help needed with purple stems please

nakes

Hi everyone I have this issue with this one White widow clown that have purple stems. I have  the same clone that dont have this issue. I think it's a nutrient deficiency but which one? Any ideas?. Been feeding them kelpak and compost tea. The plant with the purple stems was in Coco purlite mix when I got it from highcome. I transplanted it in soil but kept the Coco perlite mix. I've read somewhere online this is common with Coco. Any of the more experienced guys that can give some info please.

IMG_20191011_120931.jpg

• Like 2

I'm by no mean experienced but according to me, if the plant is growing fine and not showing any other deficiencies other that the purple stems it could be either weather (cold) or a phenotype of the strain... I would not worry to much, if the only issue you have is purple stems then you are okay 😛

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Purple stems are very rarely genetic and are more stripey purple than a solid purple. 

I would give the good ol calmag a go. 

If you don't have any handy... It's chilled, I'm more wanting the mag in the cal mag... 

Purple stems like that are directly related to a magnesium deficiency and is easily corrected with Epsom salts. 

You can get some from pnp for about 20 bucks... And it will last quite some time. 

Mix as directed on the box and the plants will get better. 

New growth on the stems should become nice and green again... And over time the old stems will go green too

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@nakes before you go heavy on the epsomsalts, let me mention purpling on the stems, could mean a variety of things, assuming it is not a purple strain, also assuming it is not a plant busy finishing up in flower.

So assuming the above it is usually a Ph problem in your medium, I have been playing around with cocopeat for a couple of months now. What happens is at the wrong PH your plants start absorbing elements it does not like so much of like iron etc, usually responsible for the red veins in the leaves, and blocking out things it needs. There are some infographs here on the forum showing what gets absorbed at what PH. 

Figure out PH and EC in the pots  first and go from there, would be my advice. I try keep coco around 5.8 - 6 ph.

Was your Coco buffered with calcium nitrate? If not you might have to do a flush with calmag+, or a 1:1 flush with RO water, then a lower stregth nutrient solution if the calmag is already contained in the product.

Edited by Dank
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, nakes said:

Do I give the Epsom salt water daily or every other day? And thanks guys for the I put.

Start out foliar feeding I would say, adding more salts into the medium could make matters worse I feel. What do you think @CreX ?

EDIT: reread the thread and realised they are not getting all their food, in especially their mag like crex mentioned. I would still monitor ph tho.

Edited by Dank

8 hours ago, nakes said:

Do I give the Epsom salt water daily or every other day? And thanks guys for the I put.

I wouldn't go in with every watering... 

Luckily it's very hard to overdose with magnesium... But it can happen... 

I would make do a magnesium feed once a month with one of your feeds. 

Not sure if you have a ppm meter, but aim for 400ppm... Which is not much... 

If you don't have one... It's okay... Go in at a good sized table spoon measure per 10l water and that should help. 

I doubt you will use all 10l on one plant... But by the sounds of it, all your plants could benifit from a mag boost. 

I agree with @Dank on the Foliar spray... It will help ease the plant up a bit... But the soil drench is needed. 

As for the salts, Epsom salts are a vitally important salt for any soil.. I agree... Not knowing what you are putting into the soil could really muck things up. But I think he is safe with this one😜

• Agree 2