Co2

Za Weed Lover

For co2 to be effective to get the extra 20%, your grow really has to be in pristine shape... 

If any of your variables are out, the co2 becomes almost useless. 

You have to make sure your grow is air tight... 

Temps on point... Humidity in point, nute levels on point... Lighting needs to be on point... 

Also, measuring equipment is very expensive and you can overdo it and damage your plants, and yourself, so some kind of control is vital. 

There are some cool cheap ways to introduce co2, like those natural co2 bottles you shake... Urban naturals or something... 

But to be brutal bro... Unless all your other variables are in place... And on point... You will not get the added 20%...or possibly anything extra... And then you would have wasted some cash

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

So CO2 allows the plant to make use of more light, that is how it works.

It can also be useful as it can help reduce pest issues as they generally need air and co2 will cause them to suffocate.

In order for CO2 to be cost effective, the room needs to be able to fully seal so the CO2 does not escape. I think this is where most people struggle if you are on a budget - which most of us are. If the room is fully sealed then you could easily end up with heat issues due to no extraction of warm air (even from LED's, in a tent it can make a difference for sure).

Also you need certain equipment for CO2 which locally can be rather expensive. A couple of thousands.

I have never given it a try, currently not very set on trying CO2 although that may change sometime in the future. Will have to see.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

i make a R20 CO2 generator (not the prettiest but by far the cheapest), cup of sugar, packet of yeast, 2 empty coke bottles & some surgical tubing. One gets ro water with sugar & yeast, other gets plain tap water. tap water is to filter gases from the yeast bottle & seperate the alcohol from the CO2. the long pipe below can be attached to the back of a fan to enrich the air in a tent or you have the pipes hanging above the plants pouring CO2 over them like rain in a larger space.

Trust if you want your canopy to fill out quickly, add CO2. The problem with not adding CO2, is that at about 600W+ your plants cant use all that light without CO2. I've always seen positive results from adding co2 into a grow, its not going to hurt them, it can only benefit, unless you suffocate them, which you shouldnt if you have decent circulation.

20190905_090655.thumb.jpg.c5717ecbf1b385bf864ec638ef2d7e9c.jpg

• Like 2

pipe goes from Y bottle to TW bottle, pipe sits at about 1cm below the cap in the Y bottle, other end goes into TW bottle & the end should sit about 10cm below the line of the water, the pipe that leads out of the TW bottle, sits abt 1 cm below the cap & can be as long as you like, but shorter is better. i put about a litre in each bottle, & make the RO water abt 30deg C to activate the yeast & dissolve sugar. then change the contents every 2 weeks or so.

I could work it out, but i got it a few years ago from a grower who did the maths & he reckoned one of those are good with 600W, so i add them accordingly, i've only seen rapid improvement when adding them so i've never felt the need to do the maths. its about 360ml/hour +-, but you measure co2 in ppm, which i cant do. i know optimum levels at about 700ppm is ideal & will increase growth by up to 40% when maintained at that level & at a higher temp. 

take it or leave it, i personally found it adds a lot to the grow✌️

• Like 1

One of the reasons why this forum is awesome. Ingenuity.
Very clever and cost effective method to produce CO2. Slow release as well, so no need for regulators.
Could easily be upsized.
And if you had a still.....

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've not seen that in a while 🙂 . I used to do that for aquarium plants. It worked ok-ish there. (Issues were output consistency, short lifespan and no way to switch off at lights out)

Does it work well for a grow room? I'd be a little surprised if it does that well. With aquariums you'd target around 30ppm CO2, atmospheric CO2 isaround 300-400ppm. Thats a big difference. But I have no real idea not having tried it.

But if you are going to try this I'd make a few suggestions

• Try use a good brewers yeast. They produce CO2 for longer since they are less worried about the alcohol levels
  • Google "long lasting diy co2 generator". There are recipes that use molasses / marmite / protein formulas. When I was doing DIY CO2 a mix like that nearly doubled the time the yeast would produce CO2
  • In aquariums the second bottle is to stop yeast getting into the tank (the pipe should be in the water for that to work ideally). Perhaps optional for a tent?
Edited by highchome
  • Like 1

Thanks all, really appreciate the response.
Now my question is, do I really need it. I growing because cannabis is been a constant thing in my life and love it .
I dont really smoke with others, I am a dad . Grow my own to smoke my own.
All I want is the best for me.
Would you say it's more suited for larger operations?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Za Weed Lover said:

Now my question is, do I really need it

Almost definitely not IMO. I think for it to work effectively you need high CO2 a well sealed tent with all the humidity & heat control as @PsyCLown and @CreX were saying. I'm pretty much in the same space as you goal wise, and I certainly would not worry about that. Get the basics right, no need to over-complicate things 🙂.  E.g. I'm going to be doing shorter veg cycles as I don't need large quantities, so faster cycles work better. I'd say keep it simple, and tailor to what you want

Almost definitely not IMO. I think for it to work effectively you need high CO2 a well sealed tent with all the humidity & heat control as @PsyCLown and @CreX were saying. I'm pretty much in the same space as you goal wise, and I certainly would not worry about that. Get the basics right, no need to over-complicate things .  E.g. I'm going to be doing shorter veg cycles as I don't need large quantities, so faster cycles work better. I'd say keep it simple, and tailor to what you want
That's true . Can't afford to seal my room up, that's where I get my O2 from. No way I can afford this at the moment

So CO2 allows the plant to make use of more light, that is how it works.
It can also be useful as it can help reduce pest issues as they generally need air and co2 will cause them to suffocate.

In order for CO2 to be cost effective, the room needs to be able to fully seal so the CO2 does not escape. I think this is where most people struggle if you are on a budget - which most of us are. If the room is fully sealed then you could easily end up with heat issues due to no extraction of warm air (even from LED's, in a tent it can make a difference for sure).

Also you need certain equipment for CO2 which locally can be rather expensive. A couple of thousands.
I have never given it a try, currently not very set on trying CO2 although that may change sometime in the future. Will have to see.
So I am planning on adding another 400w to my grow. It's just because I want to start growing 420 fast buds strains.
Would that be over kill?

2 hours ago, Za Weed Lover said:

So I am planning on adding another 400w to my grow. It's just because I want to start growing 420 fast buds strains.
Would that be over kill?

Well, 400W of what type of lighting? 400W of HPS, 400W CFL and 400W LED are all very different things.

Also "400W" of LED can be misleading at times. Not uncommon to see "1200W" LED fixtures which only give between 120W - 250W. Also what is the size of your grow area?

How many plants do you want to grow etc?

Well, 400W of what type of lighting? 400W of HPS, 400W CFL and 400W LED are all very different things.

Also "400W" of LED can be misleading at times. Not uncommon to see "1200W" LED fixtures which only give between 120W - 250W. Also what is the size of your grow area?
How many plants do you want to grow etc?
I have a 400w HPS and going to add another 400w hoping to eventually use it for a veg/clone room.
Planning on doing 4 plants with longer veg cycle.

Yeah, 400W for veg and 400W for flower - sounds decent.

Just remember heat with HPS is going to be higher, so ensure you are able to keep things cool during summer. Otherwise consider LED if you need to purchase more lights, will help with heat a bit as well as electricity usage - also no need to swap bulbs.

• Like 1

Yeah, 400W for veg and 400W for flower - sounds decent.

Just remember heat with HPS is going to be higher, so ensure you are able to keep things cool during summer. Otherwise consider LED if you need to purchase more lights, will help with heat a bit as well as electricity usage - also no need to swap bulbs.
What would be an equivalent for a 400w hps. Don't know much about LEDs and seems to be a bit out there.
Budget friendly 2

4 minutes ago, Za Weed Lover said:

What would be an equivalent for a 400w hps. Don't know much about LEDs and seems to be a bit out there.
Budget friendly 2

400w HPS is equivalent to about 200 to 250w LED, depending on what LED's they are and so on. 

400w HPS is also equivalent to about 600w to 800w flourecent lighting, to produce similar(not really) bud quality at harvest

400w HPS is about equivalent to a 315CMH...but the CMH is much better tech... 

All depends on your budget 👌👍

• Like 2

On 9/5/2019 at 4:20 PM, highchome said:

I've not seen that in a while 🙂 . I used to do that for aquarium plants. It worked ok-ish there. (Issues were output consistency, short lifespan and no way to switch off at lights out)

Does it work well for a grow room? I'd be a little surprised if it does that well. With aquariums you'd target around 30ppm CO2, atmospheric CO2 isaround 300-400ppm. Thats a big difference. But I have no real idea not having tried it.

But if you are going to try this I'd make a few suggestions

• Try use a good brewers yeast. They produce CO2 for longer since they are less worried about the alcohol levels
  • Google "long lasting diy co2 generator". There are recipes that use molasses / marmite / protein formulas. When I was doing DIY CO2 a mix like that nearly doubled the time the yeast would produce CO2
  • In aquariums the second bottle is to stop yeast getting into the tank (the pipe should be in the water for that to work ideally). Perhaps optional for a tent?

when i first looked into this, i found on another forum, the dude was getting about 800ppm with a yeast reactor, like mine & a little co2 bomb using lemon juice & bicarb. but anyways, i'll stop using them soon, i saw that gthydro has CO2 tabs that you drop some water & voila.

you only really need to add about 3-400ppm to your air, but thats if you saturating the air in the space. the way i see it, CO2 is much heavier than air, & if you could see it, it would run out of the pipe like a stream from a tap, over your plants, so its more direct, i may be wrong,  but thats how i've been looking at it. I'm sure you would hit 7-800ppm in like a 1x1m tent with this, if you do the maths, it pumps out about 360ml of CO2 in an hour, & i've defs seen a huge improvement by adding them to my room.

your aquarium version, you were trying to saturate water not air. the second bottle is there to filter out the alcohol, which will fuck up your plants over night.

@Za Weed Lover i would try it if i were you, costs nothing & it can only benefit your plants✌️

• Like 1

when i first looked into this, i found on another forum, the dude was getting about 800ppm with a yeast reactor, like mine & a little co2 bomb using lemon juice & bicarb. but anyways, i'll stop using them soon, i saw that gthydro has CO2 tabs that you drop some water & voila.
you only really need to add about 3-400ppm to your air, but thats if you saturating the air in the space. the way i see it, CO2 is much heavier than air, & if you could see it, it would run out of the pipe like a stream from a tap, over your plants, so its more direct, i may be wrong,  but thats how i've been looking at it. I'm sure you would hit 7-800ppm in like a 1x1m tent with this, if you do the maths, it pumps out about 360ml of CO2 in an hour, & i've defs seen a huge improvement by adding them to my room.
your aquarium version, you were trying to saturate water not air. the second bottle is there to filter out the alcohol, which will fuck up your plants over night.
@Za Weed Lover i would try it if i were you, costs nothing & it can only benefit your plants
That's true enough