Vacuum Purging On A Budget

420SA

I have all the means of extracting BHO and consuming it but I'm left without one crucial component... a vacuum chamber...

Please don't tell me to just purge it by means of heat and time. I've done this once and the result was great but the fact of the matter is that it's basically impossible to remove all butane and I'm not really keen to put my lungs at that much risk. Read up on it

I haven't done a huge deal of research on what is available locally but what I've found has come up with big numbers ... 6k to 9k for a small pump and chamber...This seems really steep and I'm not in a position right now to put down big cash like that for what is still a novelty in cannabis culture (consuming extracts). 

I'm keen to hear if guys have built their own chambers and where they have source vacuum pumps etc. Otherwise let me know where you got your vacuum chamber setup, how much you paid and if it treas you well 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SkunkPharm said:

Why don't you just dissolve you extract in ethanol and the n evaporate the ethanol. All the Gass will then be out of you extract.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I am aware of that thanks, kinda thinking long term and would eventually want a chamber to negate the need to buy ethanol every now and then which as we know is quite pricey

On that note though. What ratio of ethanol to extract is suitable to dissolve the butane out effectively? 

On 11/8/2019 at 6:44 PM, Justin Hemp said:

I agree, the pumps alone are insanely priced. Have you considered a refrigerator pump? I've seen a few of those used in a DIY vacuum chamber. @420SA Did you buy a Blast chamber ?

First I've heard of a fridge pump being used. Are they similar to vacuum pumps?

Bought myself a 30g blasting tube a month or 2 back

Those blasting tubes are great, also not to difficult to make one. A vac pump is a soft material vane pump in an oil bath. Fridge pumps have pistons that also pump inside a chamber filled with lube oil, but not quite as effective as the Vacpump design. Guess one could rig the fridge pump to work air, but don't a sufficient vacuum will be available.

Bought a chamber and a pump (I think I did supply my source previously) but it is expensive. Like 5 to 7K

Problem was keeping a moderate temperature (<40C) on the purge cycle (2-24hrs.) Heating mats are the solution, but again expensive.  (Got my built in heating coil chamber yesterday, and it costs.)

You can cycle the purge if you have a pump and chamber, with short manual reheats and repurges. (I found my quantities and issue, hence the choice to upscale.)

If you were close, would gladly purge for you :-bankie

Time is an option also - leave the extract in thin film and store it for a few days to self purge, but it is imprecise and taste remains the issue.

Those hand pumps work ok, @highchome but small volumes only.