Daggafontein Genetics

DG test grow #1 - Freedom Farms organic craft soil

Posted (edited)

DAY 1 - 15 August 2019

So we might as well be the first forum test grow of our genetics and we have chosen a medium becoming very popular in our local market. I like to do this every few weeks, test a batch for germination. This batch will be grown to full term using Freedom Farms organic craft soil. We usually mix our own, but I have heard a lot of good things about this mix and wanted to try it for myself. http://www.freedomfarms.co.za/

What we have here are our 3 strains, DG Buffalo Cheese, DG Candy iV and DG Diesoline and unnamed test strain #4 germinating in only a coco, perlite and vermiculite mix. No nutes and just good old rain water. The pots are from www.growkit.co.za and will be potted directly inside a smaller pot till the root ball takes shape. The seeds were planted directly in this mix, just less than 1cm deep. No pre-soak. The trays were filled with water, the grow medium and cups absorbed the water to provide enough moisture for the seeds. There is enough nutrients in a seed to sustain it for quite a bit, so I don't use any at this stage.

IMG_1701-2.thumb.jpg.4b81acfdae094fe809c9cfdb49e3ec42.jpg

100% germination success rate. Sweetlings! Seeds germinated between 3-5 days, with DG Diesoline the last to show. Also the tallest after 12 days. Time to get them into the organic soil. 

IMG_1807-960px.jpg.53d269591112abb4a77172b9928babaf.jpg

IMG_1813-3.jpg.ae299857c0263fbee7b2ec367eb6df28.jpg

IMG_1825-3.jpg.028fff074401e188767257a8a0c2ae0b.jpg

The plants look a little like they need some nutrients, but they should get that from the soil now for the next 2-6 weeks. As soon as the root balls look strong, we will move them to their final pots.

More to follow....

Happy growing 🙂 💚🌱💛🌱❤️

Edited by Daggafontein Genetics
  • Like 4

DAY 25

All growing beautifully after last weeks epic sunshine. I've still not added any nutrients. Just rainwater and recycling some of the runoff back into the plants.

IMG_1909.thumb.jpg.b00c8b19f5153f46af6ebcd5024baf93.jpg

I'm using scooby-doo wire to give the plants a little bit of support against the wind. I like this method, as the wire has plastic coating to help prevent bruising, with quite a bit of bendy give, and still allowing the plant some movement to strengthen it. Mind you Nr.1 on the far right, got flattened by a football and miraculously survived! 🙏

IMG_1891.thumb.jpg.c7b7032c0b9ca5268506bd1d9ef74cc3.jpg

Love the symmetry in these early stages 🌱

IMG_1883.thumb.jpg.8c113febbb5811f2e4f9daf08aee3dfe.jpg

• Like 3