Economical extraction

MissMayhem

Hey guys, been researching a bit, but not getting solid answers. What is the cheapest and best yielding form of extraction? Bubble bags seem to be the cheapest to me, but I'm not sure if solvents would provide a better quality and higher yield? Though blasting butane or using food grade ethanol doesn't seem all too cheap. I've  read of people using acetone? And denatured alchol(non food grade) and medical spirits? If the boiling point of the toxins in the non food grade stuff is below 100c wouldn't purging be relatively simple? Thoughts?

9 hours ago, MissMayhem said:

If the boiling point of the toxins in the non food grade stuff is below 100c wouldn't purging be relatively simple?

My concern is that it depends on what the impurities are. If its only the solvent then sure, boiling it off seems like it should work. But as I understand if its not food grade there could be other impurities in whatever you are using (e.g. lead?) and there is no guarantee that those impurities will evaporate. Many people make BHO though so you'll have to decide how important this is for you.

food grade ethanol doesn't seem all too cheap

Its not that cheap. I got 1L for ~R600 😞. However I was surprised how little I used (~100ml ethanol, 30g bud for 6ml oil) . I think keeping the bud and the ethanol in the freezer overnight and doing a single wash will get you pretty good yields for the least amount of ethanol used. 

Bubble bags seem to be the cheapest to me,

Also take a look at dry ice hash. I don't think that is very expensive either. 

Edited by highchome

1 hour ago, highchome said:

My concern is that it depends on what the impurities are. If its only the solvent then sure, boiling it off seems like it should work. But as I understand if its not food grade there could be other impurities in whatever you are using (e.g. lead?) and there is no guarantee that those impurities will evaporate. Many people make BHO though so you'll have to decide how important this is for you.

Its not that cheap. I got 1L for ~R600 😞. However I was surprised how little I used (~100ml ethanol, 30g bud for 6ml oil) . I think keeping the bud and the ethanol in the freezer overnight and doing a single wash will get you pretty good yields for the least amount of ethanol used. 

Also take a look at dry ice hash. I don't think that is very expensive 

What I'm looking for is something that could provide a lot of extract for cheap. The dry sift is also an option, but I have a feeling I would over do it and end up with too much plant matter. Looking for something efficient and foolproof. Which keeps leading me to solvents, and butane seems to be a good choice because of the purity, risk of blowing yourself up is a concern, would have to be extra cautious. I was even considering rosin, getting a press or even constructing one with perhaps a truck jack. But sturdy heating plates are proving to be expensive, though solventless quality extract is still the dream. 

Bubble bags are like R700 for the cheapest options (5 gal). Read the screens are awful though.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

@MissMayhem Buy some awesome new bags made by fullmeltfiltration.co.za. Instead of using  frozen sky juice use dry ice. That is your best way to get most yield. Safest cheapest and best. Unless you have thousands to spend. Butane is for cowboys.Look at using the hash in a rosin press there after. Healthiest and safest.

Edited by Chris Jay