DIY amended substrate mix

Mr.Kaneh

Hi Guys/Gals

so I've tried expanding and growing in larger pots and hit my initial limit of how much I would ideally like to spend on my grows. As great as these “designer” soils are, there has to be a sure thing for the cheapie diy grower out there. 

So ive scurried arround and found everything the internet says(which isn’t all too expensive when looking at the cost per 30dm bag of soil vs individual amendments)

now just the ratios of mixing in 

-Bonemeal

-Worm castings

-Compost

-Lime

-Mycorr

-Kelpmeal

-Rockdust

so im going with a coco/perlite/(still deciding) base...

Advise... what to add, what to ditch, any pointers on where to go from here??

this for an indoor grow using 20liter plastic pots

Edited by Mr.Kaneh

I went with pure coco/perlite and am very happy.

I'd say do pure coco/perlite, once you start adding other things to it you are moving towards an soil + additives grow. I.e. coco/perlite has the ideal water to air retention you don't really want to mess with that. If you want to do soil + coco etc, then you should treat that as a soil grow IMO.

If that is what you are interested in then take a look at the articles (podcasts too) at: https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/toc/#growing-cannabis 

I'm no expert, just about to finish my first coco grow. But I'm happy to try help / point you in the right direction if you need any help

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 2:23 PM, highchome said:

I went with pure coco/perlite and am very happy.

I'd say do pure coco/perlite, once you start adding other things to it you are moving towards an soil + additives grow. I.e. coco/perlite has the ideal water to air retention you don't really want to mess with that. If you want to do soil + coco etc, then you should treat that as a soil grow IMO.

If that is what you are interested in then take a look at the articles (podcasts too) at: https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/toc/#growing-cannabis 

I'm no expert, just about to finish my first coco grow. But I'm happy to try help / point you in the right direction if you need any help

Atm Im flowering out using coco/perlite/hydroclay pebbles and some compost. Also a DIY mix.. 

My problems with coco and perlite start when the nutes i feed dont “hit the spot” and deficiencies start popping up. 

I want to move to a slow release type of grow... i tend to neglect every now and then. Will do a comparative grow with the upcoming cycle. Liquid Nutes vs Slow release. Side by side from clone. Trying to stay as cost effective as possible. 

Will def check out the article, thanks mate✊🏾🔥

2 hours ago, Mr.Kaneh said:

I want to move to a slow release type of grow... i tend to neglect every now and then

Right, yeah, coco/perlite is not the best option for that then 😛. I think you can occasionally push it to three or so day without watering but thats about it. The advantage of pure coco/perlite is that you have more control and can change/fix things faster. The cost is that you need to be more hands on, at least once a day watering, EC checks etc. For me the benefits outweigh the downsides, actually I like fiddling so there is no downside 🙂, but it does not sound like it will work for you

2 hours ago, Mr.Kaneh said:

Atm Im flowering out using coco/perlite/hydroclay pebbles and some compost. Also a DIY mix.. 

Ah, right. So the theory with coco/perlite is that 30-50% perlite with good washed coco (peat/fine bits removed is that that mix holds just the right amount of water but also oxygen. If you add other things to the mix then you are no longer in that sweet spot and all bets are off. But as above it did not sound like a good fit anyway

Please let us know what you do decide on and how it goes? Its always interesting to see all the different techniques and I'm sure I'll try a different style sometime 🙂