750w DIY COB v2

Trailblazer420

They should arrive in the next few days... Either 12v or 220v 50w COBs, whichever arrives first. Getting the frame ready so it's plug and play :).

I managed to dig out a 1250w server PSU, so I'll be replacing the current one with that since the 12v cobs are starting to look a little dim on my first build. I need a total of 4 of these to cover my grow area.

This one is starting to take shape...

I'm going to leave my first one as is for vegging, so I'll build 3 of these for my flowering tent 8cffecb611c4433d4c73f56c6ea71161.jpg5b763c12f575f054d6c9e2a5e59973d1.jpg5dcde56962c89c191eb58fae7ced29cc.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

At 750W, (500w flower 12hrs/day, 250w veg 18hrs/day?) you'll end up spending a lot more in the long run with cheapies.

12*0.5 = 6 kWh
18*0.25 = 4.5 kWh
10.5 units * 30 days = 315 units/month
That'll put you in a residential bracket, so at minimum, R1.90/unit. Or about R600/month.

Migro measured the efficacy of two ebay AC COBs to be 0.29 ppfd/watt for the purple, and 0.65 ppfd/watt for the warm white. So let's say 0.45 as an average.

So 750w of 0.45 ppfd/watt AC COBs are equivalent to 168W of a decent 2 ppfd/watt light.

At the same 2/3 division of 12/18 hours/day, you'd spend
12*0.111=1.34 units
18*0.056=1 unit
2.34 units * 30 days = 70.2 units
Or, R133.38/ month on electricity.

So if the efficient, expensive light costs R3500, for example, and the DIY AC COBs cost R350, for example,

3500+133x=350+600x
x= 6.74 months

So that's how long you can use it (assuming they last that long) until it starts costing R467/month more to run the DIY setup.

Anyway that's my party pooping 2c.

• Agree 2

Math is pretty sound

And 6 months is not a long time... 

It's just that initial outlay that most okes can't reach.... 

It's either get the cheap DIY setup... And GROW!!! 

Or save for 6 months, and not grow for 6 months... Most peeps with throw alil waste money toward extra elec, than be unable to grow for that length of time.

Such a tough one bru. 

• Like 1

With lights there is always a play off, unless you are able to afford some decent grow lights once off.

I personally feel it is worth finding the cash to get good quality LED grow lights. Will save you a lot of money in the long run!

Not just because you do not need to purchase better lights later on, but you will be saving on electricity too!

• Like 2

There's a spectrum, *cough*, of compromise.  AC COBs are on the far cheap-up-front end of that spectrum.  

AC COBs are just super inefficient and dangerous
(1) the IC driver tech is not very good yet, and
(2) those cheap COBs use inefficient blue LEDs hitting inefficient red phosphors, instead of just using red LEDs.  
(3) They can kill you or give you nerve damage, if you have an accident with exposed AC, and no grounding wire.

@Trailblazer420 - Please put some hot glue or silicone over the AC pads.  Do it for the children

• 2 weeks later...

So the 12v cobs have not yet arrived so I climbed into my 50w 220v cobs to finish this project, but still need to get some pc fans for cooling. Much less effort than the strips I used in version 1.

Waiting for epoxy to dry on terminals and where the cables go through the alu, then time for the wiring 0dee0521f15de3085a96c9d00efbe748.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk