Deficiency - Please help

iHigh

I am growing in coco/autopot  with GHE nutes.

I had a cal/mag issue - which you can see in the first 2 pics. I extra dosed cal/mag and it seems to have receded .

Now I am getting burn on the edges of my leaves, and a slight leaf curl.

it, I tried looking it up, and come up with a potassium deficiency ??

IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG

• Like 1

Sup man, 

It would seem as though the issue is still the magnesium... 

I had a similar situation happen to me not long ago in my hydro... 

I had my plants start exhibiting mag defs on the lover leaves... So I also extra dosed them with calmag. 

The plants growth resumed and flourished... But about a week to 2 weeks after... All my leaves on one plant had major magnesium def symptoms!! 

I was flabbergasted as to what the actual fuck is happening... 

But new growth was beautiful... And still pretty explosive... So I left it as is. 

So tell me... How is your new growth? 

Another note, the older leaves will never heal... Always refer to new growth as an indication of plant happiness 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CreX said:

Sup man, 

It would seem as though the issue is still the magnesium... 

I had a similar situation happen to me not long ago in my hydro... 

I had my plants start exhibiting mag defs on the lover leaves... So I also extra dosed them with calmag. 

The plants growth resumed and flourished... But about a week to 2 weeks after... All my leaves on one plant had major magnesium def symptoms!! 

I was flabbergasted as to what the actual fuck is happening... 

But new growth was beautiful... And still pretty explosive... So I left it as is. 

So tell me... How is your new growth? 

Another note, the older leaves will never heal... Always refer to new growth as an indication of plant happiness 

Thats exactly whats happening to me, my growth has been explosive, still is ...what nutes did you use ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kgrows said:

What water are you using?  What ppm are u adding in calmag? Ph? What GH range of nutes are you using?

Using RO water, ppm about 20, been adding 3-5 teaspoons of cal/mag ( powder ) into about 40L reservoir.Total ppm is about 1800 .  PH is 6.0, and using GHE FloraCoco with Atami coco ( which I didnt dose initially with cal/mag  - idiot ) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, iHigh said:

Thats exactly whats happening to me, my growth has been explosive, still is ...what nutes did you use ?

Mix between nutriplex and 'advanced' nutrients. 

As long as new growth is happy... I would just keep an eye on the affected leaves. That ppm seems a touch high I feel. 

What is the base ppm from the nutrients? 

• Like 1

@iHigh , as @CreX said the new growth is important & the fact that its healthy means that ur not in dire straights. BUT if its a Mg def, Mg is mobile, so it will always start on the lower leaves & work its way up the plant so new growth is not the only indicator you need to look at. with the floracoco series, they add in extra calmag so you dont have to, so i'm guessing that you have an excess which is causing a calmag lockout & perhaps other micro nutes too. Your coco comes pre-buffered with some nutes so buffering is not needed, so its not that either. What i would do if i were you: flush completely, about 30L per pot, add 150ppm calmag to the flush water. drop your ph at the same time to 5.8(this will help with uptake). then stop using calmag, switch it for epsom @150ppm and add your nutes at 1/2 recommended strength, then slowly increase again until your plants are happy af. if you're still in veg, i would also do a 150ppm calmag foliar spray, or if you can get your hands on, kelpak, use that, dont spray during flower.

• Like 3

thanks for info guys  guys - I also thought that using the FloraCoco series would account for the cal/mag issue with Coco, but it seems (Because imho ) , that the amount of cal/mag added in the nutes, the magnesium is not enough for explosive growth and causes a deficiency.

From looking at the deficiency charts, I could also still have a calcium deficiency . Maybe the symptoms of this took longer to come through ?

I havnt done a flush before - due to the amount of work required and complexity  , and really dont want to take them outside - but I think thats what I need to do.

Does my flush water need to be PH adjusted ( I presume also flush with RO water ? )  , should I add cal/mag to the flush water if I am already having a cal/mag issue ?  What about some H2O2 maybe as well in flush water ?

It is 12 days since I flipped. 

CreX..What do you mean by base ppm from Nutrients ?

IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0646.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

lol, they do look good, but i think you do need a good flush, i see your tips are burning a bit too. always ph'd! otherwise it will change your mediums ph, looking at the rest of the plant now i would say dont change your ph during flush keep it where it is currently. i normally flush with tap water for the first 25L & 5L RO at the end, do my checks on runoff & then either flush more or add some low ppm nutes.

check the ppm of your tapwater, if its above 250 dont add calmag. H2O2 will be good for flushing too! will add a lot of O2 into the medium & kill anything bad in the medium & you'll see them really pop afterwards. calmag is to keep your levels in the medium , if you flush through everything you'll get the same defs. check your runoff after the first 5L for ppm & ph to see where you're at & work from there, check again before you use RO, if your levels are too high on runoff then run more water.

also try not to let the coco go bone dry, it will cause a salt build up & burn your plants. other than that i would say stick to what ur doing now, it looks like its working well, just reduce the nutes a bit. you want you base nutes(just the floracoco) at about 850-1200ppm (dbl check GHE recommendations), so you need to add calmag & or epsom, then test ppm & subtract that from the total after adding floracoco to give you your base nute ppm. as a rule of thumb, i always flush in the first 3 weeks of flowering, whether i've had a good or bad veg with the plant.

but again i dont think theres any major issues here, a bit of epsom (sulfur def can look like calmag & N too) should help a shit load.

• Like 1

@iHigh how many plants? if you have a 200l tank, dont bother with tap water. if you do want to flush with it, you have to ph the water first so you would need to put it into a container anyways. the reason why i use tap first is to save RO water, i buy it in 10 & 5L bottles every few weeks so it becomes a waste for me to dump 100+L of RO for flushing, i save it for feeding etc

1 hour ago, Kgrows said:

@iHigh how many plants? if you have a 200l tank, dont bother with tap water. if you do want to flush with it, you have to ph the water first so you would need to put it into a container anyways. the reason why i use tap first is to save RO water, i buy it in 10 & 5L bottles every few weeks so it becomes a waste for me to dump 100+L of RO for flushing, i save it for feeding etc

You purchase RO water for your plants? Wow ok.
I can't justify that, I don't think the difference is big enough - I would purchase a RO system but not water.

Isn't it normally around R1 per L? On my flowering plants I currently use at least 18L per feed and feed at least twice a week.

So R36 a week, R144 a month. R360 for flowering if you are going for 10 weeks. Surely it must work out cheaper to just purchase an RO system in the long run?

• Like 1

with pot size, I need about 350L  to do a proper flush.

RO units are great, but wastage is ridiculous. Summer I will try harvest rainwater.

In theory, the chlorine/chloromine and other shit in tap water, shouldnt do any harm to plants in coco, because theres no living organism in the substrate to keep alive ?

Edited by iHigh

32 minutes ago, iHigh said:

In theory, the chlorine/chloromine and other shit in tap water, shouldnt do any harm to plants in coco, because theres no living organism in the substrate to keep alive ?

Yup, that is what most of the experts say. It certainly simplifies things for us coco growers 🙂 

@PsyCLown indeed it would be in the long run, just for feeds i use about 10L per feed, twice a week, refill my bottles once a month, so i spend about R100 a month on RO. its about R3500 for a good RO system, min. so it would take 3 years to recoup, in between there are diaphragms and filters you need to keep changing too. i have looked at it but figured the cost vs the inconvenience - the bottles win for now. will look at it again in the future if i expand my grow. In the meantime i've got more important things, on which seems like a never ending list of upgrades, to do in my grow room.✌️

@iHigh so what i would do is flush with Ph'd tap water, what is the ppm? then run like the last 10L through each pot with RO, also ph'd, with the calmag & h2o2 (go like 1%), then final 1/2 strength feed wash through, ie runoff. Your plants can get chlorosis from too much chlorine, so you need to make sure its below max 300ppm.

• Like 2

When you run water through for a flush it will change the PH of the medium if its not the same (thats how you do it when correcting PH). You want the medium at the correct PH not only the feed or flush water. in coco, you displace the water thats already in the pot(why i dont mind using ph'd tap for the first few flushes), but the PH of the medium will equalise between the feed water & the mediums's ph . If you grow organically, by all means, use tap water, but with synthetic nutes & coco you need to be precise. if you run 30L of ph 8 through a 30L pot with coco at 5.8, your run off will come in at about 6.9, check me if you want.

• Like 1