Ms Tanja

Tanjam

Hello;)  I am a first-time grower and my seedlings are three weeks old-I want to transplant them soon but am not sure which size pots are appropiate and also if I must use one plant per pot?

I live in Middelburg, Mpumalanga and am not hopeful that the local garden centres will have organic soil-will a good potting soil do?

I would be grateful for any info, thanks;)

• Like 1

Hello;)  I am a first-time grower

Welcome and I hope you learn lots of new things.

my seedlings are three weeks old-I want to transplant them soon but am not sure which size pots are appropiate and also if I must use one plant per pot?

Seeing that you are planting in those 6 pack trays you can let them grow in there until about the 3rd set of leaves start developing. When you germinate, under what light will it be or are you doing an outdoor grow ???

Regarding pot size I personally would transplant to one of those 15 cm pots when they are ready

a6dddd0df2911967e0e69a4992dc623f.jpg.

From there you can go bigger etc. What seeds do you have going.???

I live in Middelburg, Mpumalanga and am not hopeful that the local garden centres will have organic soil-will a good potting soil do?

I've been on vacation to Polokwane but that's all I know outside of Western Cape. LoL. So I'm sorry but I can't help you regarding the Nurseries there. The name Middleburg makes it sound dry and well,....kakkerig.

But if none of them can help you with proper soil, try making your own soilles mix. I can always pop into my local Build it and get a block of palm peat and a bag of Vermiculite. Add some seagro to your shopping basket and your set on basic grow medium that will not let you overwater your plants.

Anything else, just ask. I'm sure someone else will give some advice. Mine is purely on the cheapest and quickest way to get things going....

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant-thanks so much;) I just chucked in seeds from the last decent lot that I had-ever the optimist, I have high hopes;))  Middelburg isn't that great but the soil is good and I have plenty of space - just wish I'd done this years ago!!

• Like 1

Hello;)  I am a first-time grower and my seedlings are three weeks old-I want to transplant them soon but am not sure which size pots are appropiate and also if I must use one plant per pot?
The guys from organics matters are around the corner in Nelspruit. I am sure they can sort you out with a couple of bags. I would get any plastic pot/bag from 2-5L for now. You can transplant again later.0cc337d0e61a9652f1dab072fd6fd020.jpg

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Brilliant-thanks so much;) I just chucked in seeds from the last decent lot that I had-ever the optimist, I have high hopes;))  Middelburg isn't that great but the soil is good and I have plenty of space - just wish I'd done this years ago!!
Atleast your doing it now.....

• Like 1

I'm enjoying the Organic Matters soil, well worth it if you want some proper soil.

I prefer it over the Freedom Farms soil.

Good luck with your grow, you can get smaller pots or go for a larger pot right away (like 20L +)

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I thought I'd go for smaller ones first because I have a lot more newbies than expected!
You must remember that you have planted very early in the season. And if you have planted photoperiod seeds they will become quite large. You will need big pots or you will need to plant directly into the ground.

• Thanks 1

put  in a 5l and then into their final pots.lol...do u have someone to help move them cause a 20 l soil pot be kinda heavy

20L can still be moved relatively easily, the issue is the pot size after 20L which you'll use to flower... That's gonna be big and heavy.

Best to pick a spot and leave it there.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Last year I planted 12 September and I grew in coco coir/perlite using a 25L pot. I should've planted later or gotten a 40L pot.

I planted early Desember. Plants stayed nice and small. About 75cm. I prefer it that way. Will plant autos early and photos later. Think beginning of November.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smelly Joe said:

Last year I planted 12 September and I grew in coco coir/perlite using a 25L pot. I should've planted later or gotten a 40L pot.

Yeah I did plant early - I have lots of seeds so may plant again later;)

1 hour ago, SkunkPharm said:

I planted early Desember. Plants stayed nice and small. About 75cm. I prefer it that way. Will plant autos early and photos later. Think beginning of November.

I shall research autos and photos-haven't heard of them;)