Maybe me being on the coast is a contributing factor to the humidity.

If you can teach me a way to keep humidity down during lights OFF without me using a dehumidifier I will definitely give it a shot as it will save me a lot on electricity.

1 hour ago, Mambawana said:

Set it up to draw passive air from inside the house and vent outside... Will help as the air temp is cooler inside. Keep the exhaust fan close to the lights and have a fan blow air between the lights and the top of the canopy. And yeah remember to run your lights ON cycle at night. The fact that things are dry there is a benefit.

All this is only important in flower. In veg the plants are fine with things being hot. Should anyone disagree I'm happy posting a pic of my veg room running hot and the plants are thriving with no heat stress symptoms.

Wow pleased to hear that because my temps have reached 35 and my white skunk #1 and seedlings don't even flinch. There is no heat stress or anything. 

I will have a 200mm exhaust fan ,which is to big for my space. Also at the point my roof meets in my grow room, is where I will be putting it up tomorrow.  So will be pulling out, but will keep records to see if it helps. Also I am pulling air in through the side of the space,where there is shad all day long. The highest temp from that, is like a 26 during the day. The nice thing as well is that my space is right under a tree. I've made a cheap intake fan thing. Which helps but hoping that a lot of passive air will be pulled in because of the big fan. My room isn't sealed and won't be sealing it . 20191221_113225.thumb.jpg.818250afbfd13bdeb237484f36a8612a.jpg

1 hour ago, Mambawana said:

Maybe things are different with tents but whenever my lights go out my humidity spikes and I'm running 250mm intake and exhaust fans 24/7. I'm forced to use dehumidifiers during lights out. 

If you can teach me a way to keep humidity down during lights OFF without me using a dehumidifier I will definitely give it a shot as it will save me a lot on electricity.

I cant comment yet on the exhaust fan yet, will install tomorrow but I find that I have to run a dehumidifier in my room some days, as humidity is super low. Inland problems but I have DIY some fabric pots and have noticed that with them in the space, humidity has  gone up to about a consistent 40 rh. Maybe it's not but that's what I have noticed.  Wired.  

Now I have no experience much but I am hoping that my exhaust fan will be able to control such. But like I said not sure. 

On 12/19/2019 at 5:00 PM, Za Weed Lover said:

I do have a MH that I am vegging under. For now they are all under the 400w and will only turn on the other 400w closer to flower.  Which is the HPS ,so thinking of mixing the lights but then will pull out the MH after the 2 weeks of flower. Then put the second HPS till end of flower. 

I have been so unlucky on the seeds side, that I am still to see a havests,  almost 8 months later. 

So excited about seeing this through ,finally have my own stash. Prices are hardcore . 

I will be putting up an 8 inch fan to get the hot air out. Don't want these babies to hernia. 

I read that 2 x 400w lights are better then a single 1000w light.  What's everyone's opinion on that.  How would one set that up to combine power. Because they will be flowered under both lights.  And wouldn't that have a bigger penetration?

20191219_100543.jpg

Cool mutation..

:-peace

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Za Weed Lover said:

I cant comment yet on the exhaust fan yet, will install tomorrow but I find that I have to run a dehumidifier in my room some days, as humidity is super low. Inland problems but I have DIY some fabric pots and have noticed that with them in the space, humidity has  gone up to about a consistent 40 rh. Maybe it's not but that's what I have noticed.  Wired.  

Now I have no experience much but I am hoping that my exhaust fan will be able to control such. But like I said not sure. 

You doing well so far. Just keep it cracking on. Humidity only becomes an issue when you in midflower and the plants are transpiring like crazy. 

I keep my humidity high with higher temps, it aids in quick growth and making conditions poor for pests like spidermites, etc.

My flower room runs at 25C 50%RH. Now that I'm close to harvest I've dropped the temps and RH... 23C 45%RH and 20C at Lights OFF, the humidity thou fluctuates at Lights out between 50%-70% RH which is not ideal but nothing I can do till I get a bigger dehumidifier.

IMG_20191221_140410.jpg

A tent can't magically lower RH, at best without a dehumidifier your RH inside your grow area will only reach the RH which is outside the grow area.

So for example if it's 70% RH outside, regardless of how great your airflow is the RH inside your veg area won't be lower than 70%

It's possible I haven't noticed as much of an issue as in general I imagine my RH to be lower overall as Gauteng is drier than by the coast so even if it were to increase slightly its not really a concern.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1