First time harvesting

Hello All

I've started drying out my first ever harvest.

I've hung it in a biltong machine (one of those cheapies from Game), the machine itself isn't on and the top lid is off - It's in my garage. Is this ok or am I setting myself up for problems?

Also, my wife has periodic drug tests at work which includes THC tests, can she possibly absorb anything that would cause a positive test while it's drying when she's in the garage? 

Thanks 

When drying you want to try and prolong the drying, keep the temps down and try keep the humidity around 55 - 65%

If the RH is too high you have a higher chance of getting mold, if it's too low it may dry out too quickly. If the temps are too high, the terpenes can end up affected in a negative way and you can end up with bud which does not taste great.

You also want to dry in a dark place as light can negatively affect the bud.

Regarding THC from the drying bud, I do not think so. The highest risk is when you smoke it, if she is around - the 2nd hand smoke could possibly lead to positive test results.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

When drying you want to try and prolong the drying, keep the temps down and try keep the humidity around 55 - 65%

If the RH is too high you have a higher chance of getting mold, if it's too low it may dry out too quickly. If the temps are too high, the terpenes can end up affected in a negative way and you can end up with bud which does not taste great.

You also want to dry in a dark place as light can negatively affect the bud.

Regarding THC from the drying bud, I do not think so. The highest risk is when you smoke it, if she is around - the 2nd hand smoke could possibly lead to positive test results.

Thanks

Just a bit paranoid about possible absorption.

Thanks for clearing that up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nimzowitsch said:

Hello All

I've started drying out my first ever harvest.

I've hung it in a biltong machine (one of those cheapies from Game), the machine itself isn't on and the top lid is off - It's in my garage. Is this ok or am I setting myself up for problems?

Also, my wife has periodic drug tests at work which includes THC tests, can she possibly absorb anything that would cause a positive test while it's drying when she's in the garage? 

Thanks 

I rate the biltong machine is fine as long as it is not on and dark where the harvest is.

Have you trimmed the bud already? Is it hanging as branches or the whole bush?

12 hours ago, Ill_Evan said:

I rate the biltong machine is fine as long as it is not on and dark where the harvest is.

Have you trimmed the bud already? Is it hanging as branches or the whole bush?

Thanks 

The garage is dark and the machine isn't on, newbie question. What effect would it have if the machine was on? I imagine that it would dry out quicker? 

Yes, I've trimmed the buds and they're hanging as branches. 

48 minutes ago, Nimzowitsch said:

Thanks 

The garage is dark and the machine isn't on, newbie question. What effect would it have if the machine was on? I imagine that it would dry out quicker? 

Yes, I've trimmed the buds and they're hanging as branches. 

Yes, the bud would dry too quickly as the biltong dryer has a fan which pulls air directly over the biltong if I am not mistaken?

If it dries too quickly, there is not enough time for the enzymes to breakdown what they need to (I think it is the sugars and chlorophyll) and this can lead to a harsh smoke.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

Yes, the bud would dry too quickly as the biltong dryer has a fan which pulls air directly over the biltong if I am not mistaken?

If it dries too quickly, there is not enough time for the enzymes to breakdown what they need to (I think it is the sugars and chlorophyll) and this can lead to a harsh smoke.

Thanks 

Ok so best to let it take its own course then. 

More or less how long am I looking at before it's ready for me? 

1 minute ago, Nimzowitsch said:

Thanks 

Ok so best to let it take its own course then. 

More or less how long am I looking at before it's ready for me? 

Well, the drying process will probably take 3 - 5 days, as I doubt they will be perfect.

Then it is best to throw the bud into a jar with a boveda pack to regulate the humidity and let it cure or a bit, most recommend at least 3 weeks but you could start smoking it after it has dried - but wait if you are able to.

1 minute ago, PsyCLown said:

Well, the drying process will probably take 3 - 5 days, as I doubt they will be perfect.

Then it is best to throw the bud into a jar with a boveda pack to regulate the humidity and let it cure or a bit, most recommend at least 3 weeks but you could start smoking it after it has dried - but wait if you are able to.

Cool - I'm in no rush for it so will let it take its time. 

This is them.....

1838280105_Pic7.thumb.jpg.ca08fe43669ad1db75893f795310b7f0.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

Never heard of a Boveda pack before but a quick Google search revealed a place down the road from where I am that stocks it so... Thanks. 

Hi again all

So this is what one of the buds looks like now - After almost 3 days of drying..

1919091260_Pic10.thumb.jpg.5aadcdf4d2103061edb7a65790695c32.jpg

It feels dry to the touch but I suspect that I should leave it for the recommended 5-7 days.

At which point does it start taking on the appearance of weed that you would buy from your local guy. I mean, more compact and tight. Is this maybe where the curing comes in? I'm a newbie so just guessing...

Something like this...

408130763_Pic11.jpg.2f8e1232d5d0c04935c817e201c458cd.jpg

Thanks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ill_Evan said:

If it feels dry to the touch I would consider jarring and burping once every day. Keep the jars in a cool dry place out of sunlight.

Thanks. Is this where it starts to take "shape" as in the second pic. 

Apologies for all the questions, complete newbie. 

Thanks 

Thanks. Is this where it starts to take "shape" as in the second pic. 

Apologies for all the questions, complete newbie. 

Thanks 

Howzit Nimzo,

Drying and curing your buds requires as much care as growing it.

1.The bud needs to be trimmed and dried.

3-7 days depending on humidity.

2.Then cut from the branches and bottled in airtight containers and burped/aired every day. Keep in a cool dark place.

3.Humidity needs to be monitored and kept between 55 and 65% for proper curing to happen.

(I use a humidity gauge, but you can use humidity packs like boveda)

If the buds dry out too much initially you may affect/stop the curing process.

4. Start testing your bud for smokability/ smoothness. For edibles this isnt terribly important I think.

I cure for 3 weeks before I fire up a test spliff.

It's a bit of a process, but once you get the hang of it, it's not so complicated.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bospatrollie2 said:

Howzit,

Wanted to add something I learnt/saw/heard....

The best bud in the world can be rendered unsmokable with a bad cure.

Mediocre bud can be turned into the best bud with a perfect cure.

Thanks

I started curing yesterday evening..put it in the back of a cupboard.

1500837778_Pic12.thumb.jpg.b04752bee937bb2029101214e2d534d0.jpg

Opened up the jar a bit earlier, smells very strong and the buds are sticky - I'm guessing/hoping that's a good thing?

Thanks

Pic 11.jpg

Thanks I started curing yesterday evening..put it in the back of a cupboard.

1500837778_Pic12.thumb.jpg.b04752bee937bb2029101214e2d534d0.jpg

Opened up the jar a bit earlier, smells very strong and the buds are sticky - I'm guessing/hoping that's a good thing?

Thanks

451152609_Pic11.jpg.afb8300fc4dc802975bb9e9d2a3c871d.jpg

Keep the jar in a cool dark place away from heat and sunlight/UV. Cupboard is cool. You want around 20deg C temperature wise. Stable temp is key and burp the jar every day. 

You will need to control humidity (RH),

either with humidity packs or an RH gauge.

If the bud is too wet - over 65%, you risk mould.( Will be a complete waste )

If it's too dry - lower than 50/55%, the curing process stops/slows down.

The chlorophil doesn't break down and you may end up with a harsh/throat burning smoke.

What I have noticed, as the curing continues the scent changes and starts smelling less and less as it cures. (Until you grind it...)

And the colour changes from shades of green to golden/tan/dry grass colour.

There is lots of literature on the net about drying and curing cannabis. Knowledge is power.

We have some Swazi Gold that is coming up on 12 months cure.

Awesome stuff........(of course we sampled it)

7 minutes ago, Bospatrollie2 said:

Keep the jar in a cool dark place away from heat and sunlight/UV. Cupboard is cool. You want around 20deg C temperature wise. Stable temp is key and burp the jar every day. 

You will need to control humidity (RH),

either with humidity packs or an RH gauge.

If the bud is too wet - over 65%, you risk mould.( Will be a complete waste )

If it's too dry - lower than 50/55%, the curing process stops/slows down.

The chlorophil doesn't break down and you may end up with a harsh/throat burning smoke.

What I have noticed, as the curing continues the scent changes and starts smelling less and less as it cures. (Until you grind it...)

And the colour changes from shades of green to golden/tan/dry grass colour.

There is lots of literature on the net about drying and curing cannabis. Knowledge is power.

We have some Swazi Gold that is coming up on 12 months cure.

Awesome stuff.emoji16.png.......(of course we sampled it)

Great, thanks for replying. 

I found a place down the road from me that sells those boveda packs, I'm gonna get some on Monday.