Growing Commercially Sold Genetics Vs Bagseed

Ill_Evan

3 hours ago, Ssomeguy said:

Come tell this to my plants. I only have 2 commercial plants, and they were sent from Humboldt Seed Org free.

In all honesty. Wish I didn't buy anything for growing. The less I make do with, the better they do.

If you're blessed with the space (or just "find" your own) you can get away with basically just seeds, soil and attention.

18 hours ago, Ssomeguy said:

Come tell this to my plants. I only have 2 commercial plants, and they were sent from Humboldt Seed Org free.

In all honesty. Wish I didn't buy anything for growing. The less I make do with, the better they do.

Yeah come talk when you’ve grown sluricane

5B4CF534-2417-47A0-8A7E-9C46EB9D348F.jpeg

• Like 4

On 11/6/2019 at 4:54 AM, Ssomeguy said:

LOL I'll choon the stomata on underside of your prized bagseed😂😂😂 

I have grown a decent amount of bagseed out, more than 100 for sure. 

Is very rare to find one plant that's decent. And even rarer to find someone who is willing to take cuttings of something they have never smoked or flowered. 

Im saying that out of 10 bagseed plants, you might find 1 or 2 that are okay

But with paid for genetics out of ten, you will get 7 or 8 or more decent plants. 

It's really not fun spending weeks or months growing a plant you think will be amazing! And then after harvest it's not what you are looking for at all. 

You can carry on doing you bru... But don't for a second think you are doing yourself a favor by not growing tried and tested genetics from well spoken of seed companies. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, CreX said:

LOL I'll choon the stomata on underside of your prized bagseed😂😂😂 

I have grown a decent amount of bagseed out, more than 100 for sure. 

Is very rare to find one plant that's decent. And even rarer to find someone who is willing to take cuttings of something they have never smoked or flowered. 

Im saying that out of 10 bagseed plants, you might find 1 or 2 that are okay

But with paid for genetics out of ten, you will get 7 or 8 or more decent plants. 

It's really not fun spending weeks or months growing a plant you think will be amazing! And then after harvest it's not what you are looking for at all. 

You can carry on doing you bru... But don't for a second think you are doing yourself a favor by not growing tried and tested genetics from well spoken of seed companies. 

I agree, even if you do not want to grow a lot of different strains - purchase one or two good ones and just keep growing those.

I personally do not find it worth while waiting 5 months or so to get bud which is disappointing to save a few hundred rands. Seeds can be a once off purchase if you just keep cloning.

I grew a bagseed plant, it turned out pretty good and impressive looking fortunately.

Although a grow is only as good as the weakest link really, if you have the best of everything but shit genetics you are going to still get shit.

I like to use bodybuilders as an example to compare against cannabis as it can be easy to relate to and understand.

In order for a bodybuilder to perform their best, they require certain things - they need to eat right, get enough sleep, train hard and need to have good genetics. Without training and getting all the other stuff dialed in, they will not reach their full potential.

Now compare the bodybuilder to an average joe, with sub-par genetics. No matter how much they train and work on trying to be the best if their genetics are shit they will not get as big as the other guys and their performance will not be on the same level.

In animal terms, you cannot take an Jack Russell and turn it into a Labrador. The genetics are what they are and end of the day can be a limiting factor.

Edited by PsyCLown
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, SkunkPharm said:

I believe their are very good local strains and there are guys who have selected very good phenotypes that they breed with and they are trying to preserve our local strains. Problem is we don't have space to grow out a thousand plants and selecting 10 or 15 to breed with. Legality is still the problem. I have heard of guys growing high thcv strains. But they are keeping those strains for themselves.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

When you say local, are you referring to the land races?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SkunkPharm said:

Yes. If you want to call it that

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I'd love to grow some, although finding some which are good is the problem.

I don't know where to look and then just how good are they?

As you said, legality is still an issue and affects breeding a fair bit.

• Like 2

@SkunkPharm I love my local pavement special, she hardy produces shit loads of buds and a nice high, can grow a bit out of hand indoor lol I had a peach hybrid strain... had to kill her midway flowering 90%covered in PM while my local strain next to it had none.

Yes there are great strains out there and 20+% THC, but just like dog breeding when you over breed you get weaknesses in the genetic.... my opinion.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, CleanGreen said:

Yes there are great strains out there and 20+% THC, but just like dog breeding when you over breed you get weaknesses in the genetic.... my opinion.

If the strain is bred properly and stabilized there is very little to no chance of genetic abnormalities or weaknesses.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Split the conversation from the other thread into this new topic. I believe Ssomeguy is one the one who started the debate but he deleted his posts and left the forum so @Ill_Evan you just so happened to be the next poster inline hence you being the owner of this topic.

I can change the title of the topic etc. guys lemme know what I must do if need be

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...