Introduction

1000Hills Nursery

1 hour ago, Mambawana said:

Hi my fellow South Africans.

Greetings from Durban.

Don't know any other serious growers.

Looking forward to making new friends and sharing our genetics.

Peace from the East😎

Woah bro!! Greetings dude😜✌️

Hit us with what you have going at the moment! 

And feel free to look around and feel at home! 

Well I have about 10 strains going atm namely Gorilla Girl, Sweet Orange Cookies, GSC, Wedding Cake, Granddaddy Confidential, Purple Diesel Daze, Mandarins Cookie Sherbet, White Widow, Grape Kush, Lemon OG and some 1to1 CBD strains.

I got 2 x 3000W Flower rooms running on a flip flop system. I grow in coco and atm I'm using Floracoco nutes but I'm trying some powder blends on a few plants this run.

All my strains are from feminised seeds. Going forward I only plan on buying regular seeds preferably F1's so that I have clean genetics to sift.

Happy growing everyone. Looking forward to hearing what you guys are doing in your gardens

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mambawana said:

Well I have about 10 strains going atm namely Gorilla Girl, Sweet Orange Cookies, GSC, Wedding Cake, Granddaddy Confidential, Purple Diesel Daze, Mandarins Cookie Sherbet, White Widow, Grape Kush, Lemon OG and some 1to1 CBD strains.

I got 2 x 3000W Flower rooms running on a flip flop system. I grow in coco and atm I'm using Floracoco nutes but I'm trying some powder blends on a few plants this run.

All my strains are from feminised seeds. Going forward I only plan on buying regular seeds preferably F1's so that I have clean genetics to sift.

Happy growing everyone. Looking forward to hearing what you guys are doing in your gardens

Very nice! I am also currently using feminised seeds in my current harvest, also planning on popping some regular seeds on the next one. Hopefully luck is with us and we get females all round 😄

Welcome.

What lights are you running exactly? 3000W output on LED's is some serious lighting and would cover a huuuge area - around 7 sqm, is it those blurple lights which are overrated perhaps?

Please start a grow diary and show off your grow!! :D

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Agree 1

Hi guys. Been busy with harvesting and reseting. Will be flipping the girls in a few days and will take pics at day 1. 1 of my wedding cake has a crazy mutation i.e. 4way branching at each node. It's growing very vigorously but I'm a bit concerned about it's stability as it's an S1. I really wish I knew how to get my hands on some quality regular seeds. Suggestions? (Pls don't state the obvious Dutch passion, barneys farm, etc). Alternatively if I could make some grower friends locally that we can share genetics. My Gorilla Girl and Sweet orange cookies are quality cuts.

Can't afford decent LEDS so for now I'm running 1000W HPS with magnetic ballasts. I've been using the cheap acdc hps lamps with decent success. Nutrients is my other headache atm. Really battling to find a more cost effective way that works how it's supposed too.

Peace brothers...

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 8:22 AM, Mambawana said:

Hi guys. Been busy with harvesting and reseting. Will be flipping the girls in a few days and will take pics at day 1. 1 of my wedding cake has a crazy mutation i.e. 4way branching at each node. It's growing very vigorously but I'm a bit concerned about it's stability as it's an S1. I really wish I knew how to get my hands on some quality regular seeds. Suggestions? (Pls don't state the obvious Dutch passion, barneys farm, etc). Alternatively if I could make some grower friends locally that we can share genetics. My Gorilla Girl and Sweet orange cookies are quality cuts.

Can't afford decent LEDS so for now I'm running 1000W HPS with magnetic ballasts. I've been using the cheap acdc hps lamps with decent success. Nutrients is my other headache atm. Really battling to find a more cost effective way that works how it's supposed too.

Peace brothers...

https://www.darkhorsegenetics.com

Just one breeder I know of who have really good regular seeds... Although I think Worlds Strongest Strains also does regulars, I'd look into their stuff too.

Otherwise you can always reverse a female with STS to get pollen from her and then breed and create feminized seeds.

Regarding nutrients, BioBizz isn't terribly priced for organic, otherwise Hortimix is cheap.

• Like 1

I'm looking for good regular seeds from our local breeders with some F1s. The problem is who here has the FIRE.

Hortimix is not good nutes for flowering cannabis. They work alright in veg. Unfortunately the only nutes mix that work 100% for coco is the flora series bloom and micro, greenhouse feeding company's Calcium, Epsom salts and chellated iron from builders. Very expensive exercise when you have to mix a 200ltr reservoir daily. I don't know anyone growing so all my learning has come from trial and error. With error taking 1st place a lot of the time. Wish I could go back to my 2 bucket rdwc that only costed R700 in nutes a grow.

I know there are many out there that are killing it. Please share on what you guys are doing with regards to nutes for coco.

8 hours ago, Mambawana said:

@420sakeThere's a kzn club that has meets? If this is true I would love to attend. I still love growing outdoor organic. Just don't like the flippin spidermites... stupid insect. Lol.

Lol - its the next best thing @Mambawana  -  we have a private club we can do some serious local support in on the board. I will send you an invite.

Also new here (last few months...) and learning all this new data to up my own genetics and efforts of growing. Seems we two have a similar passion, as I would really like to steam up some old strains that made Durban famous in the world. I grow my own sort of "landrace" strain here for the last 15 years now, but I am convinced that the genetics can be improved. Long story....

Them little spider mites also have a remedy. I am glad to be free of them here for now. Practice best hygiene when I can. Outdoors is more forgiving I guess. 

Yeah I do really love growing. When it comes to spending money on myself... All of it goes into the garden. 

I'm really excited to meet fellow growers. For the most part I feel alone as a grower. My mates that grow learnt from the little I know and grow my genetics.

My outdoor grow last season was hit by spidermites and mealie bugs in late flower. I usually practice good ipm management with my Biogrow products but that grow I didn't spray my plants because I woke up 1 morning to +-50 baby chameleons all over my 2 trees. Truly amazing site. By the time the chameleons all went their own way I couldn't spray as flower had kicked in.

I'm running almost a week late on flipping my current grow into flower. I noticed some thrips damage a few days ago so decided on dealing with that 1st. I've sprayed them 2 times already. 1st with biopyrol and then bioneem 2 days later. My leaves have taken a bit of a beating due to how hard I sprayed them but they looking healthier today. I'm going to spray them 1 more time today and then hopefully flip tomorrow or else I will be harvesting Christmas week if I wait longer.

But anyways guys I apologise for all the essays. I just have alot that has happened in my gardens that I haven't had anyone to tell. Thanks for listening.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Mambawana said:

I'm looking for good regular seeds from our local breeders with some F1s. The problem is who here has the FIRE.

Hortimix is not good nutes for flowering cannabis. They work alright in veg. Unfortunately the only nutes mix that work 100% for coco is the flora series bloom and micro, greenhouse feeding company's Calcium, Epsom salts and chellated iron from builders. Very expensive exercise when you have to mix a 200ltr reservoir daily. I don't know anyone growing so all my learning has come from trial and error. With error taking 1st place a lot of the time. Wish I could go back to my 2 bucket rdwc that only costed R700 in nutes a grow.

I know there are many out there that are killing it. Please share on what you guys are doing with regards to nutes for coco.

Local regular seeds, reach out to @greenkush his GDP and Bruce Banner are top notch. I have just finished growing out both of those, I posted pics of them in my diary over here:

Otherwise I am not a particularly big fan of local seeds, like the fire stuff from overseas and find myself growing more American breeders genetics now.

The seeds Greenkush had their parents originate from overseas.

Regarding the hortimix, please elaborate on why you don't feel its good for flower? Their bloom booster is MPK which works pretty well and is comparable to products such as Ripen for the most part.

I have heard the Flora series isn't that great and lacks a bit and needs to be supplemented with a few things. I suspect their bloom to be very similar to the Hortimix MPK. I personally have not tried Flora series though so am not speaking from experience, just the experience of others which I have heard of.

I assume you dose your nutes according to PPM or EC?

I agree on American genetics. Particularly everything from northern California... Humboldt, Mendocino etc. I mean look at the videos on youtube. My last 2 parcels have been seized by customs so I'm wary of losing more money. 

Hortimix mkp is definitely a pk booster. The problem with it is it binds with their part B calcium nitrate at higher doses then what they recommend. And in order for hortimix to work as a flowering nutrient mathematically you would have to dose their 3 parts at a ratio of

1partA-2partsB-5partsC.

This would give you an npk of +- 

10-30-38. Sounds like a workable npk right?

Those 5 parts that you add of mkp bearly changes the EC. The calcium and phosphorus lockout and actually settle at the bottom of the reservoir. I've diluted each part even further then their recommendations and then mixed into reservoir. No luck. I even replaced my tds meter. Impossible to achieve target EC.

The flora series micro and bloom have worked the best for me as base nutrients. It just doesn't have enough calcium and I think it's too diluted. Besides in coco I also had to supplement calcium in dwc. I think it would be fine in soil. Right at this moment I'm using floracoco. I don't like it but I'm going to use it till it's finished. The powdered nutes I'm testing are from Haifa Nutrients. It's actually called their Spliff range.

Guys please know I stand to be corrected if I have been using the hortimix wrong. At its price I would love if it can work for me.

• Like 1

I agree on American genetics. Particularly everything from northern California... Humboldt, Mendocino etc. I mean look at the videos on youtube. My last 2 parcels have been seized by customs so I'm wary of losing more money. 
Hortimix mkp is definitely a pk booster. The problem with it is it binds with their part B calcium nitrate at higher doses then what they recommend. And in order for hortimix to work as a flowering nutrient mathematically you would have to dose their 3 parts at a ratio of
1partA-2partsB-5partsC.
This would give you an npk of +- 
10-30-38. Sounds like a workable npk right?
Those 5 parts that you add of mkp bearly changes the EC. The calcium and phosphorus lockout and actually settle at the bottom of the reservoir. I've diluted each part even further then their recommendations and then mixed into reservoir. No luck. I even replaced my tds meter. Impossible to achieve target EC.
The flora series micro and bloom have worked the best for me as base nutrients. It just doesn't have enough calcium and I think it's too diluted. Besides in coco I also had to supplement calcium in dwc. I think it would be fine in soil. Right at this moment I'm using floracoco. I don't like it but I'm going to use it till it's finished. The powdered nutes I'm testing are from Haifa Nutrients. It's actually called their Spliff range.
Guys please know I stand to be corrected if I have been using the hortimix wrong. At its price I would love if it can work for me.

Interesting, I know they said somewhere that part A and B shouldn't be mixed together without being diluted otherwise it will fall out of suspension - as you experienced in your res and then it sits in the bottom.

I've mixed high doses of mpk with calmag (not their part B) without noticing issues.
I'll be playing around with thr Hortimix a bit more going forward.

I assume it's the type of P, K and Calcium which is present in the mix in which case it could happen with other nutes too using the same "type" of nutrient.

Spliff 1, 2, 3.pdfI like the calmag from hydroponics.co.za in veg. It gets the plants green and lush very quickly. It did give me nitrogen toxicity in flower thou my 1st run with it. Now I stop using it around day 14.

Yes hortimix needs to be diluted. The mkp is the most diluted part @ 125g/5ltrs. I dilute it even further from this initial dilution. I put my required amount into 20litre water and then add to reservoir. I think according to hortimix they recommend never exceeding 3ml or something per litre of Part C even when parts A and B are dosed at 13ml/ltr. I haven't used this Haifa spiff samples in flower yet but I'm pretty anxious to see how it does.

• Like 1

Spliff 1, 2, 3.pdfI like the calmag from hydroponics.co.za in veg. It gets the plants green and lush very quickly. It did give me nitrogen toxicity in flower thou my 1st run with it. Now I stop using it around day 14.
Yes hortimix needs to be diluted. The mkp is the most diluted part @ 125g/5ltrs. I dilute it even further from this initial dilution. I put my required amount into 20litre water and then add to reservoir. I think according to hortimix they recommend never exceeding 3ml or something per litre of Part C even when parts A and B are dosed at 13ml/ltr. I haven't used this Haifa spiff samples in flower yet but I'm pretty anxious to see how it does.
I am not listening to their guide, it's super weak if done that way.
I measure according to my desired EC, if I had to follow their guide I fear my plants will start showing terrible deficincies.

I have actually mixed my mpk solution stronger so I can use less concentrate to reach my desired EC. I mixed 500g into 6L of water.

Then I add until I reach the EC I want.
I also don't run nitrogen throughout flower. I like to cut it earlier on and then use just P and K and then flush.

How has your veg been when using hortimix according to their guide? Also their dosage does not give you the EC they suggest on thr table.

To get to an EC of 1.0 I probably use around 40ml of A and 40ml of B into I think it was 7 or 8L of water. I had to got pretty heavy. Next time I'd like to try mix the concentrates stronger, would need to find the saturation point for the nutes.

In veg I use 1.5ltrs of A, 1.5ltrs B and about 200ml of C into my 200ltr res.(+-180ltrs of water).

My water comes out the tap @120ppm. These nutes take it to +-800ppm. 

To be quite honest my plants are slightly leaning towards the lime green side with these nutes. The calmag I add in every other feeding @200ppm greens my plants up and compensates for what's lacking in hortimix which is probably magnesium.

In veg I use 1.5ltrs of A, 1.5ltrs B and about 200ml of C into my 200ltr res.(+-180ltrs of water).
My water comes out the tap @120ppm. These nutes take it to +-800ppm. 
To be quite honest my plants are slightly leaning towards the lime green side with these nutes. The calmag I add in every other feeding @200ppm greens my plants up and compensates for what's lacking in hortimix which is probably magnesium.
I think part A has 41g of magnesium per kg.
How does that compare against the Flora series?

You suspect you've been ending up with a magnesium deficiency?