What do you wish someone told you when you first started growing?

WannabeGrower

Question

23 answers to this question

Man there is a lot:

• Always PH your water, even if it's an organic grow
  • Don't waste your time with lemon juice and bicab, use proper PH up and PH down (it won't really affect the microbes)
  • Do not waste your money on a cheap PH pen, get a good one outright
  • Don't waste your money on a humidity dome - not needed for seedlings or cuttings
  • There are great, cheap nutrients out there - BioBizz isn't necessarily the best and certainly not the most cost effective
  • Good genetics are worth the money, the US has some top shelf genetics. Look there for good shit, over the Netherlands
  • Watering is a PITA - get an automated watering system sooner than later
  • Fork out money for good lights!!
  • Organic grows are not really "better" than grows which do not make use of soil and/or organic nutrients

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

I believe their are very good local strains and there are guys who have selected very good phenotypes that they breed with and they are trying to preserve our local strains. Problem is we don't have space to grow out a thousand plants and selecting 10 or 15 to breed with. Legality is still the problem. I have heard of guys growing high thcv strains. But they are keeping those strains for themselves.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

• Agree 2

• Understanding Genetics/Breeders: Starting out I was under the impression GSC was GSC and Chemdawg was Chemdawg... I wish someone had explained the importance of breeder cuts used in the genetics. Having the same name, doesn't mean it's the same cut. I wish someone had told me that just because I see an awesome picture of a strain it doesn't mean that the breeder is good. 
  • The death of Dutch Genetics: I wish someone had told me earlier how so many of the popular Dutch seed banks that built up a reputation in the 90s, were fucked by government back in the mid 2000s, and that they lost most of their genetics in the process. I wish someone had told me that most of those breeders started selling Spanish bulk genetics as their own to replace the cup winning strains from the 90s. The US breeders are years ahead of EU genetics now days (sans 1 or 2 high end breeders), there's a reason why the stuff being sold now have completely different terp profiles to what that same strain carried a few decades ago.
  • IPMs: I started out thinking that you treat a pest when it's there. Preventative IPMs are so important.
  • Explaining Phenotypes: I long lived with this idea that a strain was what one is after, and once you have the strain you're good. I wish I knew that the strain is really only such a small part of the grow. Finding the pheno that you want from that lineage is far more important than the strain itself. Just because my buddy grew a fire Spumoni, doesn't mean I'll get a good one if I pop a pack.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

For me the most important aspects of a successful grow is quality lights, soil and genetics.

So when starting out (indoor) invest in a quality light, when going outdoors you already have a quality light, the sun, so invest time and money in soil, either make your own or buy from a reputable source. Lastly genetics, fork out a few bucks for quality genetics, I mean you going to spend allot of time looking after the plant, might as well be worth it at the end. Not saying a random bagseed will not produce quality buds, but at the end of the day it's a bagseed, nothing more...

• Like 1

My 2c on the topic...

Wish someone told me that these plants hate been over cared for... especially in the beginning. When they pop their little selves out their shells, just leave them alone. Give them a few weeks and then you can start poking and pinching.

With regards to genetics... if you want to grow "local Landrace" then we only talking about 1 really, Durban Poison. And you better off buying DP seeds from a seed bank. If you want to grow bag seed indoors then you basically wasting money. It would be cheaper to go buy more of that weed. Electricity, Nutrients and many many other things becomes costly very quickly. Another mistake would be to grow that seed you found in indoor weed. 95% chance it was from a hermie.

The next part I will surely get some criticism but it's for everyone that's a similar grower to me(1000W hps lights/aircons/dehumidifiers/etc). The main thing I wish someone told me that if I want to grow the FIRE, I need to bite the bullet and buy regular seeds from true breeders. They crazy expensive but still way cheaper then many of the other components of a grow we fork out money for. 

Peace my brothers. I'm very passionate about this plant and my hopes are that one-day we will have all the BEST genetics floating around locally and we won't have to look at buying seeds from abroad. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

15 hours ago, Vanessa said:

To make sure your Mothers you clone from have strong good genetics and the only way you can tell is by cloning first and then watching the crop. It takes time and effort.

I agree. Keep the clone and flower the mother thou... You don't want to be keeping a big plant thats is in its prime growing stage around only to find its average. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, trichomechaser said:
  • Understanding Genetics/Breeders: Starting out I was under the impression GSC was GSC and Chemdawg was Chemdawg... I wish someone had explained the importance of breeder cuts used in the genetics. Having the same name, doesn't mean it's the same cut. I wish someone had told me that just because I see an awesome picture of a strain it doesn't mean that the breeder is good. 
  • The death of Dutch Genetics: I wish someone had told me earlier how so many of the popular Dutch seed banks that built up a reputation in the 90s, were fucked by government back in the mid 2000s, and that they lost most of their genetics in the process. I wish someone had told me that most of those breeders started selling Spanish bulk genetics as their own to replace the cup winning strains from the 90s. The US breeders are years ahead of EU genetics now days (sans 1 or 2 high end breeders), there's a reason why the stuff being sold now have completely different terp profiles to what that same strain carried a few decades ago.
  • IPMs: I started out thinking that you treat a pest when it's there. Preventative IPMs are so important.
  • Explaining Phenotypes: I long lived with this idea that a strain was what one is after, and once you have the strain you're good. I wish I knew that the strain is really only such a small part of the grow. Finding the pheno that you want from that lineage is far more important than the strain itself. Just because my buddy grew a fire Spumoni, doesn't mean I'll get a good one if I pop a pack.

Some good advice this, although certainly not for everyone.

Some are happy just to get something to smoke and do not care much as to what it is they're smoking.