First grow - Flop?

Nimzowitsch

Hello All

I started my first grow a while back. 

These were the 2 that I was most proud of in my entire grow. 

Looking at this first pic, both plants looked like this which besides the leave discoloration, seems ok to me - Heads look good etc.  

520356210_Pic1.thumb.jpg.fca069937efdd8719a12ffb647ae0fc4.jpg

Then yesterday, I noticed that the second plant took a dramatic turn an no longer looks like the above. It looks like this now. 

646397026_Pic3.thumb.jpg.6533c2b0dd51eaed8b50b0de32cae5e4.jpg

2107733230_Pic2.thumb.jpg.9588bade81e8ab902f770605ee2285af.jpg

Something looks very wrong to me, it's as if the heads disappeared. Highly confused. 

On close inspection, lots and lots of these little "pods" are all over. 

It's confusing because these plants looked the same (first pic) a day ago and almost overnight the one completely changed. 

Any idea what happened here?

Thanks 

• Confused 1

Afternoon Nimzo,

Are the plants outdoors?
Is the gangly growth at the top new?

The strange growth with the weird leaves suggest that the plant seems to be revegging.

I'm no expert and I'm sure some of the other more experienced members will post their reply's/opinions soon enough.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bospatrollie2 said:

Afternoon Nimzo,

Are the plants outdoors?
Is the gangly growth at the top new?

The strange growth with the weird leaves suggest that the plant seems to be revegging.

I'm no expert and I'm sure some of the other more experienced members will post their reply's/opinions soon enough.

Cheers

Thanks for replying. 

Plants are outdoors and the gangly growth at the top is new. 

Could this be a flop or should I just wait it out? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

I suspect the plant may be revegging due to the increase in hours of light. The other plant may follow suit as well.

Unless you step in and force the plants to flower, they will only go into flower next year, I think around Feb / March.

Thanks 

I started harvesting the other one and it's drying now. 

How do I force this one to flower now? 

Thanks

• Like 1

As a reference - This is what it looked like a few weeks back. 
1023017802_Pic5.thumb.jpg.75928366b6c038b814126ae178429161.jpg 

1004540824_Pic6.thumb.jpg.a635bb9cb069911ee53ca40166b5e3a4.jpg

Another thing I noticed was that this one has reddish stems but I noticed this from the very beginning. Don't know if this is relevant or not.

There are a number of varying opinions wrt red stems.
I've had a number of plants with varying degrees of red colouration, from leaf stems to main and secondary branches.
Plants were healthy and growing well and yielded good bud.

• Agree 1

Looks like revegging, agreed. I first thought it might've hermied but reveg seems more logical.

You could either just chop the plant or if you want to try save it you can dedicate yourself to limiting it's light consumption but you may have do this for a while to get a reasonable outcome. Just decide how bad you want to save it.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Ill_Evan said:

Looks like revegging, agreed. I first thought it might've hermied but reveg seems more logical.

You could either just chop the plant or if you want to try save it you can dedicate yourself to limiting it's light consumption but you may have do this for a while to get a reasonable outcome. Just decide how bad you want to save it.

Hermied = Became hermaphrodite?

A friend was at my place last week and he said that he can see that my crop has become pollinated (He's a little more clued up than I am). I'm not expert but I'm pretty sure that I removed all the males when I started this process.

Can this be related?

Thanks 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nimzowitsch said:

A friend was at my place last week and he said that he can see that my crop has become pollinated (He's a little more clued up than I am). I'm not expert but I'm pretty sure that I removed all the males when I started this process.

Can this be related?

Thanks 

No if the plant was pollinated or not wouldn't affect the plant re-vegging.

Also others in your area may have had males which spread pollen to your plants. So even if you have no male plants, your plants can still become pollinated unfortunately. The risk is a bit higher outdoors compared to indoors, but it is possible for this to happen with an indoor grow if you do not have filters to remove the pollen - I do not many (if any) of us have filters which will catch and trap the pollen.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Nimzowitsch said:

Can this be related?

Thanks 

Yes hermie = hermaphrodite

If your plants stay outdoors there's always a chance of some kind of pollination just from males that grow in your neighbourhood

1 hour ago, Ill_Evan said:

If I chop it, is there any bother is drying it out still? 

13 minutes ago, Nimzowitsch said:

If I chop it, is there any bother is drying it out still? 

Well, if you want to smoke the bud then you would still need to dry it.

You could use the fresh bud to make bubble hash though I believe, have not done this myself.

13 minutes ago, Nimzowitsch said:

Thanks 

What's the worst case scenario when this happens? 

A hermie is a plant which has both male and female parts, so the plant will pollinate itself.

Once a plant has become pollinated / seeded, it spend more energy on forming the seeds and the quality of the bud tends to decrease... Plus smoking seeded bud is frustrating and more of a hassle.

• Agree 1

Hey man.

This is my option of what happened to your plant. Your plant was in late flower but due to the light cycle peaking above 12 hours (late spring) it started to reveg, you can clearly see this with the abnormal growth, it's called fox tailing. I do not think your plant was pollinated by a male, but pollinated itself (hermie), this can be caused by stressing the plant to the extend that its defensive mechanism kicks in to reproduce automatically, usually it only produces a few seeds.

The only way you will be able to "save" the plant is by harvesting early or by putting it in a grow tent with 18/6 or 20/4 lighting.

If you are in the Western Cape, the new outdoor grow season has started, cut your losses and plant a few new seeds.

Anyway, just my opinion...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Stoukie said:

Hey man.

This is my option of what happened to your plant. Your plant was in late flower but due to the light cycle peaking above 12 hours (late spring) it started to reveg, you can clearly see this with the abnormal growth, it's called fox tailing. I do not think your plant was pollinated by a male, but pollinated itself (hermie), this can be caused by stressing the plant to the extend that its defensive mechanism kicks in to reproduce automatically, usually it only produces a few seeds.

The only way you will be able to "save" the plant is by harvesting early or by putting it in a grow tent with 18/6 or 20/4 lighting.

If you are in the Western Cape, the new outdoor grow season has started, cut your losses and plant a few new seeds.

Anyway, just my opinion...

Thanks

I think I'm gonna cut it down this evening and save what I can.

Is any of this even smokeable? 

18 hours ago, SkunkPharm said:

Jip that is revegging. You have 2 choices harvest and save what you can or trans plant it into a bigger container and let is grow to harvest april may.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

This was my first time growing and only this specific plant went balls up.

I'm not gonna wait unit next year to harvest, I'd rather start from scratch and maybe learn from this.

Speaking of which, how do I avoid this next time?

Thanks 

This was my first time growing and only this specific plant went balls up.
I'm not gonna wait unit next year to harvest, I'd rather start from scratch and maybe learn from this.
Speaking of which, how do I avoid this next time?

Thanks 
Don't plant outdoors in winter. Now is the perfect time to plant outdoors.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk