Biltong and Dud's

Za Weed Lover

8 minutes ago, 420SA said:

I'm gonna get flack for saying this but if you keep going for autos your chances of duds are higher as well.

True but autos have earned a place in our community. Many scenarios people just can't grow photos. Like right now for instance... If I needed bud asap, I would grow a couple 60 day autos. Or if my yard was heavily light polluted by street lights or neighbours lights I would have no choice but to grow autos.

The flip side to being put in this position would be you probably gonna have mediocre end results. Although some breeders are putting crazy thc numbers on their autos so who knows maybe someone on this forum is gonna meet up with a Fire pheno and show us all something new.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, trichomechaser said:

Hey there,

I help out Biltong and Budz with their orders. I've popped around 40 seeds that I've received from various breeders through B&B, and while not all have germed, about 92% have. Last 2 batches (20 seeds) have had 100% germination success.

I realize I may come across as biased, but I only want to help you determine where your problem lies. Biltong and Budz don't breed their own seeds (think there was 1 pack that they did), so whatever else you buy (unless a local breeder) is being imported directly through the seed banks you'd buy from if you ordered internationally. The seed banks that carry them don't really have control over the viability of the seeds, it's all about picking seeds from a quality breeder, more so than the seed bank.

The issue here is 100% the mediums you're using, not sure about the other 2 but when I started growing a few years back I made the mistake of using a soil like that and had the exact same issues with my plants. It isn't the genetics, it's the soil in this case. Avoid barky soil you find at garden shops, cannabis does not do well in it at all! Avoid barky or woody soils. They all stunt in exactly the same way, and look like the plant in the image. Barky soil is typically very acidic and also quite hot. That is why you see what you do here, a plant that has both deficiencies and burns. 

Thank for you input. I have only ordered from them, from say one. Since the law was passed in fact. They bring in some interesting stuff. I have never grown before, but one thing i can tell you, is that i am still learning. But one of the first things i ever learnt, was about soil mixes and popping seed. My thing is I have tried everything and found consistently that the paper towel method works, for me. I have grown well over 40 plants in that time, till harvest. My problem comes in at the point, where i contacted BnB and asked them for there germination method, which they gave me the paper towel method but also did say to research more, which i did. 

I issue is with the fact, that i spend my money buying them and i can't contact Buddah, Bulk, Victory Seeds,  and tell them that they seeds did pop, twice! I understand that they bring the stuff in but they should rather say, they not the people to talk to if your seeds dont pop. 

Maybe I shouldnt blame them but who do We turn too?

I keep seeing, "put it to school fees" is this the standard thing? 

I am not saying i am a master grower, I know i am very far from that and still a long way to go. 

On 11/17/2019 at 8:19 AM, PsyCLown said:

Well, which seeds did you order? From which breeder?

I know GSR has had issues with their seeds not popping before. Some of my friends have ordered from BnB and not had issues with seeds but another purchased some auto seeds from expert seeds I think and he had one pop only. He's never bought those seeds again and has had great success with all other seeds.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Buddah seeds , 2 x  Calamity Jane (first 3 didn't pop, then ordered another pack and now have one that i am trying to germinate, finger crossed , 6 Seeds . 

3 x GG Bulk Seeds ( Didn't pop)

3x Og Kush Victory Seeds ( Received 5 in a 3 pack but only 3 popped) 

1 x WW Auto ( Grow and got a penny bud)

1 x Critical (Photo) Bulk, Which actually grew well. 

There is been a few, cant remember some other ones 

On 11/17/2019 at 8:28 AM, SkunkPharm said:

I don't think it is the seed bank selling the seeds that is the problem. I just think that some feminized seeds have an issue in general sprouting. But sometimes you can just see that the seeds you got is kak no fault of the people selling it. I suggest sticking with reputable seed companies like Green house seed, Dinafem, RQS and Humboldt if you are a beginner grower. I have never had an issue with their seeds. Also try to buy popular seeds that would not have sat in someone's fridge for 6 months to a year.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the wise words but I blame the cheese shop, if they sell me sub standard cheese. I feel that if you sell it then , you responsible for the quality of said product. 

This is where i need you guys to advise us in such things. Maybe I just dont understand how the community works, but I see a strain and I want to grow it, I didnt think that I have to sift through.

3 hours ago, trichomechaser said:

I'm still convinced it's the soil bud, compare it to the others who have used that type of soil here: 

You'll see what I mean.

And you'd be surprised what a difference you'll see in something like Freedom Farms or Organics Matters or Jamie's Garden Shop soil... 

It's not the cheap seeds either - here are some of my Bulk Seed Bank R60 autos from B&B. No failed germination issues with them either. But remember, no matter the breeder - autos are fussy as hell and require a lot more 'ideal' conditions than photoperiods if you're going to be happy with the results in many cases. But these are the same cheap genetics that people hate on and I found them great for the price.

bsb-autos-young.thumb.jpg.43c8f8c25a503fcbb517dc3d79fd9d57.jpg

cheese-bsb.thumb.jpg.7771dc6eb229822b076723e826ddaa3a.jpg

bsb-autos.thumb.jpg.3c2bce38ccfc5f8d7d6f6c9b59d244ec.jpg

caramel-king.thumb.jpg.bc6c0a067f84c27d6e80088bf12567a1.jpg

Wow those look amazing, glad you have had success with them, looking good. 

Just now, Za Weed Lover said:

Thanks for the wise words but I blame the cheese shop, if they sell me sub standard cheese. I feel that if you sell it then , you responsible for the quality of said product. 

This is where i need you guys to advise us in such things. Maybe I just dont understand how the community works, but I see a strain and I want to grow it, I didnt think that I have to sift through.

Seeds are too volatile by nature for anyone to really guarantee. It's a part of nature that some seeds won't germinate. Most experienced growers will agree. Especially if you have breeder packs. A sealed Buddha Seed is a Buddha Seed regardless of where you buy it. 

The other problem is that people never want to accept their mistakes. B&B gets plenty of people furious over failed germination yet they wet the paper towels twice or three times a day, drowning them. 

If a local seed bank were to guarantee germination they would be out of business soon as their order numbers picked up because of those situations. 

Not saying you are germing wrong, but even a few degrees too low in your germ environment and you'll see problems. Winter germination is a bitch without a heat mat for example. 

B&B could have probably comminucated better, I think that came down to one person running things. There's some additional staff now so there should be better/more helpful communication. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trichomechaser said:

Seeds are too volatile by nature for anyone to really guarantee. It's a part of nature that some seeds won't germinate. Most experienced growers will agree. Especially if you have breeder packs. A sealed Buddha Seed is a Buddha Seed regardless of where you buy it. 

The other problem is that people never want to accept their mistakes. B&B gets plenty of people furious over failed germination yet they wet the paper towels twice or three times a day, drowning them. 

If a local seed bank were to guarantee germination they would be out of business soon as their order numbers picked up because of those situations. 

Not saying you are germing wrong, but even a few degrees too low in your germ environment and you'll see problems. Winter germination is a bitch without a heat mat for example. 

B&B could have probably comminucated better, I think that came down to one person running things. There's some additional staff now so there should be better/more helpful communication. 

Thank Bud. 

I totally agree with you but I must be on natures bad side. You cant guarantee nature anyway. 

I try to keep everything  as controlled as possible and I have like a 1000 bag seeds and i used those to practice . And always check after 24hrs to 36hrs and not an impatient grower, i have left some of them, in that environment for like 14 days and still nothing. 

Maybe i am one of those random people that haven't had the best of luck and feel a bit cheated and if you have tried a different things, you do start wondering about other things. 

1 minute ago, Bakstein420 said:

@Za Weed Lover out of interest, is your heating pad adjustable and can you check the temp? I've read stories of people cooking their beans not realizing how hot those pads get. 

I use the modem as a heat pad, works great. Nice and warm but never gets too toasty. 

I use those guinea pig, cheap pet pads and always  on a plate or something and then paper towel. Doesn't heat up of then 30 degrees. Cleaver using the modem, will be keeping that one.  

Bought seeds from@Cannabist Recieved last week all popped. 70283733bd3583f5c9b6cf4a7856bdd7.jpg

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah. I prefer photo period. We have a Elvis in FF and I know what it kan do.. our soil works with normal seeds and have been tested. I just did not expect nothing happening when the other plants di not show anny issues yet.

Elvis in FF.

20191119_102142.thumb.jpg.0e3f5798574155ab496ad7dc26466252.jpg

One of the seedlings in our soil..

IMG-20191119-WA0044.thumb.jpg.d8beca53574c246084cc011a40f00e6b.jpg

It's been cooked for three months. But yeah issues might arrise as we are not sure how a plant will react in flower as the soil was mixed with a bit more water retention and home made compost to try and get the plant what it needs throughout. If I kan grow a plant for a fraction of the cost of a bag of FF and not need to feed it I'm happy. Thats the goal.. being only oir second full sesson there is still allot of school fees to be paid. We still have some B&B femd we will put in FF or Just Cannabis and then deside if we will be swopping seedbanks. Nice plants.

:-peace

• Like 1

@Za Weed Lover as a customer the best thing is to decide where to send your bucks, you are clearly not happy with your experience, as a customer its your right.

What I meant by school fees is just that this has happened to a lot of us, use the forum as guide, i can see good advice from everybody in this thread already.

Do a small seed order next, sure it will be fire.

I would drop the heating pad, maybe only in winter, and be 100% sure the seedlings dont go above 25c, Best to run temps between 18c - 22c for germination.

Best of luck man, let us know what happens :-greenthumb

• 4 weeks later...

That's quite a small plant, so not a bad thing that it has not started to flower yet.

Although it does not sound like an issue which BnB would be responsible for as they are basically just re-sellers.

Hopefully in time it will start to flower. I had a similar issue, purchased some Charlottes Angel Auto seeds, turns out they were not autoflowers. Hoping it is at least still Charlottes Angel, with the low THC I shouldn't really feel it when smoking it so that will be the test once I have harvested.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

That's quite a small plant, so not a bad thing that it has not started to flower yet.

Although it does not sound like an issue which BnB would be responsible for as they are basically just re-sellers.

Hopefully in time it will start to flower. I had a similar issue, purchased some Charlottes Angel Auto seeds, turns out they were not autoflowers. Hoping it is at least still Charlottes Angel, with the low THC I shouldn't really feel it when smoking it so that will be the test once I have harvested.

Hope it is an auto flower but if not then will grow it out . And wait for flower I guess. Was trying to get my stash up. Guess that's the irritating part. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Za Weed Lover I am sorry to hear your issues. I have used GSR since they were taken over by new owners a few years ago. All I can say is unreal genetics. i have since also started working as a freelancer with them, doing some content. But besides that I have also promoted their genetics far and wide. Their after sales service has been exceptional to clients I have referred to them, and they have also been very happy. Infact, no bias at all cause I dont particularly like indoor, I smoked some of their sour Gelato hydroponically grown and can say it was one of the best smokes I have had in my life.

i have not tried Biltong and Buds, but what I have seen and heard they are great.

Suggestion: contact them, give them a report back. Put your growing mediums down, how you germinated etcccc. All these companies need people like us to give them good feedback so they can grow themselves. It all helps at the end of the day. A mate stuffed the germination process up, contacted them, and bang , new seeds arrived. GSR are a top company and definitely growing places.

have to look at your growing environment. Also remember its been a kak weather year. Where I am plants are dying due to hot dry air, drought, animals are eating them cause they have nothing else to eat. Then the bloody rain comes and washes what is left away. So keep persevering and you will come right. 

@PsyCLown "Although it does not sound like an issue which BnB would be responsible for as they are basically just re-sellers. "

Majority of banks/breeders worldwide are just resellers. There are a very limited amount of quality breeders with good genetics. Take Barneys Farm  for instance. They won HT cups, and it was seeds from another breeder in truth.

29 minutes ago, Chris Jay said:

@Za Weed Lover I am sorry to hear your issues. I have used GSR since they were taken over by new owners a few years ago. All I can say is unreal genetics. i have since also started working as a freelancer with them, doing some content. But besides that I have also promoted their genetics far and wide. Their after sales service has been exceptional to clients I have referred to them, and they have also been very happy. Infact, no bias at all cause I dont particularly like indoor, I smoked some of their sour Gelato hydroponically grown and can say it was one of the best smokes I have had in my life.

i have not tried Biltong and Buds, but what I have seen and heard they are great.

Suggestion: contact them, give them a report back. Put your growing mediums down, how you germinated etcccc. All these companies need people like us to give them good feedback so they can grow themselves. It all helps at the end of the day. A mate stuffed the germination process up, contacted them, and bang , new seeds arrived. GSR are a top company and definitely growing places.

have to look at your growing environment. Also remember its been a kak weather year. Where I am plants are dying due to hot dry air, drought, animals are eating them cause they have nothing else to eat. Then the bloody rain comes and washes what is left away. So keep persevering and you will come right. 

@PsyCLown "Although it does not sound like an issue which BnB would be responsible for as they are basically just re-sellers. "

Majority of banks/breeders worldwide are just resellers. There are a very limited amount of quality breeders with good genetics. Take Barneys Farm  for instance. They won HT cups, and it was seeds from another breeder in truth.

Hey Bud 

Thanks for you pitch in. 

Truly been a minute since I posted this but what I have come to realize is ,we dealing with nature man and no one can guarantee it. 

For example, I bought 3 laughing buddha seeds, 2 are perfect and one just shit. I am new to this and if I go to any shop, I hold the shop to account but I am quickly realizing that in this thing, that you cant complain to seedbank because, like you say are just the middle man. So when buying seeds you take all the risk and is shit goes south, like the OGs in this forum say, "charge it to school fees" 😅

In terms of my growing, did some outdoor for a bit and recently moved indoors (current run). Environment wise, I have ticked almost all the boxes, just need to look at a Ac unit . I mix my own soil and use sprouted, compost teas etc. 

Finally you quite right, when you say keep persevering, strains don't always deliver what they are promising . 

Made my peace with how things work. 

• Like 1

"Made my peace with how things work.  " You are growing bud.

Mother nature is a bitch. Now wait until you realise YOU are now mother nature with all your boxes ticked. I guarantee you will be changing your tune soon. Wishing you the best and hope you grow some dank weed. Just keep going, you will find the right recipe.

2 minutes ago, Chris Jay said:

"Made my peace with how things work.  " You are growing bud.

Mother nature is a bitch. Now wait until you realise YOU are now mother nature with all your boxes ticked. I guarantee you will be changing your tune soon. Wishing you the best and hope you grow some dank weed. Just keep going, you will find the right recipe.

Thanks for the kind words,  will keep growing. All the best. 

• 1 year later...
On 11/19/2019 at 5:26 PM, Za Weed Lover said:

Thank for you input. I have only ordered from them, from say one. Since the law was passed in fact. They bring in some interesting stuff. I have never grown before, but one thing i can tell you, is that i am still learning. But one of the first things i ever learnt, was about soil mixes and popping seed. My thing is I have tried everything and found consistently that the paper towel method works, for me. I have grown well over 40 plants in that time, till harvest. My problem comes in at the point, where i contacted BnB and asked them for there germination method, which they gave me the paper towel method but also did say to research more, which i did. 

I issue is with the fact, that i spend my money buying them and i can't contact Buddah, Bulk, Victory Seeds,  and tell them that they seeds did pop, twice! I understand that they bring the stuff in but they should rather say, they not the people to talk to if your seeds dont pop. 

Maybe I shouldnt blame them but who do We turn too?

I keep seeing, "put it to school fees" is this the standard thing? 

I am not saying i am a master grower, I know i am very far from that and still a long way to go. 

Sometimes seeds just don’t pop. I’ve been growing for years and the success rate is usually 90-95.. 

look at videos from people like kaligrownbudz, his humbolt and dynafem seeds don’t sprout sometimes… plus auto’s don’t pop as easily as normal or fems. Newer strains from good seedbanks sprout much easier and have a higher success rate 🙂

Just as a matter of interest, an old seasoned gardener, who used to own in a nursery in JHB and has a tunnel down here was complaining in the pub on Monday to me about how hardly any seeds have popped this season. I am talking chillies, lettuce, spinach etc. We could not agree on what it could be, he has fresh seeds, great soil, good quality water. He thinks it could be because of our erratic environment. As the crow flies I am one hill away, say 4 clicks from him. Popped 9 seeds of Victory Seeds from BNB last month, 100% germination rate. Strange days indeed.

@Za Weed LoverI know you have spent alot of money, but suck up your pride, contact BnB, make a joke that maybe you just a kak grower, ask them to consider sending you some test seeds, and I am almost 100% certain they will help you out. They are a great bunch of guys, always willing to help out and stand by their products.

Edited by Chris Jay

• 5 months later...

Yea I know. Old thread. But, just wanted to add that I've been buying seeds from B&B since 2019. As most others here I've had around a 90% germination rate. 

As with any online shopping experience there have been issues (not seed germination related) and B&B have always responded professionally and promptly. 

My last order the Anaconda Amnesia Haze box came without the label and when I enquired if it was definitely Amnesia they confirmed that it was and apologized for the inconvenience. They stated that the pack of seeds should never have been shipped like that and promptly sent me another pack free of charge. 

Edited by Buzz Mann
  • Like 1